Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2021, 01:12 AM   #1

Default What should I expect to pay, new Thor 18M

I'm looking at a 2022 Thor Scope/Rize 18m. I currently drive and sleep in an E350 ford passenger van towing a motorcycle trailer, and I'm tired of roughing it when I go to the races/swap meet/trails etc, or trying to find a motel in the middle of nowhere. Its mostly day trips and weekend trips with occasional long rides. I also like the diminutive size.

MSRP is in the mid 80s, but I know they are discounted to this mid 70s?

They also have a 2021 which was sold and returned, presumably because the owner decided for a bigger motorhome. Its got only a few thousand miles on it. They told me that Thor & appliance warranties do not transfer to the second owner. That should give it a pretty big hit price wise I think. How much of a hit might I expect.

I hear you about Thor quality issues. At my price point, its either this or a 10-year-old Roadtrek or equivalent. Not thinking I want a small class C.
dnaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaj View Post
I'm looking at a 2022 Thor Scope/Rize 18m. I currently drive and sleep in an E350 ford passenger van towing a motorcycle trailer, and I'm tired of roughing it when I go to the races/swap meet/trails etc, or trying to find a motel in the middle of nowhere. Its mostly day trips and weekend trips with occasional long rides. I also like the diminutive size.

They also have a 2021 which was sold and returned, presumably because the owner decided for a bigger motorhome. Its got only a few thousand miles on it. They told me that Thor & appliance warranties do not transfer to the second owner. That should give it a pretty big hit price wise I think. How much of a hit might I expect.

I hear you about Thor quality issues. At my price point, its either this or a 10-year-old Roadtrek or equivalent. Not thinking I want a small class C.

The first question had to be how heavy the trailer and bike are plus whatever the motorhome added. Promasters can easily get to beyond max weight when a trailer is added, it appears. It looks like you would only have 2500# available for the trailer.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The first question had to be how heavy the trailer and bike are plus whatever the motorhome added. Promasters can easily get to beyond max weight when a trailer is added, it appears. It looks like you would only have 2500# available for the trailer.
They tell me the tow capacity is 3500lbs. My trailer GVW max is 3K, with rarely more than two or three light dirt bikes or one naked Harley. Empty the trailer is about 700lbs. So I think I am good
dnaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Thor shows 11500 for gross combined and 8550 for gross van only weights so that would indicate 2950 tops so they must be figuring with a low weight maybe empty van. Remember that sales folks will tell you you what will get you to buy, so take it all with a grain of salt. Personally, I would never tow at max combined but a lot others will do that.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The advice from converters for the 2500 and 3500 models since Promasters came out has been 2000-2500. For 2021 and up, Promaster upped the towing capacity for all of the vans by about 1000 lbs. Not sure what they changed, but Roadtrek followed their lead and added that thousand to their towing capacity advice.

This model is on the 1500 which has the highest tow capacity. (the smaller the van, the higher the tow capacity since all have the same engine/drive train etc) Thus my opinion is that 3500 is fine, but take care as to what you add to that trailer before a trip.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:30 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaj View Post

They also have a 2021 which was sold ... That should give it a pretty big hit price wise I think. How much of a hit might I expect.
Expect to pay a premium for a B class, even used. They don't lose value as much and as quickly as A and C's.

Especially with the pandemic creating extra demand and supplies shortage and inflation the 18M "discounted to the mid 70's" is wishful thinking. Expect to pay a bit over 80 plus the usual ttl. For the used one maybe 71 or 72, but allegedly it has some rust damage (haven't seen it), and no bike rack.

Bad time for buyers... I hope they send or produce more of these shorties w/bathroom so the demand levels out.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Just noticed you are in FL. Nevermind my comment on the used one, that would most likely be a different unit then. No idea what they want for it.
Let us know the outcome...
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:32 AM   #8
Silver Member

dnaj,

There are currently 258 Thor Rize/Scope 18m models on RVTrader. The lowest is $73K 2021 USED and is negotiable with LaMesa of Sacramento. Here in Florida LaMesa has a number of new units for $80,730 (apparently non-negotiable) at Sanford, Port St. Lucie, Ft Myers, etc. In fact, that $80,730 price is prevalent at non-LaMesa dealers in other parts of the country as well. I suspect the price is the price as I expect these will be scarfed up like popcorn.

As for Thor quality concerns, I must disclose that i am pretty much a Thor-hater. However, where Thor disreputable quality is diminished is in buying a true Class B where the body chassis manufacturer in fact makes the outside of the whole unit. So, at least no worrying about the rubber roof or sidewall delamination and truly most manufacturers use the same appliances. So, internal problems as in installation may not be hard to fix after warranty if you are at all handy.

As you are now essentially a poop-in-the-bucket van lifer excluding motels/hotels, it seems this may be just the thing for you!

Ray B.
2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote