Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #1

Default Which class B for me?

Hi

My wife and I are considering going motorized. We have a very light tear drop that we have been towing with my two seat roadster, a Honda S2000. We would like to step into something a little bigger mainly to have a bathroom in the middle of the night. The thing is I absolutely love driving the car through the twisties. I’d like something that could tow the car. Hoping to zero in on a few class B and maybe class C models that fit our budget. Budget is around $20k.

I’m willing to travel anywhere in the US or Canada.

We are weekend warriors and maybe do a few trips per that are as long as 5 days.

Needs:
tow approx 4000 lbs while the van is loaded.. The car is 2700 lbs and can’t be flat towed. I think I’ll need a flat bed.

Queen size bed (approx) running north south so we don’t have to climb over each other. I’m only 5’9” so we don’t need a long bed either. We *dont* want to sleep on top in a pop top.

Bathroom or more specifically toilet. Can be a sani potti or similar.

Sleeps 2. We don’t anticipate guests.

Tall enough to stand in. Again, I’m only 5’9”

Front airbags. Preferably side airbags too.

Climate control. A full on hvac system would be great but we anticipate this as a three season camper and can use a space heater. AC or at least a fantastic fan.

Want:
Reasonable size that’s drivable and parks in normal parking lots. We would prefer something a little more stealthy that could be parked in our driveway but we are willing to store it away from home. This may have to be an area of compromise. It seems the camper vans are a lot more expensive.

Not important:
Shower

Fridge. We have a big Yeti cooler and could add a freestanding one like a Dometic or other brand.

I’m not sure we need a stove. We like to cook outside anyway on our propane stove.

We don’t anticipate a lot of winter camping or rain camping. If the weather is bad we would just assume not go camping.

Gas mileage. I don’t think we will do more than 3000 miles per year.

Thanks in advance for any ideas for models to consider.
ChiClassB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My '97 GMC Savana van has driver & passenger air bags. It's 20 years old so you should have lots of choices. It doesn't have side air bags.

I'm a fan of GMC or Chevy vans at around or just over the price point you're looking at. The '04 Roadtrek 190P I once had would seem to fit your requirements. That year might come with the full floater rear axle, 4.10 axle ratio, auxiliary oil and transmission coolers which would all be good for towing.

The rear bed could be one big bed or optionally two twins depending on how you choose to set it up.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

This may help.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm

This may also help if you need one bed wider than the other.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...-bed-5823.html
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
My '97 GMC Savana van has driver & passenger air bags. It's 20 years old so you should have lots of choices. It doesn't have side air bags.

I'm a fan of GMC or Chevy vans at around or just over the price point you're looking at. The '04 Roadtrek 190P I once had would seem to fit your requirements. That year might come with the full floater rear axle, 4.10 axle ratio, auxiliary oil and transmission coolers which would all be good for towing.

The rear bed could be one big bed or optionally two twins depending on how you choose to set it up.
We would look for a single large bed. We might even put a real mattress down and make it a full time bed. We eat outside whenever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
This may help.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm

This may also help if you need one bed wider than the other.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...-bed-5823.html
Thanks for the S2000 thread! I think I came across that user's thread on S2ki.com and there have a been a couple more recent threads since but they all seem to refer to that. There is one dolley and oddly its made only for the 2004 even though there are not significant differences between the years. I'll ask my local S2000 guru as well.

If I lived in, say, North Carolina and had great driving roads around my house, I'd get a Suburban and a regular travel trailer and call it a day. Unfortunately an decent road is at least 3 hours from where we live. Picture of the current rig just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EGpLT19tQpiRYLqpRST5ZA_thumb_17876.jpg (319.0 KB, 7 views)
ChiClassB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Some owners choose to switch to a permanent mattress bed in the rear in a 190P. I think Booster did that so there are probably some photos on the forum.

Often, small RV's have a temporary bed setup. It can be for sitting during the day and for sleeping at night. You'd probably get into 25' or longer units if wanting say a walk-around queen bed and that would likely be in an east/west slideout config.

The RT 190V layout would be a double size east/west bed. Newer units like the Travato 59G would have a double size north/south bed.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote