Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2021, 05:30 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default When buying...

Are there any resources/websites spelling out what to check and how best to do that when one acquires a new or almost new classbrv?
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Don't know what your capabilities are

very generally;

have the "van" part checked by an experienced tech, if going to a shop, let them know what you want and that your van height and weight ( will the shop door or lift be able to accommodate)

all the "Motorhome stuff" you should be able to check function with help of the owners manual for the RV plus the manual for each component

furnace, cooker, hot water, AC, fridge and etc.

I did the "van" part myself

and the "RV part" I did in my driveway over a couple of days learning the systems, doing some checks and adjustments with the manuals

essentially "practice camping" in the driveway with access to tools and internet for info and youtube

so that I wouldn't be at a campground or dump station wondering "how do I..."

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thank you Mike! Not a mechanic, just average handy with stuff.
Not sure about the chassis stuff, will still be under warranty so not too concerned. I won't have a couple of days, more like an hour or two.
I want to make sure I don't miss anything on the camper side... thought there may be a checklist or something, didn't find one, so I made one up myself. Never had a MH before so not sure if it makes any sense. Something like that -

• Doors / Bathroom
• Drawers
• Awning

Battery Voltage: ___
Refrigerator Temp: ___
Inverter -> outlets 110V
USB & 12V outlets
Heater/water pump/hot water
Solar charging

Run Generator
Test A/C
Microwave

Drive

I have rented RV's before so not too concerned about the "how to dump" part, more like missing anything glaring during the walk-through and then having to do another 10 hour round-trip and camping at the dealer.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

My suggestion is that the focus should be on things that are hard or expensive to fix/replace, and things you cannot fix/replace yourself.

Add to your list:

Furnace
Stovetop
Tank gauges

And I'd also check the RV mfg. web site for known services bulletins and recalls. The seller might not have gone through the headache of addressing them.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
My suggestion is that the focus should be on things that are hard or expensive to fix/replace, and things you cannot fix/replace yourself.

Add to your list:

Furnace
Stovetop
Tank gauges

And I'd also check the RV mfg. web site for known services bulletins and recalls. The seller might not have gone through the headache of addressing them.
Good points, I called the furnace "heater"...
Stovetop and gauges definitely need checking. Added to my list. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Are there any resources/websites spelling out what to check and how best to do that when one acquires a new or almost new classbrv?
Hi:

Depending upon the brand. Facebook has lots of forums for PW, Coachman,LTV and Travato. Check them out. People are always posting questions regarding issues and modifications and upgrades.

Best of Luck
Old 12-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Good point, but no book for me
I know, I am missing out, but...

@Michael - actually there is a recall, so I'll bring that up while at it. Thanks again, good point!
https://www.rvtravel.com/thor-recall...-short-danger/
Old 12-30-2021, 05:42 AM   #8
Platinum Member

This is pretty good for an RV noob like me...

Old 12-30-2021, 11:05 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Good point, but no book for me
I know, I am missing out, but...

@Michael - actually there is a recall, so I'll bring that up while at it. Thanks again, good point!
https://www.rvtravel.com/thor-recall...-short-danger/
Being this is your first RV. I would look for a manufacturer with a good reputation. These vehicles look good from a cursory review. It is what is under the floorboards and hidden which really tells the story. Look at PWs. They tend to be a bit more expensive but are very well built. I have worked on mine over the years. And can tell you, PW does a good job with electrical and plumbing. I have upgraded the water heater, electrical systems, air conditioner, etc. Not because of craftsmanship but I wanted better and quieter appliances which were not available when my model was manufactured.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I hear ya... but there are more constraints. Been looking for a short (<18ft) "B" and unfortunately there isn't much variety besides the 18M's.
No bathroom doesn't work for us. Porta-potty in the center of the van doesn't work either. Which then excludes the Solis.
The only other option I know of is the Carado/Axion, but I am not sure they are made anymore, Hymer quality is questionable too, and they are all fairly expensive and rare (far away).
There are many tempting options over in Europe, like the Nugget, or the California/Yosemite/whatnot, but none of them available in California or Yosemite. Importing isn't cost effective. DIY/custom build not something I want to do.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:03 PM   #11
Platinum Member

If I were buying used, about 90% of my concern would be about the chassis. Just like buying a used car, I would pay a mechanic to check it out thoroughly. Everything else is fairly inexpensive to replace once it has been wired, plumbed and installed (refrigerator, furnace, etc.). I would buy an RV with an inoperable refrigerator but not one with a chassis that had been in an accident, had a bad transmission, hadn't been maintained properly, etc..
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The chassis is almost new, about 4000 mi on it and still under warranty, so I think I am good there. I am now post purchase and climbing up that initial learning curve. Hundred questions that I will need to ask/research/figure out on my own.

I am amazed about the shoddy workmanship esp with some of the panels, but that gives me something to do.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Here is a website that has a lots of "Checklist" that you could customize as needed. https://changingears.com/rv-ownership/rv-checklists/
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Very detailed, good stuff, thanks for sharing!