Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2023, 10:51 PM   #1

Default What to buy budget max. 50k

We are looking to buy a van for our retirement travels. We looked at PW Excel but since we are both short driving it would be difficult, I could barely see over the steering wheel so that’s a no go.
We liked the RT 190 (2005) much better. I would also consider the 210 or a PW Lexor.
What other option do I have and from the ones I mentioned, which ones do you like?
I will be looking the weekend at a taken care of 2004 Lexor Td with 110k miles is there still much life left
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We had a Roadtrek 190P for years and loved it. We bought a new 2007 Roadtrek 210P and still have it and probably will for the rest of our RV days. We have had other small Cs and a couple of other Bs but for us the 210 on the Chevy chassis is absolutely perfect for our travels.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
We had a Roadtrek 190P for years and loved it. We bought a new 2007 Roadtrek 210P and still have it and probably will for the rest of our RV days. We have had other small Cs and a couple of other Bs but for us the 210 on the Chevy chassis is absolutely perfect for our travels.

We also have a Chevy Roadtrek 190 year 2007. When we looked at all brands back then, nothing fit our likes more than the 190 and that is still true today for us after having it 15+ years.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:48 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Here is a good website to find used Roadtreks:

https://roadtrekchapter.org/roadtreks-for-sale/
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:24 PM   #5
Bronze Member

We purchased a 2002 Dodge 3500 Popular 190 four years ago, pre-pandemic, and have put over 40,000 miles on it, driving coast to coast in 2021 and to midwest and Florida last year. We live in SoCal. Never even considered an RV before our son convinced us to buy this from his neighbor. It has been a real serendipity. Yes a few repairs on the way but no complaints. We now have about 86,000 miles on it. Such fun. All the best in shopping and safe travel.
Stephen
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

In that price range we found a 2006 Roadtrek 5 years ago on the diesel sprinter platform, and have been very happy with it. We might have found a class C for far less money but really like the sprinter base. And 22 mpg is awesome.

Not without issue; my various projects are on the forum...Electrical charging, battery and inverter upgrade, dometic 3-way fridge replacement and auxiliary cooling for it. It helps if you are handy and mechanically inclined (but that is true for any RV).

If you look for an older diesel, pre-2010 do not require DEF and that is one less thing to deal with.

Another interesting point. When we found the Road trek, I checked Blue Book and there was an asterisk* next to the listing that had a telling footnote: "For diesel, do not deduct for mileage."

And yes, we even flat tow a Cherokee with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0609211230a_HDR.jpg (393.8 KB, 7 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Don't know if I can be of any help or offer an idea. We had several criteria:
1. Had to fit in the driveway
2. Had to have a tow capacity for my racer
3. Meet our price point

My only point would be, add a few other criteria.

Makes the searching easier - but narrows the field - but possibly improves the selection.

Unwritten/spoken: "..good enough condition and be serviceable and upgradeable for our needs"
When we found a platform, hired a survey, got a report, then took a look.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote