Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #41

Hey all, new here.

Thanks for the discussion.

We've got a 2010 190P with 60K on it. It's scary low due to plastic skirting in my opinion and the ride is not great. It also has a camber problem because both front tires are wearing badly on the insides.

Through this forum and some other research I am doing the following in a week or so.

1. Weldtec 3" drop spindles, 3" rear spacers and four fox shocks.
2. The black softer version of the front bump stop
3. 265 75 16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tires (I have stock steel wheels)
4. Alignment

I wanted to do the 3" lift rear springs from Weldtec but they are on back order for more than a few months and didn't want to wait. Likely will get those in early next year.

One question, I didn't intend to get any lift from the soft front SumoSprings, just a smoother ride. Thoughts?

Thanks....

Jeff
Jeff_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:20 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
Hey all, new here.

Thanks for the discussion.

We've got a 2010 190P with 60K on it. It's scary low due to plastic skirting in my opinion and the ride is not great. It also has a camber problem because both front tires are wearing badly on the insides.

Through this forum and some other research I am doing the following in a week or so.

1. Weldtec 3" drop spindles, 3" rear spacers and four fox shocks.
2. The black softer version of the front bump stop
3. 265 75 16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT tires (I have stock steel wheels)
4. Alignment

I wanted to do the 3" lift rear springs from Weldtec but they are on back order for more than a few months and didn't want to wait. Likely will get those in early next year.

One question, I didn't intend to get any lift from the soft front SumoSprings, just a smoother ride. Thoughts?

Thanks....

Jeff

You would be getting lift spindles, I hope, as I doubt you want to go lower

If you have the stock steel wheels, they are too narrow for that tire size as they are only 6.5" wide wheels. You would need to go the Silverado wheels that are listed in the numerous other threads as they are the right offset and 7" wide so good for the 265-75-16 tires. The silverado wheels have 6 cutouts instead of 5 like the stock wheels do. Be aware the bigger tires don't allow the tire carrier cover to be used and the mount itself needs to be modified a bit for them to fit. We carry the stock 245-75-16 for a spare.

Lift spindles don't change the relative positions of the control arms so the ride won't change much for just going higher. Most lift spindles do widen the track though, maybe an inch. Moving the wheel center out will increase the mechanical advantage and make the rids some amount softer. If you are already on the factory bump stop you won't see a lot of change and getting off the very stiff factory stop to Sumos may make the ride a bit better, from what we hear.

Before you do anything make sure they check why you are wearing the inside edges. It could be camber but could also be toe if it is toed out. Toed out will also make the handling pretty squirelly for most drivers.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You would be getting lift spindles, I hope, as I doubt you want to go lower

If you have the stock steel wheels, they are too narrow for that tire size as they are only 6.5" wide wheels. You would need to go the Silverado wheels that are listed in the numerous other threads as they are the right offset and 7" wide so good for the 265-75-16 tires. The silverado wheels have 6 cutouts instead of 5 like the stock wheels do. Be aware the bigger tires don't allow the tire carrier cover to be used and the mount itself needs to be modified a bit for them to fit. We carry the stock 245-75-16 for a spare.

Lift spindles don't change the relative positions of the control arms so the ride won't change much for just going higher. Most lift spindles do widen the track though, maybe an inch. Moving the wheel center out will increase the mechanical advantage and make the rids some amount softer. If you are already on the factory bump stop you won't see a lot of change and getting off the very stiff factory stop to Sumos may make the ride a bit better, from what we hear.

Before you do anything make sure they check why you are wearing the inside edges. It could be camber but could also be toe if it is toed out. Toed out will also make the handling pretty squirelly for most drivers.

Thanks. Honestly, I saw all your info on the wider steel rim but then I think I misread one of the posts that you could use the stock rim and 265 x 16s. I also talked to Weldtec and they said I could use the stock rims and 265's.

What are your thoughts on it? At this point I'm not going to spend money on new wheels, maybe some day. I can get the smaller tires still but would prefer the taller 265.

And yes, Lift spindles....
Jeff_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
Thanks. Honestly, I saw all your info on the wider steel rim but then I think I misread one of the posts that you could use the stock rim and 265 x 16s. I also talked to Weldtec and they said I could use the stock rims and 265's.

What are your thoughts on it? At this point I'm not going to spend money on new wheels, maybe some day. I can get the smaller tires still but would prefer the taller 265.

And yes, Lift spindles....

I am going by the tire manufacturers specifications for wheel width requirements. They list 7.0" wheels minimum width. On a light vehicle probably not a big deal and the offroad folks do odd stuff all the time as it appears to suit what they are doing. Personally, I didn't feel comfortable going off specification on a 5 ton van. It might also absolve the tire company if there was a bad accident from a tire failure, but I am not an lawyer so don't know for sure.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:57 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Congratulations, Weldtec & Jerry are an absolute pleasure to deal with.

By the way, when I was down there, I went whole hog & bought a set of Method 17inch Rims & Tires they had sitting around so maybe they have an option like that for you.

What are the 3inch REAR LIFT Springs? Are they an oversized spring? Are they a better or cheaper option than the Fox Shocks?

I know my rig was already lifted in the rear with a Supersprings system but I did the 2 inch Aluminum Billet Blocks.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesv999 View Post
Update on Wheel/Tire/Suspension Upgrade for our 2014 Roadtrek 190P

Posting to www.classbforum.com, CyberRally, and Facebook

Base vehicle: 2014 Chevy Express 3500 LT Extended Cargo Van, 2WD, 26580 miles
- Original Roadtrek/AR wheels: 16x7, offset -6mm, bolt pattern 8x165.10
- Original tires: Bridgestone V-Steel RIB 265, LT245/75R16/E, 120/116S

Why upgrade?
- We wanted to improve the handling and increase the ground clearance.
- The original tires were nearly 7 years old so due to be replaced.
- The original Roadtrek/AR aluminum wheels were discolored and unappealing.
- We had previously upgraded to Bilstein shocks, which helped, but not enough.

After talking with many people and reading through many more threads on Facebook, CyberRally and www.classbforum.com, it becomes clear there are numerous suspension upgrade options to consider, including:
1. Shock replacements (Bilstein)
2. Rear air lift systems (Air Lift 5000)
3. Front coil spring replacements (Moog, TufTruck, SuperCoil, Bill Erb)
4. Bump stop replacements (SumoSprings)
5. Leaf spring upgrades (SuperSprings, Bill Erb)
6. Steering stabilizers (RoadMaster)
7. Lift kits (Weldtec Designs, Boulder Offroad, Supreme Suspensions)

I learned that one way to judge how low your Roadtrek is riding is to measure from the ground to the top of each wheel well at the center of the wheel. Assuming you have stock tires and wheels, 35.5” is near the upper limit of the spec for this vehicle. Going higher may be problematic, although several people have reportedly done so without issues. Ours were measuring 33.5” all around so we were hoping to gain about 2”.

Several people have reported success with above options #1-2-3 (Bilsteins, Air Lift, New Coils). However, we decided to go with options #1-4-7 (Bilsteins, SumoSprings, Lift Kit), in part because I liked the idea of using SumoSprings versus air springs, and in part because I wanted to go with a “supported” solution and could not find a coil vendor who would support bringing up the front of this vehicle by the desired amount (Moog and TufTruck told me they do not have supported replacement coils for this vehicle. SuperSprings has one, but only for the heavier diesel engine version of this van. Bill Erb at Valley Spring Works will reportedly make custom springs, but people have reported mixed results with them).

There seems to be widespread agreement that Bilsteins are a big improvement over the OEM shocks, and I also found many people weighing in with support for SumoSprings. The rear bump stops that come stock on this vehicle are ineffective. Replacing them with SumoSprings brought the rear up to 35.5” as desired, and greatly improved the vehicle handling. SumoSprings in front did not change the vehicle height, but adding the Supreme Suspensions 2” front lift kit (aluminum spacers that go over the coil springs) brought the front measurement up to 35.5” as desired.

I wanted to go with MotoMetal wheels, however they recommend a 17” wheel for this vehicle. I was concerned that going bigger might create clearance issues so talked with my local Chevy dealer who recommended going to a lower profile tire in order to maintain close to the same 30.5” outside diameter as the original tires. This also meant the speedometer and odometer would not require recalibration. I was mildly concerned about the wheel offset changing from -6mm to 0mm, but it ended up not being a problem (note: the steel wheels that come standard on this vehicle are +28mm offset, so the MotoMetal wheels are actually closer to the OEM spec).

As for tires, user recommendations are all over the place. I wanted to go with an All-Terrain tire because we do a lot of boondocking on dirt and gravel roads. My local tire dealer recommended the BF Goodrich KO2, and their reviews are excellent so I decided to give them a try. Changing from LT245/75R16 to LT245/70R17 increased the overall tire diameter by a mere 1mm (0.04”), but it also decreased the upper load index slightly, from 120 (3086 lbs/tire) to 119 (2998 lbs/tire), which should not be a problem given that our fully loaded weights are 4120 lbs. on the front axle and 4780 lbs. on the rear axle.

We could not be more pleased with the resulting look and, more importantly, performance of the new setup. We just got back from a 7-day road trip in Northern California where we put her to the test. Handling was off the charts better and, surprisingly, the noise level inside the RV is much quieter than before.

The specific parts used in our upgrade:
- Bilstein shocks (24-187435 front, 24-221948 rear)
- SuperSprings SumoSprings (black SSF-204-47 front, yellow SSR-205-54 rear)
- Supreme Suspensions 2” Front Lift Kit (A0731)
- MotoMetal wheels (MO97078080300, 17x8, gloss black machined)
- BF Goodrich tires (All Terrain T/A KO2, LT245/70R17/E, 119/116S)
- Low priced tire for original steel wheel / continental spare tire kit (LT245/75R16/E)

I attempted to get input from all of the above vendors before purchasing their products. Shout out to Bilstein, SuperSprings, Supreme Suspensions and BF Goodrich for their outstanding responsiveness and customer service. MotoMetal on the other hand did not respond to multiple phone calls or online inquiries, but I do like their wheels. Finally, huge thanks to all those who posted helpful information on the above mentioned Roadtrek user forums!
How much was the rear of your van lifted and did the sumo springs actually make contact as intended? I went with the WeldTec 5" lift (full new rear leaf pack) and when I called sumo springs they said there was no product that would work for my application because I was lifted too tall. I'm curious how it's going for ya!
osinrider04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:36 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osinrider04 View Post
I called sumo springs they said there was no product that would work for my application because I was lifted too tall.
Hello and Welcome

can you make a 5" riser plate for the sumos to rest on to make up for the lift ?

on my stock height van the sumos are a good easy inexpensive plus

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Yes I too have successfully lifted my Rig 4 times now, a little higher each time as I have posted ad nauseum.

I am so high up now its highly unlikely I my Sumo Springs in the rear ever made contact..

Supersprings Bump Stops work.

The rear overleaf spring is operating like new.

After 5 years I just replaced them as they looked ratty on one side only to be told, you could have gotten another 10 years out of them.

My Erb Coils are still working great but if I wanted to go 5inches up front by adding 2 inch spacers (already have the 3 inch lift), Jeremy at Weldtec said he will save me a set of coils that come off a stock van as the Erb Springs were too big for the spacers.

The Bilsteins all around worked well however on the rear passenger the shock broke through the suffrage & we had to fabricate a beefier contact point.

The 5th photo doesn't do justice to the lift provided next to another 2004 rig
Did you find a rear sumo spring that would work in your situation? I think we have the same lift height and the sumo springs recommended for a stock height van are no where near close to my lift.
osinrider04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:07 AM   #49
Gold Member

A review of you Weldtec 5" rear lifted springs would be great to hear on how you rig rides now!
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Buc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:33 PM   #50
Platinum Member

We've got the Cooper tires and I really like them.
Some info on what I've done on our tubby 210, may be of help or interest in your application.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...des-13041.html
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote