Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What are best upgrades you made and what do think is useful?

Here's some upgrades I made for safety... and convenience....

1. Solar panels system with controller on roof....
2. Echomaster back up sensors with alarm
3. HD cameras integrated into the sound system navigation screen for front and rear.. automatically switches to the rear on reverse.
4. Kenwood 893 S fully integrated navigation system with Android Auto and hands free phone pairing... Sirius XM radio .....
5. KONI FSD shocks
6. Roadmaster anti sway bar
7. Super Steer track bar for rear stability in high winds situation
8. Truck System Technologies .... tire pressure monitoring system.....

Yes, all of this was kinda expensive... but, it does help me to control the rig easier....

What sort of things did you do??

Doesn't really matter how old your rig is...you can certainly have modern technology....

It's a personal preference .... but I do feel safer with these features....

Unfortunately... even on the Roadtrek RS Adventurous and Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500...the original shocks and suspension did NOT provide the confidence I was looking for....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Here are the best two on my Zion SRT:

1) Drone Mobile: Monitor temperature and voltage and start the van from anywhere by cell phone.

2) Xantrex Echo Charge. Keeps the starter battery charged via solar panels/AGM battery

Buford Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
Bronze Member

On my 2019G Travato, I’ve upgraded to the Sumo bumpstops front and rear. Helped with body roll and dive. Much better than the factory ones. Recently returned from a NM and Colorado trip to east coast. The T drove amazingly well in the high mountains as well as the pancake flat interstate at 80 mph. Looking forward to other upgrades as well.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I will go down the other extreme with inexpensive upgrades.

1. Changed Plug to SmartPlug ~$200 bucks. Much easier than the twist.

2. Made a hold-down for the macerator using (2) 1/4" rare earth magnets and a small piece of metal flat bar to hold in the button. Easier to do with 1 person. Cost ~$15

3. Installing this weekend. I purchased a different TV mount ($25) that will allow me to store the 26" TV in portrait mode. Will keep the 2-3" from hanging into the hallway.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
I will go down the other extreme with inexpensive upgrades.

1. Changed Plug to SmartPlug ~$200 bucks. Much easier than the twist.

2. Made a hold-down for the macerator using (2) 1/4" rare earth magnets and a small piece of metal flat bar to hold in the button. Easier to do with 1 person. Cost ~$15

3. Installing this weekend. I purchased a different TV mount ($25) that will allow me to store the 26" TV in portrait mode. Will keep the 2-3" from hanging into the hallway.
Pictures ??? Enquiring minds want to know..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default What are best upgrades you made and what do think is useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
Pictures ??? Enquiring minds want to know..

I will have to take a picture of the magnet/macerator hold down. The smart plug is awesome in my opinion. So much easier. Will post the tv mount once installed. Comes in mail today.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Macerator Hold-Down pic. Think I “stole” this idea from folks here.

IMG_3939.jpgIMG_3940.jpg

Piece of steel, 2-magnets and a piece of felt.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 09-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Silver Member

I installed a wireless macerator switch for that, easier to switch on/ off the macerator without walking back to the van.

Made tons of upgrades/ mods to my RT, and like most of them. Not actually an upgrade, but I just fab an electric riding cooler with custom swing-away hitch carrier...having a blast at the beach and campgrounds, feels like a kid again, lol.
RT.SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT.SS View Post
I installed a wireless macerator switch for that, easier to switch on/ off the macerator without walking back to the van.

Made tons of upgrades/ mods to my RT, and like most of them. Not actually an upgrade, but I just fab an electric riding cooler with custom swing-away hitch carrier...having a blast at the beach and campgrounds, feels like a kid again, lol.
Nice.....I am certain I am not as talented as you. Describe this wireless switch...was it hard to do?

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 09-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Love our articulating "Omni Mount" for our TV in the Sprinter. Able to sit outside and watch it through the open door or bring it out into the aisle for nighttime viewing. The sound was not loud enough from our bed, so I remoted a pair of speakers closer to the 67 year old ears! I modified the TV by installing a small DPDT switch in the speaker line with the selection being internal speakers (which we use outside the door) or the remote speakers by the bedside. Switch is installed directly in the TV frame. I did it this way so I could control the volume from the TV remote without a separate amp or additional remote. Of course you void any TV warranties.

Secure it to the wall with an adjustable rubber mount for travel.

Used "rivi nuts" in a wall support frame member to hold the mount 1/4-20 I think.

DSCN0055.jpg

DSCN0054.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0057.jpg
Hatteras Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Nice.....I am certain I am not as talented as you. Describe this wireless switch...was it hard to do?

It is not that hard to do, a 12-volt wireless remote is widely available. The relay output is wired in parallel with the existing/factory macerator switch. I have if documented here: Roadtrek Modifications/ Mods, Upgrades, and Gadgets.: Adding a Wireless Remote Control to the Macerator

The wireless remote "main power switch" installation could be a little more involved depending on switch location installation.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We did a similar magnet and piece of steel switch holder many years ago, and it works well if you have two people dumping like we do, or good fit to dump station adapter for the small hose so you can walk away from it. We just hold the small hose over the pipe now.

With one person, the remote would be a nice feature. I think Marko did one some time ago, also. I do think I would have a manual switch in front of it, though, unless it uses code technology, so that it can't be turned on by stray signals from similar remotes. I have seen that happen with some of them controlling other items like remote lights.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
With one person, the remote would be a nice feature. I think Marko did one some time ago, also. I do think I would have a manual switch in front of it, though, unless it uses code technology, so that it can't be turned on by stray signals from similar remotes. I have seen that happen with some of them controlling other items like remote lights.
Mine is regular RF remote switch, no code hopping tech. I installed a main power switch for the remote to prevent phantom load, I only power in on during dumping. I have extra remote in the bathroom; I can easily dump the grey tank (when hooked-up) when tank is getting full while showering.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Booster has a good memory - that was well over a decade ago!

When I added the wireless remote switch for a permanent macerator installation in a Roadtrek I also added a manual switch to turn the receiver on and off. That provided a safeguard against someone else with the same frequency or type of remote triggering my macerator! The main reason for the manual switch was to turn off the wireless remote receiver when not needed because it constantly draws a bit of power when on.

I recently added wireless remote to control some LED floodlights at the rear of the RV. They can be used as reversing lights if needed or as flood lights for other purposes. I used a relay triggered by the parking lights to power the wireless remote receiver. The wireless remote receiver is off unless the parking lights are on. I did not use the reversing lights as a trigger because I wanted to use the rear flood lights without the transmission being in reverse and the lights can be controlled when I'm outside of the RV.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I recently added wireless remote to control some LED floodlights at the rear of the RV. They can be used as reversing lights if needed or as flood lights for other purposes. I used a relay triggered by the parking lights to power the wireless remote receiver. The wireless remote receiver is off unless the parking lights are on. I did not use the reversing lights as a trigger because I wanted to use the rear flood lights without the transmission being in reverse and the lights can be controlled when I'm outside of the RV.
I love to see a picture of the flood lights, where did you mount them? You can use a double trigger (while reversing and with use of remote). I made a hitch step with LED flood light and door key storage for my Agile, the light is only triggered when reversing though.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I chose these flood lights https://www.amazon.com/Light-JAHURD-.../dp/B06XW4P7N2

They were put on a Class A so different mounting options than a B van. The main reason was was to have lots of light when hooking up or unhooking the car at night if ever needed. I mentioned them to give an idea of the usefulness of wireless remotes. On my B, I'd mount them on the backside (vertical) of the fiberglass roof angled downward. Bumper mount would be the other option.

They're not a name brand but the reviews seemed good. The pair was only CDN$13.99 on Amazon.ca when I bought them a few weeks ago but has since gone up. I liked the small size. The 18W rating seems to be the power consumption per pair. I measured it to be a bit less than that.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
Platinum Member

When we had trouble getting into a dark, dark, narrow site in the rain at night we knew we needed to upgrade the lighting, too. High output reverse lights helped straight out the back, but to hit the site driveway, I like to be able to see the rear wheels in the side mirrors, and they got no light. I finally got a set of LED spot/flood lights that mounted on magnetic bases, so if you find the really ugly conditions and narrow site like we had that night, we just open the front door windows and stick the lights on the side of the door and plug them into accessory outlets. They light the sides very well so you can see things like washouts at the ditch or close in trees, rocks, picnic tables, etc in the side mirrors.

They are also useful if we want a lot of light in site or elsewhere as the cords are pretty long and we can stick them anywhere on the van body.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #18
Mfm
Bronze Member

Macerator----I accidentally added a lot of powdered TSP to the tank to help clean it....now the macerator grinds , but still pumps....anyone know if I wrecked it or if there is a way to fix it???? Dumb move on my part.
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #19
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfm View Post
Macerator----I accidentally added a lot of powdered TSP to the tank to help clean it....now the macerator grinds , but still pumps....anyone know if I wrecked it or if there is a way to fix it???? Dumb move on my part.
TSP is highly soluble in water. I don’t think you damaged the macerator, just give it time and the granules should dissolve in water, add more water to the black tank then probably shortly run the macerator to dump from time to time to flush it out.

On topic, I thought of sharing my new addition to my rig. A DIY electric riding cooler with custom swing-away hitch carrier, I called it, “Scooler” . I use it for hauling my heavy roto-molded cooler or just fun riding around the campground. It is also great for hauling heavy stuff, like firewood, and etc.

More pictures here: Clicky.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #20
Bronze Member

To our 2008 RS I have added the following major items:
1. Komi adjustable shocks on rear
2. Spring assist kit on rear
3. Coil over springs on front struts
4. Two gallon pressure tank to water system
5. PPI hard wired surge protector
6. Nova Kool compressor refrigerator
7. Removed DVD player and replaced with BluRay player connected to TV only side other speakers never seemed to work right

Gary
2008 RS
Minnesota
Gary Mn is offline   Reply With Quote