Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2023, 03:59 PM   #1

Default What to look + ask for when buying used

Tomorrow we are going to look at a private party 2004 PW Lexor. The seller said all in working order. Beside test driving it what are the must things to look for and test. Neither my husband or I ever owned an Rv, this would be our first.
Thanks
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If I was buying any nearly 20 year old vehicle, I would first insist on a full inspection by the mechanic of my choice.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

In addition to what jrobe said, I would test the RV parts of the unit

Have seller turn on fridge on propane today so you can confirm that's working. Take a fridge thermometer with you.

Test all propane appliances:

light stove top
have owner start the hot water heater on propane. make sure it kicks in.
have owner start the furnace. make sure there's heat coming out
test drive
when you get back, test faucets for hot and cold water
flush toilet
test the roof AC unit

when you drive make sure you get on a highway and see how it handles at highway speed. Engage cruise control to make sure that works. Test the vehicle heat and AC at the dash.

good luck.

test
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwillingsmama View Post
Tomorrow we are going to look at a private party 2004 PW Lexor. The seller said all in working order. Beside test driving it what are the must things to look for and test. Neither my husband or I ever owned an Rv, this would be our first.
Thanks
They actually have RV technicians who will inspect the RV portion of the vehicle. They are like home/house inspectors to verify everything works as it should. You might want to hire one of them to thoroughly look/test everything before giving them your money.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I would add to the list to be sure and check the generator. Make sure it will fire right up and let it warm up for several minutes. Then put it under load with the airconditioner running full blast and you can learn a lot by listening to the generator. A volt meter to test the house voltage with the generator running is a quick preliminary test.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:12 AM   #6

Thank you for your input. It was very helpful and I guess will be helpful when we finally will purchase a vehicle. The Lexor checked out ok but we decided not to buy it after all. We didn’t know that the TD model only has the 2 front seat belts and none in the back. Although we plan to use the van 95% with just the 2 of us we would like the option to take a third or even forth person in the van.
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwillingsmama View Post
Thank you for your input. It was very helpful and I guess will be helpful when we finally will purchase a vehicle. The Lexor checked out ok but we decided not to buy it after all. We didn’t know that the TD model only has the 2 front seat belts and none in the back. Although we plan to use the van 95% with just the 2 of us we would like the option to take a third or even forth person in the van.
my 05 lexor has seat belts for the rear sofa. seat belts are easliey added.you will find out these RV vans are hard to find.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:19 PM   #8
Silver Member

One other thing to check is the date of the tires, anything over 5-6 years should be replaced.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote