Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Default Who DOESN'T 'FLOCK' when the WIND CHILL chills to the land of Armadillos

Anyone up The Challenge of living in their Class B / Van
In the Notorious Colder 4th Season of the Northern climes ...?

I've read and gotten the advice, Go South Young Man (yea .. young man, I wish), Fly like a snow bird, when the tundra like weather descends over the north. Drain your water tanks before you carpet America's highways with an explosion of last night's dinner ...

All great advice ....

I'm giving this living on the road my best shot (helped along by losing my
NYC rent stabilized apartment to the new breed of wealthy slumlords ransacking and uprooting long term tenant's lives. But enough of my tale of woe ...

My dilemma, I can fly south (naw .. drive south) but I have two elderly parents,
not in the best of health (87 and 83 years old - not living together) residing in the harsh climes of NJ winters. So I will be traveling here and there, but not too extended while God grants them their remaining days.

So from the great advice I have received in the forums: Be diligent! Drain the tanks and waterlines, flush with antifreeze and use public toilets when the weather runs afoul.

And I understand that sound advice. But I LOVE WINTER! I love the snow.
I used to go winter camping (well, I'm a New Yorker and it was Bear Mountain .. like being on the Mickey Mouse ski trail for beginning skiers).

I also know what its like to be frozen in your car (my first car was a 73 superbeetle for those who remember their fingers numbed, frozen to the steering wheel while VW's heat comes on like an afterthought.

I've heard what I shouldn't do ... or do at my own peril .. but I know there's got tobe some of you that don't lock the van up .... or drive down for warmth amongst the armadillos .... I'd like to hear your stories, thoughts, ideas. In NYC we're experiencing a heat wave over the last week ... 98 degrees .. as humid as being in an Ecuadorian rain forest ... so I know you're thawed out enough to tell your story.

A fellow Penquin

John Petrocelli
johnpetrocelli.com
countdevio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If you check the Youtube channel "A guy a girl and a campervan" you will see they lived in their van in Canada for somewhere around two years.

They have some winter advice for when the temp gets to -30ish
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 season, class b, snow bird, winterize