Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

Default When to buy a PW Ascent and what to offer

We have decided on a new PW Ascent, but understand that they are now back ordering for 2021 and 2022. Given this timeline, are recent purchasers getting discounts and if so what discounts, and does it make any sense to wait a little longer into winter to order?
Thanks.
jomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Demand has never been higher, neither have prices

Used units are selling top dollar and quickly

assuming a return to "normality"

I could see the new owners loosing interest and taking a bath a few years out

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomv View Post
We have decided on a new PW Ascent, but understand that they are now back ordering for 2021 and 2022. Given this timeline, are recent purchasers getting discounts and if so what discounts, and does it make any sense to wait a little longer into winter to order?
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum jomv!

When I bought used 3 years ago, I thought prices were ridiculously high. But today finds us in a super-heated seller's market. As previously stated, it may revert to a buyer's market, but not for several years.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:42 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomv View Post
Thanks.
Discounts have become rare... especially for high demand units like Pleasureway. There are also reports that again converters are having trouble getting vans because of Amazon and all the other delivery fleet buyers.

I'd say, decide when you hope to get it, and assume that you will likely have to pay MSRP... and that the order might be delayed even later than originally hoped for...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
Silver Member

Back in July and August, factory orders could be had for about 10% under MSRP.

But since then, PW has restricted the number of factory orders dealers could place, and that restricted the future supply in a more finite way while demand remains high.

Things changed fast from the spring to the summer, and supply became even more constricted relative to demand into the fall. But this can’t continue forever. It’s just impossible to predict when the market will crest and how quickly buyers regain some leverage.

I would be surprised if a new Ascent could be had for under MSRP, but I would certainly try. I’d probably start by contacting dealers in locations where temperatures fall below freezing and be willing to travel to pick it up. I don’t think that placing a factory order in winter will give you a better deal but buying from a dealer’s stock in the winter might.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

For what it is worth, we were able to find a new Sprinter van a couple years ago (which might be very difficult now unless you own Amazon) and had a custom builder virtually copy the Ascent with less waiting time and less expense. We did it primarily because we didn’t like a few of Pleasureways decisions like an old fashioned 3 way refrigerator, an LP generator and LP heat and hot water. I had no interest in being propane dependent and instead wanted an efficient compressor refrigerator, a second alternator, an awesome diesel heater and a spare tire to name a few of our upgrades. We ended up with a faster, better and cheaper copy of the Ascent although going custom did take a little extra legwork.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #7

Hi jrobe,
Thanks for your reply. Would you mind sharing who your custon builder was?
Thanks
Old 11-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile. We got our van at the local Freightliner Dealer who have also been great for service. They are even open nights and weekends for the truckers. Feel free to PM me.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:13 AM   #9
Silver Member

I'm starting to think that PW Ascents are like trees... "the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago..."

It feels like the end of July / beginning of August time frame (when I ordered mine, about two weeks after Gaucho ordered his) was the last reasonable opportunity to get one in anything resembling a tolerable time frame (ie, 6 months). They're ridiculously backed up now, and (as Gaucho noted) they've gone to an allotment system for dealers where there's a limit on how many a dealer can obtain before they get bumped to 2022. Part of the problem is that they can only build about 5 a week for all short-body (ie, 19 foot) vans (sprinter and promaster combined).

Sportsmobile, when I checked in July, was running a year-to-14-months for their custom builds. I doubt that has improved. I talked to one or two other custom houses that told me similar timeframes. Part of the issue is a huge supply chain backlog for various parts thanks to Covid (which is, of course, the very thing that's driving demand).

For what it's worth, since I placed my order in July, I've had three offers from dealers for new-or-almost-new sprinter builds where, for whatever reason, the deal fell through (one ascent, one revel, and an airstream 19). I have no doubt that they sold as fast as the dealers sent the e-mails about them, but it is theoretically possible to snag something. I wouldn't bank on it, though.

Unfortunately, as others have said, there's just no way to predict if-or-when the market will soften.
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Things have probably changed in the last couple years but our Sportsmobile waiting time was cut about in half because we obtained our Freightliner Sprinter locally on our own and they couldn’t get vans for other customers. It also helped that we didn’t need a 4x4 Sprinter. This has also been a significant benefit because we established a local service relationship.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:15 PM   #11

I just bought an Airstream 19 from Patrick at Colonial RV in New Jersey. Hopefully it will be built in April and finished in May. The whole purchase process was very professional. The Airstream has a 4 wheel drive option, which was an option I wanted. There are many dealers throughout the US to go for service. The build quality of the airstream is very high. I do not mean to knock your desire to get a Pleasureway, I just thought you would like the information.
jerrysimps@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #12

HI Jerrysimps,

Thanks for your suggestion for the Airstream 19. In talking with our local dealer, the order time is much, much shorter and interestingly, they only want a much smaller deposit for placing an order. Your suggestion regarding dealership locations for service is very helpful.
Thanks.

Tags
best time to buy, pleasure way ascent, purchase price