Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2022, 07:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Wet Carpet

Noticed that there was some wetness on the passenger side carpet after a recent rain storm. I was able to see the wetness concentrated near the black plastic foot well and thought that was the only area that was wet. I then did an internet search on wet carpet on passenger side Chevy Express van. Found out that this is a fairly common issue with these vans as there is a drain underneath the black cowling in front of the windshield that gets clogged with leaves and other debris.

I took off the passenger side windshield wiper and then removed the small black screws that attach the cowling to the body - this allowed me to move the cowling enough to get a look in there:

On the above picture, on the left side where you see the most "white" underneath there there is a rectangular drain hole that has a hose attached that drops down behind the coolant reservoir and exits out the bottom to the ground. This is the drain for the area under the cowling which needs to be open and clear for the water to exit that area. When I took a flashlight and looked in there it looked like someone had dumped their used coffee grounds in there. There was approximately 2 cups of that stuff in there and the drain was completely clogged - there was a lake in there.

I then took a 36 inch long cable tie and stuck it down the drain hose behind the rectangular hole - which was filled with water - and moved it back and forth until there was some opening in the hose which allowed the water to begin streaming out - not gushing mind you like it should have been. I then took a hose and put some water in there and kept moving the cable tie until it did finally gush out. Then I put more water in there to clean it all out. That was done - good news there.

Now I removed the plastic kick panel and the black foot well cover and started lifting the carpet expecting to find a little bit of moisture under there. What I found was a lake under there. Because the carpet has a rubber backing it did not appear to be wet, however it was very wet. Here is a picture of the carpet lifter up:

On the picture directly to the right of the engine cover there is a black curved piece of plastic. That is where the water comes into the passenger side of the floor when the cowl area is flooded. I used towels to dry up as much of the fllor as I could in the picture, however I found out that the entire floor was wet - both driver and passenger side. The entire carpet needs to be taken out and dried and the floor needs to be dried out. If I had not found this I am certain that the floor would have rusted out and there would have been serious mold growth in my van. Not good things to have to deal with.

Bottomline - Probably a good idea to take some time and check the cowl area and confirm that the drain hose is functioning because you can have a wet floor and not even be aware of it.

Out
Old 08-31-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Our 07 doesn't even have a hose on it, never did and we bought it new.

The water comes out at the bottom of the plenum and runs down the firwall and then down the right frame rail before dripping out.

Many people have had plugged AC drain holes just like this because of the hoses and I think the manufacturers are going away from then. Bugs love to live, and die, up in the hoses.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Like your 07, my 05 has the nipple at the drain

roll it in the fingers to clear the dried leaves n stuff.
remove the fan for vacuum hose access
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Just got done taking the seats out as well as the carpet. Lots of black mold and standing water under there along with the beginning of some rust. Just glad that I caught it in time because that standing water would have stayed under there wet forever with that rubber backed carpet. Thinking of going the OEM rubber floor mat route and getting rid of the carpet altogether. Any thoughts on that?
Old 09-01-2022, 01:17 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I'd be adding some insulation from the heat of the drivetrain under the carpet or matting you decide to use.
While you have your seats out, replacing the seat base is quick and easy- I bought from "the seat shop" on amazon- seats are so much better for long days- the old were just worn out.
I also took the swivels apart, cleaned out the old lube which had attracted dirt, and re-lubed ...1 finger swivel
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:32 AM   #6
Platinum Member

The seats are still in good condition and very comfortable. The carpet has insulation attached in the areas where it would provide the needed protection. That being said - those are completely good observations - I am going to take the swivels apart and clean and lube them. a one finger swivel would be nice! Thanks
Old 09-01-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Do not own this type of RV now but check the gasket around the engine cover. This could be where your water is coming in as both sides are wet.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote