Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Does anyone have any evidence the wheel adapters cause a dangerous situation? Surely the bearing and axle loads are different but are they being overly stressed?

Back in the day, like the late 60s-70s there were quite few spacer setups around here in the Minneapolis area. Chrome reverse wheels were also very popular and for bearing load and handling do the same thing as spacers. On the front, with the old style tapered roller setups and zero offset wheels the reverse would put the centerline of the wheel outside of the outer bearing, which puts the system into and overhung setup instead of bridge. Front bearings didn't like that and would certainly fail early back then. It was hard to tell for the rear bearings as they had fairly short life in many of the cars anyway as they were changing to unit bearings from adjustable tapered rollers on the semi floating rears and it didn't go very well for a while.

It was also fairly common to see up to 3/4-1 inch slip on wheel spacer used for clearance with long studs. They broke regularly and the big engine with big tires stuff would shear them right off sometimes at launch. They also had terrible wheel runout.

The nutted on with second set of stud style we have now wasn't around much then, unless it was on trucks and I didn't see many trucks in general.

It would be interesting to see if someone could shoot the axle hub temps in the rear with and without a spacer in place, as that would tell us a lot about how bad the bearing is getting abused, or not. The main differential may run hotter also, if it is a semi floater (don't know what the Dodges used) because there will also be extra load transferred to the carrier bearings inside the differential. We haven't heard of wholesale rear axle bearing failures with the Dodges when spacers put on, so probably not too bad and issue.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #22
Gold Member

Place something (a brick maybe) against the outside of each tire, front and rear. Make a mark on the pavement on the outside of the brick (or whatever). Move the vehicle. Measure the distances between the front pair and then the rear pair of marks. Subtract the rear from the front. You now have the difference. Divide that by two and that is the spacer size you need.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
I have to say I don't care for wheel spacers (agree with PA)especially that thick. I'd much rather pay the extra money and buy wheels with the proper off set to get them to sit out further.
You wouldn't be able to rotate the wheels without taking the tires off the rims, the rims might be illegal with that much offset. I haven't read any negative results from adding the spacers.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #24
Silver Member

I just got a reply from the Pennsylvania department of transportation after calling the representative, Aaron kaufer, for my district. What I have are wheel adapters not spacers. Spacers do not have lugs that bolts the tire to them, that's why they are limited to one quarter inch thickness, adapters do and ar absolutely legal!
Old 09-27-2020, 08:33 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Good for you. Now, can you get the inspectors to go along with it?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #26
Silver Member

I found another inspection station.