Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Default WGO 59K Height Dimension Issue

Hi Everyone: I am a brand new forum member. My wife and I are retirees living in Prescott, Arizona. We are presently seriously shopping for a class B. We have narrowed our search to a WGO 59K due to our sizes, 6’ 0” and 5’ 7”, and our preferred sleeping arrangement when we travel. The 59K is a perfect match for us (albeit the refrigerator is awfully small).

So, the purpose of this post is to attempt to learn more specific and detailed information about the height dimensions of the 59K. The reason we ask is that we have a large 3-car garage that we might be able to modify in order to keep a 59K here at our house inside and out of the harsh Arizona sun. We are at 5,600 feet in elevation and the sunlight (UV) is intense. Our garage floor to ceiling height varies as the floor is sloped from back to front (assuming all garage floors are like that). The shortest floor to ceiling height is 9’3” at the back and 9’7” where the garage door would be (we would have to have it raised to something higher from it’s present height.). So, the question we have is what is the actual ground to top height of the 59K AC unit housing and the TV antenna? The 59K literature lists the external height as 9'4". But what specifically is the tallest item? These are the two tallest objects not readily removable on the coach roof. Where I am going with this is, that at first glance, it appears that the TV antenna is taller than the AC unit. If that’s the case, then I would wonder if the TV antenna could be removed or replaced with something shorter as TV is not a big priority with my wife and me. The objective here is to determine how high a garage door modification needs to be to get the coach inside (e.g., could the TV antenna be removed?).

I did call Winnebago and asked about height dimensions but I was unsuccessful in getting the specific information that I needed. So, I wonder if anyone has any dimensional information about what I’ve inquired about here. I know all of this sounds a little crazy, but my thinking is the re-sale value of the 59K in a few years will be worth more if stored inside as would be the value of my home. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Jim
James_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Silver Member

Hi James, I am kind of going through the same thing so I will be paying attention to what ever answers you get here. I will have to install a new garage door to get the Travato into the garage. I figure I will need at least a 9'6' high (or better) opening and same height door. You describe your ceiling height as 9'3" to 9'7", is that the height of the ceiling or the height of where where the garage door will be when it is up in the open position?
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I don't know which AC unit Winnebago uses but our Dometic low profile AC unit is 9.5" tall. I think Coleman makes a unite that is 8.5". Those would be the lowest height units available I think.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

FWIW, the height under the opener and it's track need to be considered.
There are side lift mechanisms that can replace the normal overhead units if needed.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #6
jon
Platinum Member

If the ceiling hight is an issue for overhead garage doors. Carriage doors are an option:
Homemade "Carriage House" Garage Doors: 14 Steps (with Pictures)
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #7

BBQ: Thanks for your response and your effort to supply the drawings. Unfortuntely, they really don't provide me with the information that I need. They show the simple body dimensions. But an actual model has an AC unit, TV antenna, and other fittings on the coach roof. What I need is the actual hieght off the ground to the top of the AC unit housing and to the top of the TV antenna at its highest point. If there were no coach roof fixtures, then this whole issue would be moot as I would not have a vertical clearance issue.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The big question when you go to make a door opening higher is where the header is, how much room there is, and how big does the header have to be. Many headers are below the top plate, so you can't get near the actual ceiling height on them. That was how ours was so the highest we could go was 9' 3" with our 10' ceiling. The hard part often gets with some of the codes that call out full size for load bearing header sizes even on gable ends built under trusses, which technically don't really even need any vertical support of the roof or floor above. Our rules were that way, but I was able to get legal by doing a smaller height header by using 3 LVL header material pieces with plywood in between, even though they don't really hold up anything. I had to use a low headroom door hardware setup and the opener track is screwed right to the ceiling.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default WGO 59K Height Dimension Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_F View Post
BBQ: Thanks for your response and your effort to supply the drawings. Unfortuntely, they really don't provide me with the information that I need. They show the simple body dimensions. But an actual model has an AC unit, TV antenna, and other fittings on the coach roof. What I need is the actual hieght off the ground to the top of the AC unit housing and to the top of the TV antenna at its highest point. If there were no coach roof fixtures, then this whole issue would be moot as I would not have a vertical clearance issue.

Just go to Winnebago's website and download the Travato brochure.

https://winnebagoind.com/binaries/co...-digital.x.pdf

The 59K height is listed in the brochure as 9'-4".

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruch View Post
Hi James, I am kind of going through the same thing so I will be paying attention to what ever answers you get here. I will have to install a new garage door to get the Travato into the garage. I figure I will need at least a 9'6' high (or better) opening and same height door. You describe your ceiling height as 9'3" to 9'7", is that the height of the ceiling or the height of where where the garage door will be when it is up in the open position?
It depends upon where (front to back in the garage) I measure from the garage floor to the ceiling since the floor is sloped. That's why I quote different ceiling heights depending at what point - front to back - in the garage I measure. For sure, the garage opening needs to be 9'6" high. That I know. And the door when opened cannot be in the way (i.e., cannot simply raise to a position suspended on the celiing.) That's another design issue. But first, I need more specific info on how high off the ground the various fixtures are. Why? Because the smallest vertical measurement in my garage is 9'3". The TV antenna is 7'6" from the front of the 59K. Let's say that the TV antenna is a few inches shorter than my height at that point laterally, then I am OK. (and that's the reason I ask about different antennas that might be lower or removeable.) Winnebago cites that external dimension as 9'4" off the ground. But where is that in relation to the front of the vehcile. If it's the AC unit that's 9'4" off the ground, that point is 14 feet from the front of the vehicle, at that point my vertical clearance in the garage is 9'7" due to the slope of the floor. Bottom line: I am trying to take advantage of the slope of the garage floor (which would also determine whether I back in or go in forward.

Someone might ask, why bother with all of this computation nonsense. Just store it outside. Fact is I cannot. Why? Because every single RV storage place within 25 miles of my house is full with a lengthy waiting list. And I cannot store it in my driveway outside because of strict HOA rules. I am not going to go into any debates about those rules. Suffice it to say, I have to live with it. Moreover, would you rather keep your RV in your garage if you can or spend about $12,000 over the course of 10 years to store it outside in the Arizona harsh sunshine?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Just go to Winnebago's website and download the Travato brochure.

https://winnebagoind.com/binaries/co...-digital.x.pdf

The 59K height is listed in the brochure as 9'-4".

- - Mike
Thanks, but that does not tell me what I need to know. I already have the brochure. So what's 9'4" tall? The TV antenna, the AC housing or what? That's what I need to know.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Go look at a real Travato 59K and see if A/C unit is tallest item on the roof. I suspect it is. WGO brochure says 9'-4" height is from tallest item on roof.

- - Mike
Old 10-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
FWIW, the height under the opener and it's track need to be considered.
There are side lift mechanisms that can replace the normal overhead units if needed.
Thanks I am aware of that. In fact, there will be no ceiling hardware at all.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The big question when you go to make a door opening higher is where the header is, how much room there is, and how big does the header have to be. Many headers are below the top plate, so you can't get near the actual ceiling height on them. That was how ours was so the highest we could go was 9' 3" with our 10' ceiling. The hard part often gets with some of the codes that call out full size for load bearing header sizes even on gable ends built under trusses, which technically don't really even need any vertical support of the roof or floor above. Our rules were that way, but I was able to get legal by doing a smaller height header by using 3 LVL header material pieces with plywood in between, even though they don't really hold up anything. I had to use a low headroom door hardware setup and the opener track is screwed right to the ceiling.
Thanks for your response. Great points. For sure there would be some design challenges that would take some novel solutions. I am aware of the header issue. One thing in my favor is that there is nothing above the garage. So, some kind of gable or roof bump out migh tbe possible. I have a couple of contactor visits lined up to discuss. ANd they might in fact tell me to forget about this idea ... it ain't gonna work. If so, end of story.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Go look at a real Travato 59K and see if A/C unit is tallest item on the roof. I suspect it is. WGO brochure says 9'-4" height is from tallest item on roof.

- - Mike
I did. Visited the 59G and 59K at a two day show. Was able to get accurate lateral dimensions but not vertical.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 AM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_F View Post

Since your shortest height (9'3"=102") is at the far end of the garage,
and the front of the RV is sloping down, your front end clearance is safe.

What you need to measure is 1/3 way from the garage wall.
That's where the RV's roof comes to meet your garage ceiling.

The antenna is not so easy to remove. There are 2 holes underneath the pad; one for the post and another for the cables.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #17
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

- - Mike

The A/C is the tallest item on the roof.

The 2016 spec is 9'1"
The 2017 spec is 9'4"

The only thing changed is the Mark 10 A/C, which is taller than the Mark 8 it replaced.

The 59K A/C is near the middle of the RV.
ie you need to measure the ceiling height at the middle of the garage.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
Bronze Member

James, We have a 2017 Travato K. It appears the TV antenna might be the tallest thing on the roof but I cannot climb up to measure for you. We have the Coleman Mach 8 AC and the 2018 has the Mach 10 which is taller.

My suggestion is for you to join the Facebook Travato Owners and Wannabees Group. There are a wonderful group of very knowledgeable members there that are very helpful.

We couldn't be happier with our TK which is not our 1st motorhome but is our favorite. The refrigerator is a compressor type and holds more than you think. It is very deep.

Hope to see you on the Travato Group site.

Gail
Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 PM   #19

Default Thank You Everyone

Thank you everyone for participating in this discussion.