Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
That sounds like a great idea. Can you share more details on how you implemented this? Did you use a valve controlled by a 12V solenoid? Does it involve some sort of timer circuit?
Sure:

This is under the sink:
IMG_6148.jpg
I tee'd into the hot water feed to the faucet as close as possible to the fixture. (There is also a tee in the cold feed--that one is for my Keurig auto-fill, which is another story).

This tee is under the vehicle, in the line between the fresh tank and the water pump (so it is a suction line, not a pressure line).
IMG_6154.jpg

There is a momentary contact switch under the counter near the sink:
IMG_6152.jpg

It is connected to a programmable timer like this one:
Timer2.jpg

When you press the button, it opens this valve for 10 seconds:
valve.jpg
This causes 10 seconds of looped flow from the faucet feed, through the valve, back to the pump input, through the hot water heater and back to the faucet feed.

When you want hot water, you just press the button once, wait till the pump stops humming, and off you go.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
Platinum Member

AVANTI - thanks for the details. I think I’ll do something similar, but without the timer. That would just require holding the switch ON for 10 seconds or so to get hot water at faucet.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Morning as I read some but not all post and got to thinking there may be an odor issue? with the septic smells which lick out while showering. From our first RV we have always added this onto our top septic vent pipe. This is very easy to fit onto the Septic roof vent and works moving or not moving and with NO inside odors.

https://www.campingworld.com/cyclone...er-accessories

This may do what you want, in coving the Potti set-top while showering. But understand this is made for someone who can not use the bathroom on there own and fits inside of a bucket. But I think it would cover the set area and last a while doing what you want. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/TidyCare-Comm...406865&sr=8-67
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
Site Team

Why would showering produce odors?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Why would showering produce odors?

The only way I can think of would be because the water going into the grey tank pushes out some air through a trap leak or dry trap. Shouldn't have anything to do with the black tank unless they are combined. Grey tanks can smell as bad a black tanks sometimes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #26
Platinum Member

In less humid and dry climates in high heat and mountain driving to slosh out the bathroom floor drain can dry out quite frequently thus introduce odors. The grey tank can have more of a rotten egg smell in my experience. Showering is a no brainer way to keep the trap filled and thus odor free. The roof vent is combined on my van and that is a different issue if not venting properly and has no relation to showering that I have experienced since the grey tank odor is no way related to the black tank odor.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #27
Platinum Member

With the black tank I'm able to get into the tank through the toilet with a wand and give it a good spraying. What's the best way to periodically clean the grey tank? Thx.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
. . . From our first RV we have always added this onto our top septic vent pipe. This is very easy to fit onto the Septic roof vent and works moving or not moving and with NO inside odors. . .
I think there is a better vent cap than the Cyclone Sewer Vent you linked. It is the 360 Siphon Roof Vent Cap. I have two on on my van, installed by Airstream, for the black and gray tank vents.

https://www.lci1.com/360-siphon

They are widely available on-line and at RV supply shops. Advantage - no moving parts to fail and lower profile.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #29
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
With the black tank I'm able to get into the tank through the toilet with a wand and give it a good spraying. What's the best way to periodically clean the grey tank? Thx.
I got to thinking that I don't do that at home, so I gave it up in the B years ago. B's happy, just a few farts out the roof vent.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I put strainers on my sink drains and bathroom floor drain to keep solids and hair out of the grey tank. What few there is I assume they get suspended and flushed out. Hair is the main culprit and it definitely gets carried to the macerator blades. There should be no wand spraying needed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #31

as to the op's question, here is the link for a cover

https://alcocovers.com/product/custo...SABEgKz2PD_BwE
boutdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #32
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutdone View Post
as to the op's question, here is the link for a cover

https://alcocovers.com/product/custo...SABEgKz2PD_BwE
Thank you, perfect! That is exactly what I have been looking for.

Not really interested in all of the reasons I don't need one...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Roadtech -
Like BillsPaseo stated for his Paseo RV, our WINNEBAGO Travato 59K also has a cloth material that drys in an hour. Less than an hour. I don't know what the material is but it's great. In the Travato, it is put up on button snaps which my wife and I at first thought would be cumbersome and time consuming. Not so! Taking it down and letting it hang for a short time and except for the shower floor, there is virtually little else we have to wipe dry. It helps that the Travato and I hope other brands/models have excellent ventilation not only in the shower area but in the living area. Like except for the back door windows and of course the windshield, literally all other windows can be opened if we need them to. Not so in some, like not all of them open in new THOR Sequence for example. But that is in part how they got their cost/sell price down. I will say those particular windows (RAM factory) look nicer but if you want convenient cross air while your resting or nearer to the bathroom door for drying out faster (maybe), you will have to go the galley end to open the windows there.

I checked out a new 2020 THOR Sequence in other ways and they have a very nice, pretty smooth operating sliding curtain. That would seem to be better than the WB method except my wife and I separately came to the same conclusion that when pushed the Sequence curtain to one side, it sort of takes up some room versus taking down our buttoned curtain. Splitting hairs; I might like the Sequence setup better in real shower-life. I can just say that by time we take down our curtain, its dry and it's not even an hour yet. But if you have a flat roof in the Paseo's bathroom, you might check out the THOR Sequence to see if you can go that way. If you still have nightmares of how ERWIN HYMER made their terrible hacksaw (no kidding) version of this, no worries. THOR did this right, with forethought of providing a flatter surface to locate this rail on in the first place.

I will add if anybody is interested that THOR's overall duplication of what I hear is the best selling (I haven't 2nd source confirmed) WB Travato looks very good. It does cut some corners in clever ways that are at first look, hard to pick out. And they did blaze a trail on a few different things like the dual drawers in the floor-step to the drivers area and maybe better I think, solid shower pocket doors. I can estimate most of why there is a nearly big dollar-tab difference but really can't pick at how they did their version. Buyers have to decide. And realize what is different that could require real world experience to see/figure out. I'd buy another Travato myself but I am suggesting some of my friends check out the Sequence. Anyway, check out their shower curtain rail if the Paseo does not have. If not, maybe you can implement it in your Paseo.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #34

Default My two cents

I have a C Head composting toilet in my Pleasure wet bath. I just cover the whole toilets with a large trash bag. It keeps the the whole unit dry.
Matt o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #35
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
From our first RV we have always added this onto our top septic vent pipe. This is very easy to fit onto the Septic roof vent and works moving or not moving and with NO inside odors.

https://www.campingworld.com/cyclone...er-accessories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I think there is a better vent cap than the Cyclone Sewer Vent you linked. It is the 360 Siphon Roof Vent Cap. I have two on on my van, installed by Airstream, for the black and gray tank vents.

https://www.lci1.com/360-siphon

They are widely available on-line and at RV supply shops. Advantage - no moving parts to fail and lower profile.
Interesting and simple solutions. However, as I recall from physics class, "The RV Doctor" must be a quack. In the 2nd solution -- the 360 Siphon -- he claims that its positive pressure in the black tank that is creating the odor and the 360 Siphon solves the problem by producing a negative pressure in the blank tank.

His conclusions are correct but his science is not. See https://youtu.be/CVcwc28PinQ?t=54

This cannot be true since that would have the exact opposite effect that is wanted. The air at the exhaust outlet would fill the tank and trap air inside the black tank and possibly find some other outlet. He has it exactly backwards.

The venturi action creates a negative pressure outside the tank (at the vent opeining) allowing tank gas to be literally sucked out -- the pressure is positive inside the tank

It seems the venturi effect would be more pronounced in the first (Cyclone Sewer Vent) solution. Maybe I am wrong about all of this. Any fluid dynamists out there?

How do these solutions compare to a SOG?
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:52 PM   #36
Platinum Member

I do not use my shower in my Trend and use a rubber stopper in the shower drain to keep it from drying out or letting odors into the MH. I refill the drain trap every so often to keep it wet.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
I do not use my shower in my Trend and use a rubber stopper in the shower drain to keep it from drying out or letting odors into the MH. I refill the drain trap every so often to keep it wet.
Pouring in just a bit of cooking oil would stop the evaporation as it floats on water.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post
Interesting and simple solutions. However, as I recall from physics class, "The RV Doctor" must be a quack. In the 2nd solution -- the 360 Siphon -- he claims that its positive pressure in the black tank that is creating the odor and the 360 Siphon solves the problem by producing a negative pressure in the blank tank.

His conclusions are correct but his science is not. See https://youtu.be/CVcwc28PinQ?t=54

This cannot be true since that would have the exact opposite effect that is wanted. The air at the exhaust outlet would fill the tank and trap air inside the black tank and possibly find some other outlet. He has it exactly backwards.

The venturi action creates a negative pressure outside the tank (at the vent opeining) allowing tank gas to be literally sucked out -- the pressure is positive inside the tank

It seems the venturi effect would be more pronounced in the first (Cyclone Sewer Vent) solution. Maybe I am wrong about all of this. Any fluid dynamists out there?

How do these solutions compare to a SOG?
I am not fluid dynamic expert either but think that venturi will generate negative pressure in the black tank. I am not getting your point.

I am not fluid dynamic expert either but think that venturi will generate negative pressure in the black tank. I am not getting your point.

SOG is OK for cassette toilets without vents, my 402C has built in vent so no need for SOG.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Pouring in just a bit of cooking oil would stop the evaporation as it floats on water.
We also use oil in our vacation place which is vacant for 9 month per year. This year will be ultimate test after almost 2 years vacancy.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #40
Bronze Member

If I had a wet bath, I would simply put a heavy weight trash bag over the throne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Anyone found a source for a waterproof cover to put over toilet during shower to keep toilet dry in a wet bath?
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote