Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 11:59 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Who's better for insurance - Allstate or Progressive?

Their quotes are coming in about the same. My perspective is Allstate has a better reputation but would love to hear any experiences with either.

And state farm? This one is a little more costly but if it's worthwhile for claim integrity I'd be happy to go with it.

I've seen a lot of people on here who mention they have Progressive .
bumpersignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #2
Silver Member

I have state farm and they have always been great. I agree you see a lot of people going with progressive I've also seen people saying they have American Farm Bureau Federation
Old 10-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have Progressive for maybe 20 years? No issues at all.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I’ve been with State Farm for 37 years. They’ve given great claim service through many windshields and several not-at-fault accidents. When I’ve checked, their rates were competitive. However, I was surprised by a rather steep rate increase on the Roadtrek this month, at a time when all my other policies have decreased. It was mainly on the comprehensive portion. Wonder what’s up?
Old 10-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I always defer to J. D. Power and their insurance ratings. And my preference would be neither. I use Erie Insurance for auto, RV, and home.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
Gold Member

Has anyone had a total loss claim? This is probably what I'm most concerned about. I've been on the not-at-fault end of total loss collisionS (socal drivers suck) and often had to fight with providers (Mercury insurance and AAA) on the replacement value of my vehicle. I'm not in the delusional mindset that I think my vehicle is worth more than it really is. However, the "blue book" or in this case "nada" value doesn't cover the true cost of purchasing a replacement of the same year, mileage, trim, options.
bumpersignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Not on a RV, but on a personal vehicle. One of the large insurance companies the covered the insured who was at fault would only give us low book value on our car. Thinking that I should have let my insurance company represent me or got a lawyer. It is next to impossible to go against a large insurance company by ourselves!
Old 10-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Yes, I would have held out for a better settlement, and yes, I learned the hard way to involve my own insurance company from the start, even if the accident is not your fault. Lawyers may not want to get involved unless there is personal injury.

Another category of RV that tends to be significantly undervalued by NADA is molded fiberglass trailers. Based on conversations on that forum, one approach is an agreed value policy, where a higher valuation is established when the policy is written. Not all insurers will write one, and the premium will be higher.

The other approach is to collect comps from various classified sites at the time of loss to fight for a true market valuation. I know a number of owners of molded trailers have had success with the latter approach following a total loss. I don't know how well that would work with Class B's because dealer mark-ups seem to be all over the map. Most molded trailers are private party transactions and sell very quickly.

Seems to be some pandemic-related price-gouging happening in certain high demand RV types, including Class B's, which further muddies the waters right now.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Seems to be some pandemic-related price-gouging happening in certain high demand RV types, including Class B's, which further muddies the waters right now.
Maybe not all. Mapfre insurance kicked back a refund on our cars and RV due to Covid. The coach was parked anyway but we appreciated the refund.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Maybe not all. Mapfre insurance kicked back a refund on our cars and RV due to Covid. The coach was parked anyway but we appreciated the refund.
I meant price-gouging on selling prices, not on insurance premiums. The question was raised about whether insurers pay a fair current market value in the event of a total loss.

Of course a spike in selling prices will eventually show up in premiums if it lasts long enough and results in higher payouts. I was wondering if that has something to do with the premium hike on my Roadtrek.

The premiums on our daily drivers all got a COVID reduction.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
Bronze Member

AARP The Hartford
Monstermash74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Repairing RVs

I've had State Farm for decades. Only one claim, after a rock glanced off my windshield.

Then last year, I bought an RV with a salvage title from a dealer, with surprisingly little damage. Progressive totalled the vehicle, in spite of it having no damage to the cab or frame, just a four foot long scar down the passenger side where the RV entrance door is. The dealer bought it, slapped some diamond plate over the scar, and sold it to me. I have since replaced the RV door, because the repaired one didn't close quite right, and modified the diamond plate with a diamond plate door from a truck box, to access the DEF tank. It's a pretty clean repair to a vehicle that was "totalled."

So there are two take-aways here. Insurance companies don't like to repair RVs (or aluminum cars, like Teslas), because there's not a lot of repair shops that can handle them. RVs are also problematic to repair if they have to be returned to original condition, because of the effort it takes to take apart the interior. So replacing the side wall wasn't economical to the insurance company so they totalled it. It also had 100K on the odometer, which lowered the insurance value, but that's not much for a diesel.

With a little skill and cleverness, a vehicle can be made aesthetically pleasing again and returned to service. A good fiberglass repairman could have also done justice here.

So I got a good deal (about half price, compared to similar model used RVs), and the original owner got an insurance settlement from Progressive, and probably put this into a new RV.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #13
Silver Member

Check out Amica, too. They are top-rated by Consumer Reports for claims handling and price-competitive. I've been with them (auto, RV, home) since Geico refused to cover my ex after our divorce in 1979.
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Geico

What about Geico? Their prices are good and they appear to cover RV's.
Dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:53 AM   #15
Platinum Member

I have had Safeco for thirty years on our house and vehicles. For the Roadtrek, my agent recommended something called "declared value" whereby I established a price that I thought it was worth and the insurance in case of a total accident is that amount. That way, I could set what I can actually retail the RT for in this market that exists today. Now, I am sure if I had put some way out of the ballpark figure on the RT they would have rejected it. The premium was not that much more for the added peace of mind that I am insured for what the vehicle is worth to me and the market, not what some book or chart says it is worth.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
I always defer to J. D. Power and their insurance ratings. And my preference would be neither. I use Erie Insurance for auto, RV, and home.
Erie is a small insurance company only available in a small number of states
Gary Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpersignal View Post
Has anyone had a total loss claim? This is probably what I'm most concerned about. I've been on the not-at-fault end of total loss collisionS (socal drivers suck) and often had to fight with providers (Mercury insurance and AAA) on the replacement value of my vehicle. I'm not in the delusional mindset that I think my vehicle is worth more than it really is. However, the "blue book" or in this case "nada" value doesn't cover the true cost of purchasing a replacement of the same year, mileage, trim, options.
We sometimes suggest to our insurance customers when negotiating value in situations like yours, have the claims rep find one just like yours and offer to have them buy it for you as replacement. That is sometimes more difficult for class B's because there are not as many around as most car models. If you don't want the same vehicle, this is a bit more difficult to negotiate. The value is what you can buy one for., not necessarily what NADA or Bluebook says.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Rasmussen View Post
Erie is a small insurance company only available in a small number of states
https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/r...nce-companies/
Old 10-20-2020, 12:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Good Sam is not an insurance company, it is an insurance agency that represents several insurance company including Foremost Insurance
Old 10-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegoldfield View Post
Check out Amica, too. They are top-rated by Consumer Reports for claims handling and price-competitive. I've been with them (auto, RV, home) since Geico refused to cover my ex after our divorce in 1979.
I have Amica on my cars, home and an excess liability policy. However, when I tried to insure my Class B Coachmen Galleria, they fumbled and fretted before they came back with a yearly premium 2X what Progressive with more extensive coverage quoted.

Obviously, the Galleria is insured by Progressive; but everything else is still with Amica.

Sadly, Amica is not the same company that it used to be when you had to get a referral to obtain coverage with them. Now they will sell insurance to almost anyone and continually push annuities, which are a lousy investment for most people but a big profit maker for the seller. Also, their yearly profit sharing dividend, which used to be significant, has gone in the toilet.