Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Wheel adapters illegal in PA.

I took my 2001 Roadtrek in for inspection (in PA.) and was told I would have to take my 2" wheel adapters off since anything over 1/4" was illegal. I was angry because they make the rear axle the same width as the front and greatly improve handling especially when the big rigs blow by me on the highway and in crosswinds. I am awaiting a reply as to why this is so and if an exception can be made in situations like this. Will update when my state rep gets back to me.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

take 'em off, put 'em on after inspection

changing "engineering beyond design" can have unexpected results

is there documentation from the manufacturer you can present?

I have personal knowledge of a guy rearended in his lifted toyota 4 runner

His modifications used "off road" parts and the insurance claim denied

he was invited to resubmit a claim after having his modifications tested and certified

but still, his kit had no legal bumper- the car went under and hit his diff and lifted and flipped him over

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
take 'em off, put 'em on after inspection

changing "engineering beyond design" can have unexpected results

is there documentation from the manufacturer you can present?

I have personal knowledge of a guy rearended in his lifted toyota 4 runner

His modifications used "off road" parts and the insurance claim denied

he was invited to resubmit a claim after having his modifications tested and certified

but still, his kit had no legal bumper- the car went under and hit his diff and lifted and flipped him over

Mike

Where did he find a place to get non factory, locally not accepted, modifications tested and approved? I have looked for things like that in the past and unless the maker of the parts is will to do an OEM level test and submit it, the state won't talk to you, and often even that isn't enough for street legal.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

"invited"...which he was unable to do- it'd cost millions

Mike
Old 06-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

How hard are they to remove and reinstall? How often do you have to have the vehicle inspected?

My Roadtrek was originally sold at a dealer in PA, and it still has the original state inspection sticker. I have removed many decals in my life, including every other decal on the Roadtrek, but I couldn't make a dent in that inspection sticker. It must be really IMPORTANT...

Old 06-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Moderator's note:
Please avoid posts that advocate unlawful activity.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
Silver Member

It shouldn't be unlawful if it promotes safer handling. The rear axle is shorter because it was used on dually rear wheels. I read where Pleasure-Way used them as standard equipment on earlier models.
Pennsylvania requires a yearly inspection on all vehicles unlike other states.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
I took my 2001 Roadtrek in for inspection (in PA.) and was told I would have to take my 2" wheel adapters off since anything over 1/4" was illegal. I was angry because they make the rear axle the same width as the front and greatly improve handling especially when the big rigs blow by me on the highway and in crosswinds. I am awaiting a reply as to why this is so and if an exception can be made in situations like this. Will update when my state rep gets back to me.

I have to say I don't care for wheel spacers (agree with PA)especially that thick. I'd much rather pay the extra money and buy wheels with the proper off set to get them to sit out further.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
I have to say I don't care for wheel spacers (agree with PA)especially that thick. I'd much rather pay the extra money and buy wheels with the proper off set to get them to sit out further.

I don't know if you can get wheels with that much negative offset that will carry the weight, except for dually wheels. It would be an interesting look to see.

Of course, you would have to choose what to carry for a spare, as you wouldn't want an extra 2" outboard on one front.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't know if you can get wheels with that much negative offset that will carry the weight, except for dually wheels. It would be an interesting look to see.

Of course, you would have to choose what to carry for a spare, as you wouldn't want an extra 2" outboard on one front.
That is the drawback but an offset wheel is safer than spacers on a heavy vehicle. If the front can handle the clearance the 2 inches wouldn't hurt to limp in to get a new tire. There are alot of people that don't even carry spares now and just rely on road service. Me I'd rather do it myself than wait
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #11
otr
Gold Member

Default Vehicle inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
It shouldn't be unlawful if it promotes safer handling. The rear axle is shorter because it was used on dually rear wheels. I read where Pleasure-Way used them as standard equipment on earlier models.
Pennsylvania requires a yearly inspection on all vehicles unlike other states.
Only 7 states do not require inspections
I would not be surprised it there were more crashes in these states for failed brakes and tires
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I might point out that if the vehicle were in an accident snd the insurance adjuster determined that the wheel spacers could have in any way contributed, the insurance carrier would probably deny any claim arising. ...just sayin'
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #13
Bronze Member

The mechanic was correct. The relevant inspection regulation (67 Pa. Code Section 175.65) states:

§ 175.65. Tires and wheels.

(a) Condition of tires and wheels. Tires and wheels shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(b) Tire standards. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have tires manufactured in conformance with standards in Chapter 159 (relating to new pneumatic tires). See 75 Pa.C.S. § 4525 (relating to tire equipment and traction surfaces). Tires with equivalent metric size designations may be used.

(c) Radial ply tires. A radial ply tire may not be used on the same axle with a bias or belted tire.

(d) Different types of tires. Tires of different types, such as one snow tire and one regular tire or bias, belted or radial tire, may not be used on the same axle except in an emergency.

(e) Nonpneumatic tires. A passenger car or light truck operated on highway may not be equipped with nonpneumatic tires except an antique vehicle with nonpneumatic tires if originally equipped by the manufacturer.

(f) Ice grips or studs. A tire may not be equipped with ice grips or tire studs or wear-resisting material which have projections exceeding 2/32 inch beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire.

(g) Tires and rims. The axles of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with the number and type of tires and rims with a load rating equal to or higher than those offered by the manufacturer.

(h) Spacers. Spacers or similar devices thicker than 1/4 inch may not be installed to increase wheel track.

You are probably out of luck. Frankly, removing and replacing the spacers once a year sounds like a pain, and if they aren't properly torqued, you risk losing a wheel.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Pleasure Way added spacers on their 2010, 11, and 12 Excels to help alleviate sway issues.
SDDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #15

I also had the 1-ton Dodge rear axle offset problem. As previously stated, my first solution was to simply remove/replace the spacers each year. My ultimate solution as to have custom HD truck steel wheels fabricated by Stockton Wheel in California that incorporated the 2 inch additional offset. It worked fine and looked stock with wheel covers. Ask them about custom alloy.

Stockton Wheel
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDavis View Post
Pleasure Way added spacers on their 2010, 11, and 12 Excels to help alleviate sway issues.

Do you know how thick?

mike
Old 06-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #17
Gold Member

I Have spacers on my 95D190P and they do help. I know nothing about duals, but would it be possible to get some dual wheels and just mount the outside pair? Just my $0.02
Old 06-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #18
Silver Member

I have a 1987 Dodge B250 chassis. I have been searching for the proper spacer to bring the rear axial in line with the front. I was hoping to find wheelbase measurement charts. Next is craw under and measure the best I can.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
I have a 1987 Dodge B250 chassis. I have been searching for the proper spacer to bring the rear axial in line with the front. I was hoping to find wheelbase measurement charts. Next is craw under and measure the best I can.

You don't have to crawl under it to measure track width difference.

Just use a steel tape measure that is relatively stiff, like a 3/4" wide one. Pass the end under the van to someone on the other side and have them hold the end to an easy place to repeat, like the edge of tread pattern. You do the same on your side and line up to a repeatable place.

Do the front the to the same places and subtract.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Does anyone have any evidence the wheel adapters cause a dangerous situation? Surely the bearing and axle loads are different but are they being overly stressed?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote