Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #1
Silver Member

Question What options? Ford build to order 2019 Transit

What options? Ford build to order 2019 Transit

Hi all

Hoping to get a new 2019 Transit 350 EXT cargo van (22’) with 3.5 EcoBoost engine, and will (likely) have Sportsmobile Fresno do the “build in”.

We need seating and sleeping for 3 people. Sportsmobile Fresno will install the crash tested captains chair behind driver.

I’ll check with Sportsmobile Fresno, of course, but so I can get a accurate price on the van …. can people post what they think are good options to get on the van? We’ll order it from Ford - build to order.

The buying guide for 2019 is here:

Transit Customers Pay Less at Matt Ford

and also more info here
http://www.mattford.com/public/image...rder-guide.pdf

OK I’ll start with what we aim to get, plus some options.

High Roof
Reverse Sensing System
Trailer Tow
2 additional key option
10 Way Power Heated Seats
Lane Keep Alert with Driver Alert (41C)
Cruise Control (60C)

no extra windows (will be added)

MAYBE:
Rear Air in Van Option (engine has to be running, i know)

DO I NEED THESE?
High Capacity Upfitter Switches (on front console)
Overhead Storage
QUESTIONS
Do we get black cloth (21R) or black leather (21S) seats?

For Axles - 3.31 is Standard.

should get get 3.31 (standard) or any of the optional:
3.31 Limited Slip
3.73 Limited Slip

Do I stick with the standard 16” steel wheels? I dont care much about looks)

Do we get Power Long Ar, Heated/ Signal Exterior Mirrors (544) ?
No, we do not plan on towing hardly ever.

thanks

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have the 350HD XLT with dual rear wheels, 3.7L engine and non-LSD. Your best source of information will be FordTransitUSAForum.com but I can at least provide my opinion.

The Transit comes as a "Cargo Van" or "Passenger Wagon." The Wagon, AFIAK, comes with windows and a rear sway bar. You will want the sway bar, for sure. If you don't want the windows, you could add the sway bar later.

The XLT version has better cab insulation so it would be quieter.

I personally prefer cloth seats for their breath-ability. I have leather in my MB and had to put ugly sheepskin covers on them because they were so hot. The cloth seats in our F350 truck have lasted over 200,000 miles, but the foam in the driver's side is shot.

If you get the power seats, you may not be able to install a swivel mechanism - you should check that out if you are thinking you might want to turn the front seats around.

Dual AGMs under the front seat (although you could add a second one later, but I doubt if you would save anything). Get the larger alternator.

You can order the "RV Prep Pkg" which deletes anything past the front seats, but I think it would delete the rear passenger airbags and I'm not sure what you will want to do if you are installing the third seat.

We have dual rear wheels and i am happy with them. I think if you intend to convert to 4X4 instead, Quigley will only do it if the van is delivered new to them from Ford. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The "simulators" have problems and several of the Paseo folks are upgrading to aluminum wheels or spray painting the steel and getting rid of the simulators entirely. If you opt for aluminum duallies (the interior wheel is still steel), you will need extended metal valve stems to get to the interior wheel.

The TPMS is NOT available on the 350HD because the GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. I understand from folks in the forum that the control module isn't even installed so if you want that, you will have to go aftermarket. Whe I look at the order sheet you referenced, it appears that it is not available for dual wheels, but MAY be available for the single wheel version, but you should check on that depending on which model you choose.

If you can get the heavier rear axle, it will increase the amount you can carry, but I don't think it will increase the GCWR.

I like Ford's Sync3 - we have an aftermarket Kenwood and I'm not crazy about it.

I hope this is helpful. It's just my opinion and I hope you will hear from others, but I think it's mostly Sprinters, Promasters and older Chevys and Fords here. Good luck with your build and keep us posted on the progress!
Old 06-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I just re-read your post so I've got a couple more things to add.

The van is long and you will used your side mirrors a lot. Having them heated keeps the moisture off and improves visibility so you will be glad you have that option, IMO.

The benefit of the towing package is that you get something called a Tow/Haul switch, which uses the power of the engine for braking on long, steep declines. We use that A LOT even though we never tow.

Our van, fully loaded weighs in at about 9,000 lbs.

Sometimes, it's better to get a package. For example, the XLT package comes with cruise control (IIRC) as well as additional insulation and carpeting in the front.

Do they offer bigger wheels? The wheel wells are disappointingly small so I don't think you can go much bigger with the tires.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
but I can at least provide my opinion.
Nice post...I'm not getting a Transit, but learned a lot.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Silver Member

Hey Phoebe3 - holy cow thanks so much for all the very very good info in the 2 posts.

I am glad i have time to research before we order custom from Ford... as there are so many variables.

I'll research all the points you mention below....

- if you happen to know -

wouldn't an extra battery under the passenger seat mean that it could not swivel?

and how expensive would the sway bar be to add? later.

if we went QuadVan 4x4 conversion ...eventually .... they may add something similar. $13,900 currently tho.

Yes you are right - Quigley only does new now, as they have so much volume of work. QuadVan will do new or used.

thanks

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I have the 350HD XLT with dual rear wheels, 3.7L engine and non-LSD. Your best source of information will be FordTransitUSAForum.com but I can at least provide my opinion.

The Transit comes as a "Cargo Van" or "Passenger Wagon." The Wagon, AFIAK, comes with windows and a rear sway bar. You will want the sway bar, for sure. If you don't want the windows, you could add the sway bar later.

The XLT version has better cab insulation so it would be quieter.

I personally prefer cloth seats for their breath-ability. I have leather in my MB and had to put ugly sheepskin covers on them because they were so hot. The cloth seats in our F350 truck have lasted over 200,000 miles, but the foam in the driver's side is shot.

If you get the power seats, you may not be able to install a swivel mechanism - you should check that out if you are thinking you might want to turn the front seats around.

Dual AGMs under the front seat (although you could add a second one later, but I doubt if you would save anything). Get the larger alternator.

You can order the "RV Prep Pkg" which deletes anything past the front seats, but I think it would delete the rear passenger airbags and I'm not sure what you will want to do if you are installing the third seat.

We have dual rear wheels and i am happy with them. I think if you intend to convert to 4X4 instead, Quigley will only do it if the van is delivered new to them from Ford. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The "simulators" have problems and several of the Paseo folks are upgrading to aluminum wheels or spray painting the steel and getting rid of the simulators entirely. If you opt for aluminum duallies (the interior wheel is still steel), you will need extended metal valve stems to get to the interior wheel.

The TPMS is NOT available on the 350HD because the GVWR is over 10,000 lbs. I understand from folks in the forum that the control module isn't even installed so if you want that, you will have to go aftermarket. Whe I look at the order sheet you referenced, it appears that it is not available for dual wheels, but MAY be available for the single wheel version, but you should check on that depending on which model you choose.

If you can get the heavier rear axle, it will increase the amount you can carry, but I don't think it will increase the GCWR.

I like Ford's Sync3 - we have an aftermarket Kenwood and I'm not crazy about it.

I hope this is helpful. It's just my opinion and I hope you will hear from others, but I think it's mostly Sprinters, Promasters and older Chevys and Fords here. Good luck with your build and keep us posted on the progress!
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The van batteries under the front seat are actually under the floor under the front seat. There is room for two already. Because the van has some electronics that are always active and upfitters often make the radio work whether the van key is on or off (so you can have sound in the "house" part), it just seems prudent to get the second battery. They're pretty small, physically, and don't cost much. If you get it on the base vehicle, both batteries will be the same make and age.

Jumper nodes are in the engine compartment - you don't have to get to the batteries to jump.

If you are getting a 2019 chassis and you want the driver's seat to swivel, get the drop-down parking brake. The parking brake on earlier models can be modified, but that's an aftermarket thing.

Because we got the Passenger Wagon (called the Passenger Van in 2019), we automatically got the sway bar so I can't speculate on price. And it's also possible they now come standard, anyway. Our chassis is from 2017.

Looking at your order sheet, it appears that the RV Prep package is only available on the Passenger Wagon XLT. You should talk to SportsMobile about whether they recommend getting the prep package. The XLT comes with cruise control and insulation (perhaps more important than you might think) and the RV prep package requires dual batteries and heavy-duty alternator (the alternator will probably be set up to charge your house batteries while the engine is running, so you need the big one).

IMHO, the biggest up-front decision you have to make is whether you want single or dual rear wheels. The single wheels appear to max the GVWR at 9,500 lbs, while the duals go to 10,360 lbs. As I said earlier, our van weighs approximately 9,000 with two people, full fuel, full fresh water and our gear. That's putting it pretty close to the max if you have single rear wheels. However, your configuration might call for less weight so the dual wheels might not be required. Of course, you would want singles for 4WD, if I understand that correctly.

Also note that although the tow package and hitch say they will take 5,000 lbs, you are limited to the GCWR. I didn't look that up for the single wheels, but it's a question you might want to research. Our GCWR is 11,200 lbs.