Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 01:18 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Wet Bath Toilet Cover

Anyone found a source for a waterproof cover to put over toilet during shower to keep toilet dry in a wet bath?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I never worry about keeping the toilet dry when showering, but I do notice a good bit of shower water finds it's way into the toilet bowl. It would only be a problem on a long shower (longer that I take in my rv) and if there was a danger of overflow, I could always flush mid shower.

But I've wondered how the water gets in there.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default I don't know too many people even using the shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I never worry about keeping the toilet dry when showering, but I do notice a good bit of shower water finds it's way into the toilet bowl. It would only be a problem on a long shower (longer that I take in my rv) and if there was a danger of overflow, I could always flush mid shower.

But I've wondered how the water gets in there.
How much water do you typically have left? Enough hot water?

We have never used ours... But, it's a waterproof room..how does water get in the toilet with the lid closed?

Is there that much of a gap?? I've never noticed any space that large. Now I'll have to check...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We take "Navy" showers and would never fill a toilet bowl even if we left the seat and lid up. Taking showers is the easiest way to keep the bathroom clean and odor free (from external sources outside the bowl). It's a small bathroom. It is no great chore wiping it down.

If you are obsessed with it. Dometic makes slip over covers for their toilet. It probably came originally with most vans and quickly got put away or lost. All my three vans came with covers. You can probably purchase replacements.

Edit: Navy shower: Wet down. Turn off. Wash down. Turn on. Rinse. You can also fill the sink with water until it turns hot and then use it for wash down.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Agree. We have only used the tiny wet bath in our PW Plateau FL when camped for a week at an RV park with no shower faciities. I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that the experience was better than I expected. Helps that we are both on the small side I'm sure.

Using the "Navy shower" method used very little water and I didn't really notice any finding its way into the toilet.

Clean up and drying the shower was a breeze - walls didn't seem tp get that wet at all. I just used a dedicated microfibre cloth to dry everything. As mentioned, a bonus is that the whole bathroom gets a clean up!

Still prefer to use a campground shower when there is one (and when it isn't in disgusting condition) but good to know that there is no problem using the one in th van when needed, tiny as it may be.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Our van has an L-shaped shower curtain track that allows the curtain to be pulled so as to protect the toilet as well as the doors. Works nicely, and you can leave stuff like towels and glasses on the toilet seat to keep them dry. This means that there are only two walls to dry off after the shower. They are smooth, seamless fiberglass so a squeegee makes quick work of this.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We use our shower a lot - every other day. We do the Navy shower as Davydd described above, and if we're boondocking, we will stand in a plastic tub while showering to catch most of the water, which then gets dumped in the woods. Our shower is fairly roomy though, and has a shower curtain that drapes over the toilet (separate from the waterproof sliding door that encloses the bathroom) and diverts most of the water away from it (it doesn't seal, it just keeps most of it off). We keep a small towel in the van that's sole purpose is to wipe down the shower. So we both take a shower, then one of us does a quick wipe down. The bathroom fan does a really good job of exhausting the moisture.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Are you concerned about water on the shower curtain??

Do you try and wipe down the excess water on the plastic curtain or just let it air dry?!!

We have an exhaust fan in the bathroom...does this work OK????

I think we might actually try the shower sometime...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Our curtain is some kind of quick dry cloth material, not plastic. I just shake it out, and it will be dry in about an hour. It tucks back into a corner behind the toilet where it is out of the way, and doesn't really matter if it is damp.

The exhaust fan in the bathroom really moves a lot of air. We keep it running while we are showering to keep the humidity down. It works really well. On a really humid rainy day it might not be as effective, but most of our multi-day camping is in arid climates. On short weekend trips we don't need to use the shower, which works out well here in the PNW where winter time humidity is generally 80-90%...
Old 01-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
Site Team

For those just discovering the joys of actually using your shower:
One thing to note is not to leave the bottom of the shower curtain in contact with the damp shower floor. It will inevitably get mold growth if you do. Install a little strap that permits you to keep it off the floor where it will drip dry quickly.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My 97 PW has a small bath. Never used the diverter shower. My problem is not so much using up fresh water but filling grey. Here's my Navy shower.

1. Run sink hot water into coffee pot until it comes out hot. Dump outside.
2. Fill 16oz squeeze/water bottle with warm water.
3. Put some water in sink.
4. Wash face down to arms with washcloth from sink.
5. Wash hair.
6. Use squeeze bottle to get suds out of hair, into sink.
7. Refill bottle
8. Use washcloth to soap rest of body.
9. Use squeeze bottle to rinse rest of body including arms.

After drying off and getting dressed, I first use soft window squeegee to get most of the water from bath walls and floor. Then wipe with washcloth.
Don't use much water and more important for me, don't put much into the grey tank. Probably NOT for everyone, but it works for me.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #12
Platinum Member

My previous unit, a Kimberley Karavan, had a cassette toilet in the very small combo bathroom/toilet. The seat cover on the toilet was smaller than the seating ring, which meant that a fair amount of shower water would get into the toilet, if it wasn't covered; and with a small cassette to be dumped, it was beneficial keep water out of the toilet. Kimberley had a removable soft vinyl cover to protect it.

My current Coachmen Galleria has the Showermiser. This allows you to run the shower water back into the fresh water tank until the hot water reaches the shower head. This saves fresh water and minimizes the fill of the grey water tank. And it does work!

Being a big ox (6'4" and 270 lbs) means that I don't use it all that often. Combat Wipes do a pretty good job instead.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:59 AM   #13
Platinum Member

So is the Showermiser similar to the recirculating systems that homes have to get hot water to the furthest faucet?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
So is the Showermiser similar to the recirculating systems that homes have to get hot water to the furthest faucet?
I don't know what is used in homes. Here is a link to the page that describes what it does in an RV.

https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/

PS - The page can be slow to load.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
I don't know what is used in homes. Here is a link to the page that describes what it does in an RV.

https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/

PS - The page can be slow to load.
For me and how I roll this seems pointless.

When setting up for a shower I use a remote meat thermometer to get the water heater temp at a suitable level so I don't have to adjust the water temp coming out of the shower head. Once done, I purge the water line into a sauce pan for other uses, 2-3 quarts. I normally use on board water for almost all water uses, including drinking, unless I loaded some unpleasant tasting water somewhere. (The city water public tap in Granby, CO for one).
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #16
Site Team

I installed a recirc loop in the hot water feed of our galley sink. You press a button and a valve opens for 10 seconds, looping the not-yet-hot water back to before the pump. Works great, saves lots of water and costs around $15 or so.

One could do the same with a shower. I didn't bother because our shower (a) is very close to the flash-plate instant water heater of our Rixons/Espar system, and (b) the heater has a tempering valve that is set to shower temperatures, so no adjustment is necessary.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
How much water do you typically have left? Enough hot water?

We have never used ours... But, it's a waterproof room..how does water get in the toilet with the lid closed?

Is there that much of a gap?? I've never noticed any space that large. Now I'll have to check...
We typically get by on a single 6 gal. water heater cycle. With the navy shower technique, I heat up the water, turn it off, and hot/warm water lasts for two quick showers (at least in mild or warm weather days). So my guess is less than ten gallons and probably significantly less, but I never measured precisely since we shower when we have full water and sewer hookups.

In the case of full hookups, we hardly need to take the navy showers but it's just part of our routine. If I were to have city water and run the water heater on both propane and electricity it doubles the recovery time. With sewer hookups, you'd be able to shower almost like at home as gray water tank would not fill up.

For several trips, my wife refused to use the rv wetbath and used campsite showers only. Once I convinced her to try showering in the rv, she liked it. We both discovered that sitting on the toilet seat while soaping up will create a slippery surface and use a padded non-slip cushion on the toilet seat now.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
…………………… We both discovered that sitting on the toilet seat while soaping up will create a slippery surface and use a padded non-slip cushion on the toilet seat now.
…which could be a very good way to prevent water going into the toilet.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
Platinum Member

There is the toilet bowl rim, seat and lid. It would help if we could get our definitions right.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I installed a recirc loop in the hot water feed of our galley sink. You press a button and a valve opens for 10 seconds, looping the not-yet-hot water back to before the pump. Works great, saves lots of water and costs around $15 or so.

One could do the same with a shower. I didn't bother because our shower (a) is very close to the flash-plate instant water heater of our Rixons/Espar system, and (b) the heater has a tempering valve that is set to shower temperatures, so no adjustment is necessary.
That sounds like a great idea. Can you share more details on how you implemented this? Did you use a valve controlled by a 12V solenoid? Does it involve some sort of timer circuit?