Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Where is your cabin temp sensor?

Just interested--where is your cabin temperature sensor? Mine is on the bottom of a row of upper cabinets. The sensor works fine, but if the sun is on the same side it reads really high! I was wondering why the air was coming on when it felt like the van was in the 70s, and the sensor was reading about 90.

On the chance it was reading from the wood cabinetry, I lowered it just a bit with a couple of rubber grommets.

It would make more sense on the interior divider wall between the cabin and the rear bath, but I'm not sure I'm up to fishing wires in this thing.

Right now depending upon how I park I can alleviate the effect with a small USB fan aimed at the sensor, but I am interested to see if any of you have noticed the same.

Thanks again!

JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We have a rear bedroom setup and it is located on the bedroom side of the divider wall between the bedroom and bathroom around 4 or 5 feet off the floor.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
We have a rear bedroom setup and it is located on the bedroom side of the divider wall between the bedroom and bathroom around 4 or 5 feet off the floor.
That makes way more sense. Now if I can just figure out a way to fish wires in an RV . . .
Old 11-29-2022, 06:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

On my 2011 Roadtrek C210P when the hot afternoon sun would shine on the passenger side where the thermostat was located it would go into an error and shut down the AC. I extended the wires and moved it to the wall of the cabinet getting it away from the sun's heat. It has worked great since then. I ran the wires behind the fabric wall paneling.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Another thought is to see if you can locate where the thermostat wires terminate at a relay or control system. You may find it is very close to where you want to relocate the thermostat. Mine terminate under the bed right below where the thermostat is.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:32 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks all for the ideas! I think the sensor is wired to the G12 control unit, which is in an upper cabinet just behind the driver. I might be able to access the rear divider wall using the wiring holes used for the TV unit. Even when pushed back, the TV is at least 3-4 inches away from the wall. So if I do go ahead, I might mount it on the divider wall near the door behind the TV. It would be great to have it on the other side of the divider, but not sure how to get wiring to that side.

Here's a photo to explain. Again, thanks for all the input!

Old 12-02-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I don't know how ambitious you are. I forgot to drain the shower head hose one winter and ended up having to figure out how to replace the shower valve. I learned that those plastic trim pieces on the walls that are color-matched to the wall panel just snap into place. Once you pry them off you should find screws underneath them that will let you open the panel as much as you need to for access.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:45 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I just placed a half inch thick piece of foam behind the thermostat. Works fine.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I just placed a half inch thick piece of foam behind the thermostat. Works fine.
That looks easy to try! Thanks!

(And thanks to all the other replies too)