Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What do you wish you DIDN'T have?

Like many people, I bought a "standard" RV, meaning it wasn't custom built for me. Not knowing what I would want or not want, I picked a fairly generic build. I could have upgraded to a second solar panel and an induction cooktop, but didn't feel the need.

Now that I've spent some time in the van, it's clear I will never use the TV, DVD player, satellite input, and antenna. Will probably never swivel the passenger seat (driver's seat didn't come with swivel - and we wouldn't have used it). Will probably never use the black tank flush (nothing solid goes in there).

The AC could have been smaller - it starts at gale-force and goes up from there...so that could have been downsized.

I'm reserving judgment on whether we will use the awning (haven't used it so far), the outside water sprayer, and the outside AC outlet (not the one for shore power).

Don't misunderstand - I'm not unhappy with these things, it's just that I don't need them and the manufacturer could have saved some money if they had been options. It also would have meant five fewer holes in the outside skin of the van.

So what do you have on your rig that you could live without?
Old 09-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I am one of the DIY crowd, so, a little outside of your question's scope. Big difference is that my finger can point at me only. We like a lot about our conversion but microwave was a mistake not only from the perspective of microwave itself but required infrastructure to be able to run it off the grid. Since 2013 we did not use it once, should have listen to our past experience of having them but never used them.

Regarding your list we like a lot: both front seats swivel, awning, LED projection TV.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Now that I've spent some time in the van, it's clear I will never use the TV, DVD player, satellite input, and antenna. Will probably never swivel the passenger seat (driver's seat didn't come with swivel - and we wouldn't have used it). Will probably never use the black tank flush (nothing solid goes in there).

The AC could have been smaller - it starts at gale-force and goes up from there...so that could have been downsized.

I'm reserving judgment on whether we will use the awning (haven't used it so far), the outside water sprayer, and the outside AC outlet (not the one for shore power).

Don't misunderstand - I'm not unhappy with these things, it's just that I don't need them and the manufacturer could have saved some money if they had been options. It also would have meant five fewer holes in the outside skin of the van.
I think the main issue is that switching to a-la-cart RVs would make the manufacture process MORE expensive because it would slow things down while the factory line is going through this, but not this, that, but not that. So even though it feels to us like it should cost less money, it actually makes it more expensive for the converter. So, they choose to include the things that the majority of buyers want.

Like you, I never use the TV system and pulled it out of mine, but it can quickly be reinstalled for the next purchaser. I have never once used the awning in any of my 3 rigs. I also don't even use my black tank in my current rig. I have also never used that outside shower or electrical plug

Odd detail... while we all complain about the noise our AC makes, every other complaint that I read on boards is that they are too small and don't cool the van enough. There is just no pleasing us.

Speaking of extra holes in the side of the rig. I chose the option of NOT getting a 3 system fridge, but a compressor fridge mainly because of not having to worry about leveling, but also to not have those vent holes cut in the side. But, guess what? I got the compressor fridge AND the two unnecessary vent holes cut in the side. Sometimes you just can't win. Different spots on the factory line, I guess.

But all of the things that you mentioned (that we don't use) could interfere with your finding a purchaser for your rig in the future because they want it.

For instance, I ordered my first rig without a generator, but with a gen set in case the next purchaser wanted one. Sure enough, that was the BIG issue for the next buyer. He immediately installed one. I ordered my second rig without an awning. And the next purchaser? That was his big complaint and he had one installed first thing.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Like many people, I bought a "standard" RV, meaning it wasn't custom built for me. Not knowing what I would want or not want, I picked a fairly generic build. I could have upgraded to a second solar panel and an induction cooktop, but didn't feel the need.

You could have bought a cargo van, put a cot in it... and saved a bundle.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I am one of the DIY crowd, so, a little outside of your question's scope. Big difference is that my finger can point at me only. We like a lot about our conversion but microwave was a mistake not only from the perspective of microwave itself but required infrastructure to be able to run it off the grid. Since 2013 we did not use it once, should have listen to our past experience of having them but never used them.

99% of the people use it for bread storage (even at home).

Old 09-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:

I've had a number of RV's that had too much stuff. Way too much maintenance.

So I had Sportsmobile build me a KISS van.

I wanted to be comfortable with low maintenance. Lots of travel, eating out, eating leftovers, etc.

So we have,

No propane.
No generator.
No extra under hood generator.
No outside plugs or lights.
No outside shower.
No awning.
No solar.
No sound system.

I you want to see what we do have check out
My new Promaster 3500, High Roof, Long body, Sportsmobile. - Sportsmobile Forum
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Not us, I would bet 99% of our cooking is either in the microwave or on the gas grille. Inside cooktop or gas campstove are basically never used, and we rarely eat out.

We used to think the awning was unnecessary, but some recent stays in very sunny places had us getting used to using it, and liking it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Our microwave is the only way we can heat food. Works for us.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt View Post
Our microwave is the only way we can heat food. Works for us.
How do you power your microwave - batteries, generator or shore?
Old 09-23-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
How do you power your microwave - batteries, generator or shore?
AGM batteries and 2000 watt inverter, or shore if it's there. No generator
Old 09-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHitt View Post
AGM batteries and 2000 watt inverter, or shore if it's there. No generator
Same for us, no problems at all doing it that way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

Then there is the TV stuck on the side of the B.

Me, if I were a tailgater person, I would want to put the TV where I wanted it - Not where the.............

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
Platinum Member

You will probably be glad you have some of these things when you try to sell the RV and the potential buyer has different needs.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
You will probably be glad you have some of these things when you try to sell the RV and the potential buyer has different needs.
The trouble with having stuff you don't need is that it still needs maintaining.

The right answer is to have what you need and no more. It may limit your market or it could improve your market because you can offer yours at a lower price. You paid less for it and it cost you less to own it. One size fits all or configure for your needs. That is the question.
1980 ? Pickup Camper
Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Good point, especially valid for folks designing their own. During the time of sale having large population interested in buying helps a lot.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I thought I wanted a generator. It was one thing I didn't like about mine (it's a 2005), I thought everything was in good working order but it didn't have a generator. Turned out lots of things needed to be fixed and I spent the money fixing things I thought I'd use for a generator.

I've used it a few times and now I'm not sure I want a generator. I did replace my TV and the speakers but honestly we've watched a few movies but nothing else. I've replaced the stereo and we don't listen to it, but I might if it was just me.

We're the Russos on YouTube talked about they could do without the bathroom sink, the shower, the toilet, the bed could be smaller, they had Hymer leave out the microwave. I forgot what else, I thought maybe they should just buy a van and make their own.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
We're the Russos on YouTube talked about they could do without the bathroom sink, the shower, the toilet, the bed could be smaller, they had Hymer leave out the microwave. I forgot what else, I thought maybe they should just buy a van and make their own.
As I understand it, this couple have been "provided" with this van for a specific period of time and are doing PR for Hymer. Nothing wrong with this and I don't know all the specifics, so other than removing the microwave that they wouldn't use, they didn't change anything. They are a personable young couple who are enjoying living and working full-time in the van. It will be interesting to see what they do when their contract ends with Hymer and what sort of rig they choose. They did downsize from a Class A.

It is similar to FitRV and the Travato that they bought and made bunches of changes to... don't know if Winnie has borrowed any of their ideas or not.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
Platinum Member

We use our microwave on a daily basis. Our lithium system was built to run the computer system first, everything else second. What happened so far is that we use the microwave more than anything else.

The number one thing that I wish I DIDN'T have on this build is poor build quality overall. Our latest task involves pulling the black system apart to fix one or more issues that we may not yet fully understand. As this work is underway, we are once again shocked at the poor quality of both the design and the resulting components (Air Forums thread here; we are currently waiting on delivery of a camera scope from Amazon so that we can examine the inside of the plumbing without tearing down the wet bath).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I'm of the mind that it's nice to have things, even if you only use them once in a great while. In my toolbox, I don't use everything in there all the time, but that one time you need a certain tool, you sure are glad you have it.

I'm really enjoying the old van I bought and upgrading it. Some aspects of it you just can't find in a new van, and you certainly can't match the low price. Is it perfect for all uses? Certainly not. Does it hit most of my wish list? Absolutely.

All that said, do I regret not having a generator? Not in the least. Don't need it and don't miss it. It's easy enough to find a plug-in if I need air conditioner or need to charge beyond what the solar or engine alternator will do. The benefits of not carrying around a rattly, noisy, fuel guzzling generator vastly outweigh the infrequent convenience of having it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 AM   #20
Silver Member

On my T1N Airstream Interstate I will never use the modular telephone jack, definately something i can do without. The PO replaced the microwave with a toaster oven which we rarely used. After four years of carting it around I took it out and put in a couple of canvas bins.
It is interesting to me to read these forums and observe each others haves, wants and needs. Some of us have sat/nav TV and others take the TV or TVS out. Some of us have one battery others elaborate hi tech systems, some have solar, others not. The beauty is that each owner can make their van into whatever works best for them. I didn't think I needed a generator or awning but they are both nice to have the few times a year that I may use them. My year did not come with a sink in the wet bath and it is not missed.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote