Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default When did the 24'+ class C makes start using Sprinters?

I was looking for something the other day and happened upon this retailer's website and saw the mention of a Citation class B+ (I always thought they were a small C, whenever I saw one in the wild, but they can call it whatever they want).
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-Th ... -110951013
I expected to see the "box" on a GM or Ford chassis, but was surprised to see the Sprinter chassis. When did this change I wonder? I haven't been paying attention, I guess. Chateau and Four Winds still use N/A chassis it seems? Longer chassis must make it a requirement once you get over 24'.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: When did the 24'+ class C makes start using Sprinters?

I noticed this at a local Forest River dealer that sold Sunseekers and Soleras. They only were selling the Solera, not the 24' Sunseeker, although they offered the longer and shorter models.

This also has spread to other brands. People want Sprinters because of the better handling, M-B logo, and the very good fuel economy. The 2014 Sprinters up the ante offering a lot of safety features as well as better MPG with the four-banger diesel.

There is the fact that the Econoline days are limited, and that Chevy doesn't have anything equal to an E-450 in its lineup. Because of this, the C industry is going to move to another chassis, and right now, Sprinter is the only game in town. However, as i've rambled about before, this will be radically changed in a year or two when the Ford Transits are available and give most of the advantages of the Sprinter, but with gasoline engines. The ProMasters are also a common platform for "coach builts", with Winnebago's Trend being the opening salvo.

There are always downsides; the ProMaster chassis is a lightweight compared to the Econoline, so slideouts will be a thing of the past on that chassis.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The 2006 Winnebago View 23H & 23J is actually 24' 2".
The 2006 Vista Cruiser Mini is just under 24 feet at 23' 10".

I think the 2006 model year was the start of it. They may have been at the late 2005 RV shows.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

DOH!!!!!! I guess some of the manufacturers designed all new products for the Sprinter chassis like the View and Navion, etc. but I must have missed some existing "box on a Ford/GM" designs rolling over onto the Sprinter.
This is an example of what surprised me about it, the older (shorter) models are on non-Sprinters, the brand new ones are now on Sprinters. So, some converters are still moving their smaller models to Sprinters, I guess?
http://www.rvtrader.com/Class-C%3A-RVs- ... sn=hybrid&