Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What is the length of the B?

When the length of a rv is listed, is that from bumper to bumper?

Or just the box?

Thanks
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

For B's, it is the length of the van, bumper to bumper. Ours is 22 ft.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

They generally range from 19 to 24 feet.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Silver Member

A measuring tape is the ONLY way the length of an RV can be determined.

My 2016 Roadtrek 190P (you're already thinking 19 feet, right?) is 21 feet 6 inches from the front bumper to the end of the spare carrier.

My first 30 foot Winnie was 32 feet. My second 34 foot Winnie was about 35 feet and change.

SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Specs for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWolf View Post

My 2016 Roadtrek 190P (you're already thinking 19 feet, right?) is 21 feet 6 inches from the front bumper to the end of the spare carrier.

My first 30 foot Winnie was 32 feet. My second 34 foot Winnie was about 35 feet and change.

Okay.... there are written specifications....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:

You are so right! Never, ever rely on model designations. You should be able to get the exact overall exterior length in the manufacturer specs. Even then, the actual length of a particular unit may vary from the specs for a number of reasons. If for some reason- storage, for example- the exact size is important, you have to measure.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Okay.... there are written specifications....
Yeppers! Roadtrek specifications says my 16P190 is 20 feet 5 inches. Roadtrek only missed it by a foot and an inch. It is 21 feet 6 inches as carefully measured.

I have to fit it into a couple of vacations spots that aren't friendly to long vehicles.

Steve
Old 01-05-2020, 02:37 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Mercedes Benz Sprinter has accurate to scale 2D and 3D drawings available that give dimensions and location of dimensions. I’ve been working with them and they are accurate.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:39 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Mercedes Benz Sprinter has accurate to scale 2D and 3D drawings available that give dimensions and location of dimensions. I’ve been working with them and they are accurate.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:46 AM   #10
Site Team

I'm pretty sure that the chassis dimensions are extremely accurate if taken from OEM literature (although transcription errors on third-party websites are not uncommon). If the upfitter did anything that changed the length, that would be another matter.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:36 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter 144" WB

I use MB drawings for my conversion of 144" WB and never had dimensional problems. I used a Leica Disto for most of my measurements and they matched factory drawings if compared.

My bumper to bumper length is 19' 5-3/8".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layout final daytime lenght.JPG (69.9 KB, 21 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Are you saying you have drawings of the chassis or the chassis with each version of motorhome attached to that chassis? Pretty cool if you have a 3D of a particular make, manufacturer and model! Even better if the electrical and plumbing were written in!
Old 01-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are you saying you have drawings of the chassis or the chassis with each version of motorhome attached to that chassis? Pretty cool if you have a 3D of a particular make, manufacturer and model! Even better if the electrical and plumbing were written in!
No. I am saying MB has 2D and 3D drawings. I have their 2D drawings and have made my own 3D drawings confirmed by their 2D front, side and plan views with the additional measurements of my own van and other vans. Certified Upfitters have access to the Solidworks 3D drawings which I don't have. I have been only concerned with the MB Sprinter 2500 144" WB and only need inside dimensions at that. I don't have to build - just design. Advanced RV will have to build and do their own drawings as necessary.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:51 PM   #14
Platinum Member

My bumper-to-bumper is 17’9”, per factory specs. When ferries measure us with their wheel, we always fit in the <18’ category.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
When ferries measure us with their wheel, we always fit in the <18’ category.
And then, Ms Nomer, there's the Alaskan Ferry which measured our 21' ProMaster (19' 6" plus bike rack) as 22' declaring, "You made a reservation for 21', we're full this evening, we're not sure we can take you on-board!"
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Platinum Member

A more important consideration for us was the average length of a typical single parking spot. I have found that this dimension is usually around 18-20 ft. I have seen some DOT recommendations for 18 ft as a standard but it varies from place to place.

Depending on how you use your Class B RV, this can create day to day problems for an RV that is longer than this. For us, we wanted an RV that we could easily use at restaurants, hotels, cities, tourist parking lots, etc.. This meant keeping our van as short as possible.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
A more important consideration for us was the average length of a typical single parking spot. I have found that this dimension is usually around 18-20 ft. I have seen some DOT recommendations for 18 ft as a standard but it varies from place to place.

We started with the 144” WB, less than 20’ total length Sprinter also for mobility on forestry roads, campgrounds with uneven campsites, parking etc.

Then we added a Stowaway hitch box extending van's length by almost 3’ and we didn’t like it, now we are back to the original length and have a ladder to carry the BBQ and the camping chairs. It was a great change back to under 20’ with the ladder camper van. Life is full of tradeoffs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post

Depending on how you use your Class B RV, this can create day to day problems for an RV that is longer than this. For us, we wanted an RV that we could easily use at restaurants, hotels, cities, tourist parking lots, etc.. This meant keeping our van as short as possible.
If you say the DOT recommendation is 18 ft. I think that is a minimum, not a recommendation, and probably designated for compact car parking. Almost all the Interstate rest stops are at least 24 ft. angle parking. Anyway, individual municipalities set their own standards. Private properties set their own standards. It varies with site restrictions. In a pay surface lot if your van is over 20 ft. you might not get in regardless and if they do permit you, you might have to pay for two stalls if they have back to back stalls.

I had been involved with over a thousand Target parking lots in charge of prototype development and new store construction. I personally laid out a few and other retail so have an intimate knowledge of restrictions. Target's standards were 20 ft. back to back 90 deg. stalls with 24 ft. driving aisles. The width minimum was 9 ft. Consequently, the turning radius of a 170" WB Sprinter would not let you drive down and aisle and park between cars on both sides as you can't drive straight in to a stall. Walmart was similar. Anything less than that were labeled compact stalls with a warning sign.

Most public parallel street parking is 24 ft. because you need space to parallel park and not accommodate that length. End stalls on a block can be accessed sometimes. You might score a middle stall but could then be locked in with subsequent parkers, who of course will be P.O'd at you.

Probably the largest van, an extended body 170" WB Sprinters at 24'-1" can be backed in to a curb and overhang an available grass strip and stay within the 20 ft. stall. Those stalls are usually on the edge of parking lots.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
And then, Ms Nomer, there's the Alaskan Ferry which measured our 21' ProMaster (19' 6" plus bike rack) as 22' declaring, "You made a reservation for 21', we're full this evening, we're not sure we can take you on-board!"
Been through that one! When we first brought our Era home the guys at the ferry didn’t believe it was 24. They got 24 on the nose. A couple of weeks ago my wife booked our Feb ticket so we can head south and forgot the bike rack will be on. After 2 sleepless nights worrying I stopped at the ferry office and added the 3 feet (and $30) to the reservation. Getting to the boat at 6:30 in the morning all packed and not getting on the boat would not have been good!
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Hi, how i can get a complete length list?
please suggest me and its my request to you all as necessary for me.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote