Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 01:59 AM   #1

Default Where to buy Bilstein shocks?

2012 RT Chevy with 174,000 miles
I need new shocks and have seen strong recommendations for Bilstein. My mechanic says it's best for me to buy shocks online and he'll install them for $150.

A few questions:
Where should I go to buy the shocks online? Price is important but not critical.

Should I get all four or just front? (It's a front shock that's gone bad)

Is $150 reasonable for installation?

Thanks, John
John10ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Mine came from tirerack.com, 4 years ago

at $83 x 4

amazon was a little more expensive then

( just checked now - $114 each)

so look around

for my 2005 Chev 3500 chassis 2006 Pleasure-Way Lexor TD I got 4600 series:

Bilstein 24-187435 front

Bilstein 24-221948 rear

post #23 here is my saga putting them on:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ns-6540-2.html

$150 is a bargain- and if they do a great job you should drop off a 12 of cold beer at the end of a day

they will welcome you back

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #3

Default Bilstein shocks part number

I called Tire Rack and the salesperson didn't know which part to recommend. He found shocks for a 2012 Chevy 3500 but wasn't sure they were the right ones for an RVs extra weight.

Do you (anyone?) have a part number or other way to identify the Bilstein that you're happy with?

This is more complex than I thought it would be. Is there a choice between ride comfort and better handling and the shocks installed?
John10ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10ey View Post
I called Tire Rack and the salesperson didn't know which part to recommend. He found shocks for a 2012 Chevy 3500 but wasn't sure they were the right ones for an RVs extra weight.

Do you (anyone?) have a part number or other way to identify the Bilstein that you're happy with?

This is more complex than I thought it would be. Is there a choice between ride comfort and better handling and the shocks installed?

Bilstein did a bunch of p/n changing a few years ago a mucked up finding most anything they sell. You would want the what I think was called the "b" series in the past and they were yellow with blue dirt covers. Best to look at the Bilstein site to see if the application chart is a help.

On edit, here is a link to a 2007 Chevy 3500 van which is likely what you need also. Hopefully it will carry all the settings through, if not use the application search.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/produ...32686239932088
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10ey View Post

i posted these above

btw a "2012 roadtrek" is possibly on a "2011 chevrolet express"

this could make a difference when shopping mechanical parts

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
Silver Member

Did you have a noticeable improvement with the Bilstein shocks? I've got a used 2013 RT 210 and it is rough but I don't know what it would have been when new. An experience with Bilstein vs stock is appreciated.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver007 View Post
Did you have a noticeable improvement with the Bilstein shocks? I've got a used 2013 RT 210 and it is rough but I don't know what it would have been when new. An experience with Bilstein vs stock is appreciated.

Bilsteins may help, but everyone's definition of "rough" is different. Small bumps vs big bumps is also different.

The Chevies sit very low with the front and rear suspensions almost on the bump stops all the time, plus in the rear, particularly 210s are close to or sitting on the overload leaf in the rear spring pack.

If it is big bump harshness, and maybe a noise from the rear, you would need to lift the van a bit to get it off the stops and overlaod leaf. Bilsteins will not get rid of that part of the "roughness" in most cases. If it is small bump stuff and excess tire bounce than the Bilsteins will help a lot.

Most folks do notice some improvement, especially if the stock shocks are shot, much less if the stock ones are good or new replacements.

Many of us have lifted the Chevies to improve ground clearance, smoothness, and wind handling.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Night and day…no more body lean so bad you think you are tipping over, no more bouncy-bouncy at every RR crossing.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Night and day…no more body lean so bad you think you are tipping over, no more bouncy-bouncy at every RR crossing.
I agree.

You could try Shockwarehouse.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote