Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #21

Default Rent First

[QUOTE=Vee and Zeekie;115447]As I search for my first camper van/Class B, I see new ones, newish ones, oldish ones, and old ones. What is my best bet as a single female without much experience (though strong interest in learning!)? I can afford about $100K after taxes, registration, insurance. But, of course, I would be MUCH happier spending a whole lot less if possible! (I love a good deal! Who doesn't?). Maybe something that has withstood the test of time is more reliable than something that is on the new side and could be a lemon? Or do you really get what you pay for? In which case, spending the most I can afford would be the way to go. Any thoughts would be welcome.

(Side note: I am looking at a local 2001 American Cruiser with 55K miles next week. He wants $25K. From the American Cruiser FB group I joined, that seems high. But probably negotiable. I will look at it no matter what, even if it's just to learn).[/QUOTE

I would suggest that you rent a few first. It seems expensive at first but it's worth the money to know what you want versus what you like and what to expect. Even if renting 3 or 4 different models/ages, the money spent up front is small compared to buying something and then realizing that it just doesn't work for you IMHO...hope this helps.
DarinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobow View Post
I have read all the responses to your questions on a first time buy. Good information for you. I didn't see where anyone mentioned if you have any interest in what the rv looks like on the exterior. Some mentioned the interior.
When I bought my 1998 Roadtrek 190 I hired an experienced person to do the search for me. I was definitely interested in an older rv beause of cost. It took a couple months and he charged 10% fee but well worth it. I live in N. Calif and he finally located my rv in Oregon. He drove to Oregon with his friend and my cash. Checked out the rv and took it to a mechanic in Oregon and had it checked even more.
So I was and still am happy with the Roadtrek. Clean outside and in. 95 k miles, 2 previous owners, $17,000 plus 10% finders fee and that was ten years ago. And drives like a car. Reliable 318 V-8 engine in a 3500 Dodge chassis. Look at photo. Replaced tires, battery, and transmission over last ten years. I don't put a lot of miles on it. Best to you, Bob
Hi Bob,

I don't how to go about finding such a person. I would gladly pay 10% to be able to describe my various requirements and to have someone find the right van for me. I also live in N. Cal. (Tahoe). If you could refer me to your guy, that would be great. Thank you!
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:21 AM   #23
Bronze Member

This is what I posted on your last inquiry about looking for a Class B and safety. I guess you didn't see it. Here it is again...

I would like to share my experience buying a Class B Camper…

My husband and I always camped during the 40 years that we were together. He was an excellent mechanic and super handy. He could fix anything. Now, here I was a widow with a Hallmark pop-up camper on the back of a F250 Diesel truck. The camper was a pain to put up and take down. I was on my own and looking for a better option. I saw my friend’s Pleasure Way Class B and that was it! I was on a mission. No problem!!!

Things to consider:

First on the list for me was budget. The newer Class Bs are VERY expensive! They were totally out of my league and I have no problem with buying an older vehicle.

Second was mileage. By the way, an “older” vehicle with “low” miles is not necessarily a good thing.

Third, was bells and whistles. If you aren’t going to boondock very much, do you really need that fancy solar system? When I boondock for a period of time, I am very conscious of my battery usage and tend to use solar or battery powered lanterns. Also, all of my light fixures now have LED bulbs. I do have a generator so that I can use my microwave or Nespresso Espresso maker. I can monitor the house batteries on the panel that also shows the status of the fresh water, grey water, and black water tanks. Also, don't forget, sometimes more "bells and whistles" means "more to go wrong".

Fourth, was storage. My rig has fantastic overall storage. I have noticed that some of the newer rigs, although they look beautiful, have limited space for storing pantry items and cooking pots, plates, glasses, mugs, or limited drawers for eating and cooking utensils and the always handy “junk drawer”. Just something to take into consideration.

So, I was on a quest. I knew what I wanted and needed. I “Googled” the make and model and the years that I was interested in to narrow down my choices. I was usually directed to RV Trader. (To me Craigslist is very dubious.) Low and behold, I found exactly what I was looking for. When I called the owner, he was able to send me additional photos and information. One problem, I am in Colorado and it was in Chandler, Arizona. As it turns out, a friend of a friend lives there and he is very mechanical and handy. I was able to pay him to go over and look at it and give me a report. (There are people out there that you can hire that provide this service.) Anyway, he said that "it looked very good"! “Great! I’ll buy it!” I called my friend and on a “road trip” we went. (She drove my car back.) When I got back, I took my new camper to my mechanic as well as my RV shop to have a few “minor” things taken care of. My RV shop removed the “newer” refrigerator from my old camper and installed it in the new camper. I am very glad that I did that. I also removed the coffee maker to make room for more storage.
So, all in all, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Pleasure Way. No regrets!!!

So, what did I get???

I got a 2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD with 92,000 miles. I bought it 5 years ago and it now has almost 108,000 miles. I get about 14 MPG. Everything works! I paid less that $19,000. (Mind you, this was 5 years ago.) One of the previous owners had removed the icky carpet and installed wood floors which looked nice but I just had them replaced with NovaCore flooring which looks even nicer. I also just replaced the kitchen faucet and the microwave.

What is on my list of items that are important to me?

A good refrigerator. 2 burner stove, microwave. Fantastic Fan, air conditioner, generator, water heater, good storage, awning (which I actually do not use very much because I am usually camping at a windy place but I think it is good for resale). I also have a flat screen TV and DVD player. (If I am boondocking, I don’t miss the TV or movies. I just read more.)

I also attached a bicycle rack to the hitch on the back.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Oh, also no worries when I camp. I have always felt "safe".

I forgot to mention that the model that I got has twin beds with a night stand in the middle. I LOVE that configuration as I could set up one side as a full time bed and the other side as my living/dining/TV room.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like photos.

Nancy
2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD
Beautiful Colorado
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:24 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbraindogs View Post
This is what I posted on your last inquiry about looking for a Class B and safety. I guess you didn't see it. Here it is again...

I would like to share my experience buying a Class B Camper…

My husband and I always camped during the 40 years that we were together. He was an excellent mechanic and super handy. He could fix anything. Now, here I was a widow with a Hallmark pop-up camper on the back of a F250 Diesel truck. The camper was a pain to put up and take down. I was on my own and looking for a better option. I saw my friend’s Pleasure Way Class B and that was it! I was on a mission. No problem!!!

Things to consider:

First on the list for me was budget. The newer Class Bs are VERY expensive! They were totally out of my league and I have no problem with buying an older vehicle.

Second was mileage. By the way, an “older” vehicle with “low” miles is not necessarily a good thing.

Third, was bells and whistles. If you aren’t going to boondock very much, do you really need that fancy solar system? When I boondock for a period of time, I am very conscious of my battery usage and tend to use solar or battery powered lanterns. Also, all of my light fixures now have LED bulbs. I do have a generator so that I can use my microwave or Nespresso Espresso maker. I can monitor the house batteries on the panel that also shows the status of the fresh water, grey water, and black water tanks. Also, don't forget, sometimes more "bells and whistles" means "more to go wrong".

Fourth, was storage. My rig has fantastic overall storage. I have noticed that some of the newer rigs, although they look beautiful, have limited space for storing pantry items and cooking pots, plates, glasses, mugs, or limited drawers for eating and cooking utensils and the always handy “junk drawer”. Just something to take into consideration.

So, I was on a quest. I knew what I wanted and needed. I “Googled” the make and model and the years that I was interested in to narrow down my choices. I was usually directed to RV Trader. (To me Craigslist is very dubious.) Low and behold, I found exactly what I was looking for. When I called the owner, he was able to send me additional photos and information. One problem, I am in Colorado and it was in Chandler, Arizona. As it turns out, a friend of a friend lives there and he is very mechanical and handy. I was able to pay him to go over and look at it and give me a report. (There are people out there that you can hire that provide this service.) Anyway, he said that "it looked very good"! “Great! I’ll buy it!” I called my friend and on a “road trip” we went. (She drove my car back.) When I got back, I took my new camper to my mechanic as well as my RV shop to have a few “minor” things taken care of. My RV shop removed the “newer” refrigerator from my old camper and installed it in the new camper. I am very glad that I did that. I also removed the coffee maker to make room for more storage.
So, all in all, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Pleasure Way. No regrets!!!

So, what did I get???

I got a 2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD with 92,000 miles. I bought it 5 years ago and it now has almost 108,000 miles. I get about 14 MPG. Everything works! I paid less that $19,000. (Mind you, this was 5 years ago.) One of the previous owners had removed the icky carpet and installed wood floors which looked nice but I just had them replaced with NovaCore flooring which looks even nicer. I also just replaced the kitchen faucet and the microwave.

What is on my list of items that are important to me?

A good refrigerator. 2 burner stove, microwave. Fantastic Fan, air conditioner, generator, water heater, good storage, awning (which I actually do not use very much because I am usually camping at a windy place but I think it is good for resale). I also have a flat screen TV and DVD player. (If I am boondocking, I don’t miss the TV or movies. I just read more.)

I also attached a bicycle rack to the hitch on the back.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Oh, also no worries when I camp. I have always felt "safe".

I forgot to mention that the model that I got has twin beds with a night stand in the middle. I LOVE that configuration as I could set up one side as a full time bed and the other side as my living/dining/TV room.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like photos.

Nancy
2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD
Beautiful Colorado
Nancy,

What a great post!
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:02 AM   #25
Silver Member

Yes, agreed! Such great detail! Thank you Nancy!
Old 08-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #26

Nancy - thank you for such a great post. Our first rv was a 1989 Toyota Dolphin which we bought in 2007 with 65K miles on it. We used it for 5 years and had fun with it. Just like any other used car, one has to manage expectations. It had issues but we happily had it fixed. The initial investment was very low and we more than made up for it with the enjoyment that it brought to our family. In return we put money into it, refurbishing the interior and maintaining the engine. We sold it last year. Two weeks ago we bought our second rv - 1994 Coachmen on a Dodge B350 with 111K miles on it. Again we are very happy. Low initial investment and we already have the updates planned. We don't mind fixing stuff. The rv has its issues but nothing major. The transmission was overhauled 2 months ago courtesy of the previous owner.

If we did have enough cash, we will probably buy a new one. I just don't feel that great owing the bank 100K for something that depreciated so much. With a used rv, we can pay cash and only have to worry about insurance. Good luck on your quest!
dodgeCoachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Personally, I cannot imagine paying the price of a new B to find out up close what I really liked and didn't like. If you enter B World with a good previously owned well maintained unit you will know in a few trips what you ultimately want and don't want.

We have owned Class Cs and Bs for almost forty years now and started our B experiences converting a 1982 new Chevy 20 van ourselves. By about 2007, we knew what we wanted and still have it! If we hadn't tried (and loved) several rigs between 1982 and 2007, I don't think we would have ever found our "perfect for us" rig - our 2007 Roadtrek 210P with twin beds, more storage than most small Cs and easy to drive and service.

The prices on new Bs are crazy and are driven by lots of demand and extremely low interest rates. Talk about buying new at the top of the market, even if you have the dough, is something to really ponder IMO.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #28
Silver Member

Yes, Doneworking, the prices are crazy high right now on new B's! I saw a woman in a parking lot who showed me inside her brand new Thor Sequence 20K. It was gorgeous and I loved the floor plan! Then I got home and watched a YouTube about that model. Apparently, it is pretty cheaply made and the valves to empty the blank tank are located not within good reach of where the hose attaches. It was a deal breaker for the reviewer. Also, the cabinets are not positive locking. And a lot of other things I would not have noticed. I am leaning toward a high quality-well built used one like PW or RT. Even those are hard to find and overpriced right now, but it is what it is!
Old 08-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #29
Silver Member

Vee and Zeekie, I have been looking for the info on the guy that found my Roadtrek but no luck so far. It has been ten years and I did hear he may not be doing that anymore. I am in Mendocino County as is the guy that found my Roadtrek for me. He lived in Redwood Valley and I know it got hit hard with fires two years ago.
I will drive by his place and see if he still exists. I can't remember his name nor do I have a phone number.
Sorry, but will let you know if I find anything. We have lots of fires so may not get out and about for a while.
Bob
PS: I love the classic lines/look of the older Roadtreks and Pleasure Ways.
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote