Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 04:19 AM   #1

Default Why are people selling their Class B?

I'm doing my research into Sprinter, Transit, Promaster, etc., class B RVs and I wonder what moves people to sell? I see a lot of used Class B RVs--Winnebago, Pleasure-Way, Airstream, for example, with much less than 20,000 miles, and many are even less than 10,000 miles. Which makes me think that people find them inadequate and are moving on to some other RV. Or maybe they are just done RVing.

What are your thoughts? What is your experience?? Thanks!
Peter Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Silver Member

I think it is true of all RVs that people buy them and decide that they dont like the particular rig or decide to change to another type. THen some of those B van owners could be getting another B van. THere are several Travato owners that are on their third rig already.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

First of all, more people and younger people are buying all kinds of RVs. The low interest rates and long maturity loans that are available today are fueling much of this purchase activity.

Not that many years ago, there were only a handful of B models available. Now, every manufacturer is getting into the act. Bs are not for everyone. I suspect many find them just too small for their needs. Since Bs sell for relatively high prices compared to Cs and even many Bs (not to mention travel trailers), people can trade them in and walk away with something of much lower quality but shiny and new.

The consumer mentality of buy, try and then move on that exists today is significantly different than the overall buy, keep and just live with philosophy that most of us "Seniors" have always followed. It is a through away economy. Buy, try, move on to the next thing seems to prevail everywhere.

I really don't think the trend we are talking about is really more significant in B World than with a C, an A or a trailer.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think it's numerous small reasons all working together to produce the observed result.

Among Airstream Class B owners, I've seen some people with an urge to stay within warranty. They don't want to deal with repairs out of warranty, and they have the money, so they trade up frequently.

Among the retiree set, some people simply get bored and want to try another option. Again, they can afford it.

Some people get too old (they feel) to continue with the lifestyle.

New grandchildren come into the world, and suddenly the Class B is too small.

Etc.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

And we get hurt, handicapped, sick and die......

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

A particular Class B recently came on the market at such a good value that, on another forum, people were asking if it was too good to be true.

Turned out that it was being sold by someone whose spouse had passed away. The remaining spouse did not wish to travel alone.

A week after that one was discussed, I met a different Class B owner in the same situation, who was also in the process of selling.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard. I guess I am a prime example; I had an '05 RT190, but in '12 due to family situations I sold it. Then in '15 the situation changed and I bought another RT. We don't camp very much now, but having it as a daily driver, with the amenities offered - priceless! I had a friend who bought a decked out Sprinter....4 months later downgraded to a trailer. Just being able to pull into any shopping center or store is a big deal, not worrying where I will stop when traveling - can't do that with the bigger rigs; but all of us have our reasons. Read over some of the discussions on the various Models - it should give you some insight on what is working, problematic, etc. Ron
Old 10-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
jon
Platinum Member

Perhaps I could find a good deal if only I could figure out the proper key word search: Obituaries.Archives.com
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There have been several sales on the Promaster forum of beloved self-builds after health issues.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:35 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Unhappy CA sales tax when buying an RV

Here in California the combined sales and personal property tax is so high, the first time you register your vehicle (new or used) the penalty is nearly 10%. Unfortunately, whenever you sell your RV you get NONE of that back.

So if you pay $100,000 for a new Hymer Aktiv, you must pay $10,000 in taxes. Total initial cost is therefore $110,000. If you sell a year later for $85,000, the new owner must pay $8,500 in taxes and you get none of it. Your total cost for the 1 year is $110K-$85K=$25K.

I have long thought that this practice of collecting sales tax over and over is an unconstitutional restraint of trade. I would like to see it challenged in court (may have been already). A fair approach would be a sales tax that is collected only the first time a vehicle is sold. Or a use tax that is collected annually. (I believe in Santa Clause too).

The reality is that at my ripe old ageI must plan on using my new campervan for the next decade to amortize the tax. I must use it even if I lose my eyesight, become disabled, or (heaven forbid) pass away.

I am therefore very s-l-o-w to buy a new campervan without a note from The Almighty that I won't be wasting my tax payment. It is easy to see why ClassB owners in CA are reluctant to sell their RV, even if they find the driver's seat (or some other aspect of the RV) doesn't suit them anymore because of life changes.
DougB
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The tax here is 15% .... That is probably why I don't see as many of the nearly new used units for sale here. You have to be fairly certain that your choice is the right one otherwise it will likely be a costly mistake.

$120,000 RV + 15% tax = $138,000

Could be a $30,000 to $50,000 hit to the wallet if sold when 1 or 2 years old.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Can you imagine the combined losses taken on just what is on ebay for Roadtreks right now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?scp=...pppn=r1&_rdc=1

Six units that are 2015 or newer and used, plus one semi used dealer show unit.

Sometimes I wonder if we all contribute to the quick bail out of some new class b owners. I know we tell everyone how much we like having a b sized camper, and how we wouldn't do anything else, but it obviously isn't for everyone. It could be possible that a lot of newly retired or others are jumping in before the really understand if the traveling style is right for them, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The B-class is a very different market today than it was in 2012/2013 when we were looking for a camper van. Options then were very limited, the B-class market is growing and with it there are consequently more vans on the used market. What is a little surprising is the number of practically new vans way within the warranty period.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Platinum Member

dougbaty and markopolo point out the interesting cost of taxes on vehicles. Looking at dougbaty in California, if you assume a $100,000 rig and assume it is sold for $80,000 in four years and then $60,000 in three years and then $50,000 in two more years the State of California would have collected $29,000 in taxes on a $100,000 rv.

markopolo in N.B. indicates taxes 50% higher than California so the same example would be $43,500 in taxes.

Folks, that is a large percentage when you compare the total taxes in ten years to the original cost of the rig. I think most of us just fail to really think about total cost. Taxes, insurance, annual tags and inspection fees really go a long way to adding up to a big sum.

Anyone that thinks an rv is an "investment" better think about a stock that goes from $100 to $80 in a few years.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
Anyone that thinks an rv is an "investment" better think about a stock that goes from $100 to $80 in a few years.

Paul
I view RV or any other fun stuff as an investment, not the monetary one, it is investment to your wellbeing. Money wise it sucks, but, it is helpful to live in no sale tax and low registration renewal fee in the occasionally sunny State Oregon.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
dougbaty and markopolo point out the interesting cost of taxes on vehicles. Looking at dougbaty in California, if you assume a $100,000 rig and assume it is sold for $80,000 in four years and then $60,000 in three years and then $50,000 in two more years the State of California would have collected $29,000 in taxes on a $100,000 rv.

markopolo in N.B. indicates taxes 50% higher than California so the same example would be $43,500 in taxes.

Folks, that is a large percentage when you compare the total taxes in ten years to the original cost of the rig. I think most of us just fail to really think about total cost. Taxes, insurance, annual tags and inspection fees really go a long way to adding up to a big sum.

Paul
Yeah, I can't make the numbers "pencil out". It is financially better to rent a small classC if you only take a few trips a year. Unfortunately, for those of us who like easy parking and serendipity travel, renting is cumbersome and even a small classC can be awkward in places. I find only one classB motorhomes for rent in Sacramento, and it is a 1999.
DougB
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
Platinum Member

You always see advice on RV Forums to rent before you buy, but we couldn't find any class B's to rent either. Fortunately, it has worked out for us.

We had a Class C years ago and hated it. What a rattletrap! And severely under-powered.

AFTER we bought our B, I found this site for Class B rentals. There are several available close to Sacramento:

RVshare.com

Class B's tend to rent for $200-$350/day, depending on age.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #18
Silver Member

I think a number of people had different expectations about RVing. Buying a smaller RV like the Class B meant being somehow freer than those with Class A's, perhaps..kind of the idea that Class B can go almost anyplace with a fairly small footprint. When they got there they found it was crowded and maybe other things..like noisy.
I think peoples expectations just are not living up to what it is like these days. Crowded.
We have met the babyboomers and they are us. Just one thought on the subject...
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #19
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swenson View Post
I think a number of people had different expectations about RVing. Buying a smaller RV like the Class B meant being somehow freer than those with Class A's, perhaps..kind of the idea that Class B can go almost anyplace with a fairly small footprint. When they got there they found it was crowded and maybe other things..like noisy.
I think peoples expectations just are not living up to what it is like these days. Crowded.
We have met the babyboomers and they are us. Just one thought on the subject...
HEY, Whoa Eric,

Are you saying that the go rving ads, commercials are Not like any reasonable person's "peoples expectations" are?

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #20
Silver Member

Well Bud...I don't watch may adds of that type, but you could be right.

All I am saying is that, in our case, we experienced just a lot of crowded RV parks and even State Parks this summer. In my case, being put in a slot in an RV park is just not my idea of getting away from it all. And then...I thought we could do some boondocking..but my partner ( I found out ) does not like to do that. So for me, I just feel trapped and am thinking of selling and taking a gigantic hit in $. Yes, we did do some trailering for a year before getting the Class B unit we have...must have had my eyes closed.
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote