Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #1

Default Who's towing a toad or small utility trailer

Who's towing a small toad or a small utility trailer? Thinking about it for longer trips(2-3months). Seeing people being able to move freely about when we stay somewhere for a few weeks at a time gets us jealous. Plus we could take kayaks, bicycles or a scooter in a trailer. My wife or I could also go our own way occasionally. We have a Ranger RT on the 3500 chassis which has plenty of towing capacity.

One of these smaller chevy sonics or sparks who pull wonderfully and are a heck of a lot cheaper than a different rig, plus we love our RT especially for short weekenders around home.

Thoughts or experiences?
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Who's towing a toad or small utility trailer

A friend of mine has a Roadtrek 190 Popular. When on the road or just out for a weekend, he just takes the RT and the trailer stays behind his fence. When heading to New Mexico on a long sabbatical where more capacity for gear is needed, the trailer goes with the van. As an added bonus, it is useful for marking a site when boondocking (although make sure to do basic security.) It is especially helpful with a place for a waste tote tank, so one isn't limited by black water, and five gallon water jugs make it fairly easy to keep at least the winter tank full (RT 190s have two fresh water tanks) if camping in cold weather. For storing bicycles, scooters, and other stuff, a trailer provides secure space for that. Plus, when not using the trailer, it can double as enclosed long term storage. Only caveat: Get a trailer with the ability to use hockey puck locks on the doors, and use a security chain for the wheels. That way, the trailer stays put, and stays unopened unless it is by you or your wife.

I have mentioned this in other posts, but eventually, I plan to expand on his enclosed cargo trailer, and add solar, a permanent fresh water tank with a 12 volt pump, and other items.

No clue on a toad on my part. One reason I like a "B" is that one really doesn't need a toad unless both people want their own vehicles. Of course, one can have a small car in an enclosed trailer, which provides the best of both worlds, but weight limits do come into play.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Gold Member

I see you live in WI.... if i were you i would take a trip and visit FiberTech Services in Abrams. They have some absolutely beautiful full-molded fiberglass utility trailers that would tow wonderfully behind your rig. We researched them during our hunt for a small fiberglass trailer to tow behind our van. They have sizes from 12ft up to custom 45 footers!

Here is a link to their website:
FiberTech Services

Here is a quick photo of their Standard 12’ with 2.5’ v nose:

Standard Specifications:

Trailer Weight: 900 lbs
Axle Type: Torsion
Number of Axles: 1
Electric Brakes: Optional
Jack: Standard
Deck Thickness:¾”
Bed Width: 79”
GVWR: 2900#
Tire Size: St205/75R14
Loading Type: Ramp/Door
Rear Door: Ramp
Coupler Type: 2” Ball Coupler

Also, as a heads up the owner will upfit the interior anyway you wish. Want a window? Or bath/shower? doable...just ask

Cheers,
Thom
Old 01-24-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for that link.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #5

Thank you for the link! That's only 20 minutes from me, cool!!
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
Gold Member

That's great, i'm happy to help w/the info.
Keep us updated and if you do visit them and feel like sharing your thoughts on the operation that'd be great too.

Cheers,
Thom
Old 01-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Bronze Member

We tow a 2007 Mini Cooper S behind our 2012 ERA (Sprinter). We do this when we go south for the winter since we typically are gone for up to 5 months and stay in one place for 4-5 weeks at a time. On shorter weekly/daily trip we do not tow anything and use the ERA as a daily driver. As the saying goes--" it works for us"!