Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #41
BBQ
Platinum Member

I am waiting for the cassette toilet RVs to flood the market.

I am not saying it is bad,
it is just my gut feeling.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I am waiting for the cassette toilet RVs to flood the market.

I am not saying it is bad,
it is just my gut feeling.
Your gut feeling could indeed be very telling, it is only the second brain but it is closer to the subject matter. Time will tell.
https://www.amazon.com/Gut-Our-Secon.../dp/B01GKTCP4I

Cheers,
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:22 AM   #43
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Your gut feeling could indeed be very telling, it is only the second brain but it is closer to the subject matter. Time will tell.
https://www.amazon.com/Gut-Our-Secon.../dp/B01GKTCP4I

Cheers,
Sorry... I don't need to dis the cassette toilet.

What I am saying is, there will be people who bought those Aktiv because of the nice interior, but did not think through whether a cassette toilet is suitable for their lifestyle.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 AM   #44

I bought the one in Orlando ☺️
weather command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #45
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Sorry... I don't need to dis the cassette toilet.

What I am saying is, there will be people who bought those Aktiv because of the nice interior, but did not think through whether a cassette toilet is suitable for their lifestyle.
I think there are pros and cons to each crappy toxic waste removal system. As for me, I have never dumped a black tank and the thought of it seems more gross than emptying my cassette.

People will just use whatever system is on their RV. Like gas or electric cooktops.

Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I think there are pros and cons to each crappy toxic waste removal system. As for me, I have never dumped a black tank and the thought of it seems more gross than emptying my cassette.

People will just use whatever system is on their RV. Like gas or electric cooktops.

Jon
If you had ever dumped a black tank with a macerator, you probably would change your mind. Quick, clean, does the grey also, no lugging stuff around. Reliability is really the only downside, and many of us, and the Zion, have that covered with a backup system.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #47
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If you had ever dumped a black tank with a macerator, you probably would change your mind. Quick, clean, does the grey also, no lugging stuff around. Reliability is really the only downside, and many of us, and the Zion, have that covered with a backup system.
The first house I built was down hill from the sewer connection so I got a grinder pump system. Everyone said they worked fine......until the power goes out, or grease clogs the float system, or a pump goes out. I had all three problems happen in a span of 6 years so I swore that I'll always have a gravity sewer system. I'll bet macerators are fine when they work but I seem to have worst luck than Murphy and I haven't had my cassette fail.....Yet.

Jon
Old 11-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #48
Platinum Member

That is exactly why we have the gravity backup system in ours!
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #49
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is exactly why we have the gravity backup system in ours!
Yea, I'm sure the macerator systems are the best...I'm just doing my best to hide my jealousy. Actually they would be the best.

Jon
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #50
Site Team

I have had macerators with gravity backups in both of my rigs. In almost 18 years, I have never used the backups.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #51

IMO cassette toilets seem like going backwards in technology. Who wants to do the walk of shame dragging 5 gallons of poo and then get up close and personal with it? I'd rather live with the inconvenience of finding a dump station every few days, and then pulling a few slice valves and let gravity do the rest. Mostly out of sight and out of mind. If there were no dump stations around, then that would be a different conclusion.
sharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharter View Post
IMO cassette toilets seem like going backwards in technology. Who wants to do the walk of shame dragging 5 gallons of poo and then get up close and personal with it? I'd rather live with the inconvenience of finding a dump station every few days, and then pulling a few slice valves and let gravity do the rest. Mostly out of sight and out of mind. If there were no dump stations around, then that would be a different conclusion.
If you really want the newest technology this techology could be on your list of options - Next-gen toilets that could change the world | ZDNet
Old 11-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #53
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
If you really want the newest technology this techology could be on your list of options - Next-gen toilets that could change the world | ZDNet
I'm adding the first place toilet to my RV bucket list. "More beer Scotty. I have to add more pee to the fuel cell to charge the batteries".
Old 11-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #54
Bronze Member

Red face Black tanks VS toilet cassette.

Gosh fellows, no-one is more squeamish about the dump than me. When I first heard of RVs years ago, I thought I would never have one.

When I finally did get a tiny pop-top, it had a full bathroom and 2 holding tanks (grey & black). To my surprise, dumping was easy, painless, and odor free. Naturally I always added a half-pint of blue liquid deodorizer before a trip began. To dump I put on dish washing gloves as a precaution then hooked up one end of a fat hose to my RV outlet and the other to the dump site. I pulled the black slide valve and -- whoosh -- everything in the black tank quickly drained out. Then I pulled the grey slide and --whoosh-- the grey tank drained out, cleaning my dump hose in the process. I never bothered to rinse anything because that wasn't needed. My precautionary gloves never even got wet.

The only odor I ever noticed while dumping was a slight whiff of a clean portapotty. I presume that was the formaldehyde. Nothing to see. Nothing to smell. Even my gloves stayed clean and dry. My marine toilet always worked perfectly - no odor from there either.

This basic system of grey & black tank connected to one outlet works so well I always look for that on any RV I might buy. The concept of a cassette toilet was so repugnant I told my wife I wouldn't buy a Hymer Aktiv. Too bad, since otherwise it is a fine design. She liked the Aktiv enough to offer to always take the "walk of shame" in my place. "The Fit RV" folks (James & Stef) have a video detailing their experience with a cassette toilet (link follows).
They were appalled by the stench. And that was with the manufacturer's deodorizer added. {That detail through a [more] link on their video page}.

I'm hoping some disgusted Aktiv owner sells me theirs cheap and I convert it to a black holding tank (wishful thinking).

My RV of choice (a Hymer Axion) has only one holding tank - a combined grey and black. What's more, it dumps not by gravity but with a pump through a small-ish hose. I don't know how well that system will function.

DougB (still squeamish)
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbaty View Post
My RV of choice (a Hymer Axion) has only one holding tank - a combined grey and black. What's more, it dumps not by gravity but with a pump through a small-ish hose. I don't know how well that system will function.
I think you will find that it will function very well indeed. That is the setup we had on our old Interstate. IMO it is ideal. Fully sealed, only one tank to worry about, always plenty of liquid during the dump, and no need for chemicals. Properly set up, permanenely-intalled macerators are da bomb. I do believe that a gravity backup is worth the tiny extra cost, and have had them in both of our vans. Never used them, though.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #56
Platinum Member

The FitRV video was not the typical cassette through the exterior wall most RVs use. They drug the toilet through their RV just like their composting toilet and they didn't dispose in a dump station. I think they were over compensating to justify their choice of a composting toilet in the first place, but if you watched their three videos, two on their composting toilet and the one on the cassette toilet you scratch your head why they chose either over a black tank and macerator or even a gravity slinky.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #57
Platinum Member

It is best to digest a subject by looking at it from multiple perspectives to give some credence to the judgment. I put this table together so folks can digest and make a diligent decision on their own. We can add lines, columns and color the boxes very differently and this process should add to judgment objectivity. Very often we pick one line as a critical one and decide, for me that line was to have a perfectly clean van in the garage after every short trip so I picked cassette.

My personal experience with macerator pumps is not good, 2 failures on boats and 1 in RV. In RV it was easy, just use gravity (this was primary route anyway) but on boats gravity is not an option.

The FITRV video is clearly biased, they use porta potty and called it the cassette, it was not. This one video puts any other of their reviews in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Different holding systems.jpg (126.7 KB, 30 views)