Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Where's the hot water gulfstream vista mb?

We bought a 2007 gulfstream vista mb24 in January. We went on a trip to Florida in March. When we left Illinois it as 10 degrees so had no way to check water heater out until we got to Georgia. I can't figure it out. I thought the salesman said we would have hot water all the time. Then they said later only when we are connected to electric. Can anyone help me out with this? Is there a hidden switch that I don't know about? Sharon
trippinrv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The Gulfstream brochure only says "On demand hot water (approximately 30 deg. above water temperature)". I would assume since the salesman said only when connected to electric that you have an electric tankless water heater that raises the water as it passes through coils in the line and no water heater tank. Look for a small box like device with an electrical hookup connected to the water line that feeds the hot water side of your faucets. They are usually no bigger than a shoe box. Tankless units are usually hardwired so there is no switch to turn on or off. If it is not heating it could be it is either not connected properly or a circuit breaker is tripped.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Silver Member

That's something that should be in the Owners Manual.

I've heard this before, but often wonder how they would do it with electric. Getting popular in homes, tankless Gas Hot Water tanks are about $1000. But electric, what Kilowattage? (I have 50/100 amp services going to commercial dishwashers just for 180 deg rinses)

To raise 1lb of water 1 deg F req. 1 BTU. One gal(imp) 10lbs. So 30 deg (I'm assuming F not C) gives you a 100 deg shower but a little to cold for dishes.

You get 1500 watts typical at most sites(but your fridge maybe 300-500), times 3.413btu/watt or about 5000 btu/hr. Maybe 17gph. Or 9.5gph if your talking C.

I would really like to know if this is electric or propane??

I have seen Marko's/Rodger replacement shower head, so maybe 17/9.5 gph isn't out of the question. http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...ht=shower+head
paulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I couldn't agree more. A tankless water heater relying on electricity to heat water would need an enormous amout of energy and getting it in a hury seems impossible.

One of my favorite things about the Itasca Suncruiser I had was that its water heater also had a connection to the engine coolant, keeping the hot water available as you traveled. It doesn't seem to be too hard to do the same in a "B." I've forgotten what brand of water heater it was, but it was pre-plumbed for hooking to the engine coolant.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Maybe this will enlighten.

http://www.tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/

I wonder if the tankless water heater isn't something like this Stiebel.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Stie ... 67/Cat/474
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
The Gulfstream brochure only says "On demand hot water (approximately 30 deg. above water temperature)". I would assume since the salesman said only when connected to electric that you have an electric tankless water heater that raises the water as it passes through coils in the line and no water heater tank. Look for a small box like device with an electrical hookup connected to the water line that feeds the hot water side of your faucets. They are usually no bigger than a shoe box. Tankless units are usually hardwired so there is no switch to turn on or off. If it is not heating it could be it is either not connected properly or a circuit breaker is tripped.
Been gone awhile, no trip, just the hospital. My water heater is a chronomite heated by propane. After we bought it "other People" told us we needed electric, the salesman said things to the effect we would have hot water all the time heated by engine. However, the one page in the papers I have does say its designed to operate at a specified voltage and amperage is drawn when the heating coils are activated.
I am going to search around again tomorrow and figure out what I can. Plug it in etc.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm
That's something that should be in the Owners Manual.

I've heard this before, but often wonder how they would do it with electric. Getting popular in homes, tankless Gas Hot Water tanks are about $1000. But electric, what Kilowattage? (I have 50/100 amp services going to commercial dishwashers just for 180 deg rinses)

To raise 1lb of water 1 deg F req. 1 BTU. One gal(imp) 10lbs. So 30 deg (I'm assuming F not C) gives you a 100 deg shower but a little to cold for dishes.

You get 1500 watts typical at most sites(but your fridge maybe 300-500), times 3.413btu/watt or about 5000 btu/hr. Maybe 17gph. Or 9.5gph if your talking C.

I would really like to know if this is electric or propane??

I have seen Marko's/Rodger replacement shower head, so maybe 17/9.5 gph isn't out of the question. http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...ht=shower+head
The single paragraph about the water heater in the owners manuel says it uses propane as fuel and tells me I can access it outside the vechicle. Actually it's inside the cargo area in the back. It is only about as big as a shoe box.
The one page from Chronomite Water Heater tells me I need specified voltage to operate and the Amperage is drawn when the heating coils are activated. Also states there is a shut-off valve. I am on a mission tomorrow to figure this out as it is still under warranty. Sharon
Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
Platinum Member

That would mean it is still a tankless water heater. They can run on electric or LP or typically natural gas in a home. I went back and looked at the electric tankless water heaters and they all seem to have a high amp demand. When you have only a 30 amp service that would not be very practical. That would also preclude having hot water in a boondocking situation. So it would make sense to run on LP.

Most of the manufacturers have 6 gallon LP heated water heater tanks and they take about 20 minutes to heat up.