Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hold on, pickup trucks are potential rv's.

Bud
But not Class Bs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #82
Platinum Member

Default Why are the major class-B manufactures so out of touch and behind in U.S. market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The total Class B sales in 2017 was 5249 units.

Is that right? There were 500k RVs made, which would mean class-Bs are %1. I think your number is off by 10X.

Do you have a link to the data? I saw it at the RVIA site a couple months ago but couldn’t find it just now.

If that number is right then I think the DIY class-b market is as big as the commercial one!
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
Is that right? There were 500k RVs made, which would mean class-Bs are %1. I think your number is off by 10X.

Do you have a link to the data? I saw it at the RVIA site a couple months ago but couldn’t find it just now.

If that number is right then I think the DIY class-b market is as big as the commercial one!
http://www.rvia.org/UniPop.cfm?v=2&OID=11557&CC=2016
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #84
BBQ
Platinum Member

Not all the RV are for recreational use.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #85
Platinum Member

Default Why are the major class-B manufactures so out of touch and behind in U.S. market?

Wow, towables are over %86 of the whole market. Just astounding. The motor home is seemingly on its way out.

Class Bs has the strongest growth, but from tiny numbers.
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #86
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
Wow, towables are over %86 of the whole market. Just astounding. The motor home is seemingly on its way out.
Nah. It's just that towables are more affordable than motorhomes. And a lot of folks already have a pickup or SUV that can pull a trailer, so they don't need a full blown vehicle. Motorhome sales are up vs 10 years ago, just not as much as towables went up. I'm not worried that they're going away.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #87
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Nah. It's just that you can get a lot more RV for the money with a towable than with a motorhome. And a lot of folks already have a pickup or SUV that can pull a trailer, so they don't need a full blown vehicle. Motorhome sales are up vs 10 years ago, just not as much as towables went up. I'm not worried that they're going away.
Same story in Australia, Motorhome useage is growing as new manufacturers and models appear.
In New Zealand it is roughly 40% Motorhomes ,as the Islands are not that suitable for Caravans(Travel Trailers)
In Europe it is closer to 50% as their lightweight Caravans are not taken far. Very different story for what is basically Class C Motorhomes
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #88
Platinum Member

I think some of the type Cs are getting smaller (sprinter based and shorter) so there's a bit more sales in that category. It's easier to park in a driveway and to maneuver around town. Not as good as our beloved Class Bs but definately better than a class A. Plus, beings smaller might make them a little more affordable.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #89
Platinum Member

Default Hymer Aktiv Makes Good Design Trade-Offs But ...

About 10 days ago I spend a bunch of time at a cool dealer in the SF Bay who carries Hymer. I was looking specifically at the Hymer Aktiv 1.0. The interior Design feels more contemporary and outdoorsy than most U.S. B Class offerings. Plus, the materials are lighter colored and matt finished versus pretty but fragile high gloss. However, as others have noted, the overall construction inside appears to be IKEA like quality. Not awful but not great either. Brand new coach and the laminates were already separating, noticeable gaps in various places, finish already peeling off fake metal cabinet door buttons, etc.

Continental spare is primary method to have a real spare but not sure we would want to wrestle with dropping it down every time we want to open the driver’s side rear door. Other attractive features include: reasonably sized electric [only] fridge, two burner gas cooktop, galley on proper side, coach windows double paned, significant storage under bed always available as bed is raised up a bit, four can sit up front albeit bench seat would be very “cozy”, at least one bike (probably two) can go inside if bed is up. Bed is 72.5” long and 55.5” wide – a tad narrow but manageable for two – but is has a very thick and nice “real” mattress. Bath seemed to be just barely large enough to be usable and includes a fold-up sink. Fresh and Grey Water tank capacities, for a B, are generous but toilet is a cassette - for good or bad. Option for 250 Watt solar. I can see why the Russos choose one of these to live in, it seems to make tradeoffs in the right places and has room for a reasonably sized dog. The main failings for me are the quality I observed and more importantly no 4X4 option.

As I mentioned in my opening comments on this thread, the Hymer Grand Canyon in Europe is a very similar layout to the Aktiv but is built on the Sprinter chassis and can be optioned as a 4X4. Baffling why that build is not available here. I wish Hymer North America would explain that and let us know what their intentions are for the U.S. market.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #90
Platinum Member

europe is the size of New England
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #91
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
europe is the size of New England
f.y.i. - areas of EU/New England = 24
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #92
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post

Continental spare is primary method to have a real spare but not sure we would want to wrestle with dropping it down every time we want to open the driver’s side rear door. ....

The spare tire mount is spring-loaded.
All you need is two fingers to lift it.

True, you still have to drop it; it is not as convenient as a swing mount. You don't have to wrestle it.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #93
Platinum Member

Good to know and interesting. The salesperson seemed like they were struggling a bit raising and lowering the spare with the unit I looked at but now I assume they were just moving slowly to be cautious and careful. Thanks for the info, helpful for all.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:57 AM   #94
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
i'm old-i meant before the wall fell
Old 03-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #95
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
The spare tire mount is spring-loaded.
All you need is two fingers to lift it.

True, you still have to drop it; it is not as convenient as a swing mount. You don't have to wrestle it.
i have always worried about having a spare. then i realized at my age i wasn't going to change any tire or even try to.

If i ever go to alaska i might buy a spare for the travato i'm planning on buying and get a swing mount
Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 AM   #96
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
About 10 days ago I spend a bunch of time at a cool dealer in the SF Bay who carries Hymer. I was looking specifically at the Hymer Aktiv 1.0. The interior Design feels more contemporary and outdoorsy than most U.S. B Class offerings. Plus, the materials are lighter colored and matt finished versus pretty but fragile high gloss. However, as others have noted, the overall construction inside appears to be IKEA like quality. Not awful but not great either. Brand new coach and the laminates were already separating, noticeable gaps in various places, finish already peeling off fake metal cabinet door buttons, etc.

Continental spare is primary method to have a real spare but not sure we would want to wrestle with dropping it down every time we want to open the driver’s side rear door. Other attractive features include: reasonably sized electric [only] fridge, two burner gas cooktop, galley on proper side, coach windows double paned, significant storage under bed always available as bed is raised up a bit, four can sit up front albeit bench seat would be very “cozy”, at least one bike (probably two) can go inside if bed is up. Bed is 72.5” long and 55.5” wide – a tad narrow but manageable for two – but is has a very thick and nice “real” mattress. Bath seemed to be just barely large enough to be usable and includes a fold-up sink. Fresh and Grey Water tank capacities, for a B, are generous but toilet is a cassette - for good or bad. Option for 250 Watt solar. I can see why the Russos choose one of these to live in, it seems to make tradeoffs in the right places and has room for a reasonably sized dog. The main failings for me are the quality I observed and more importantly no 4X4 option.

As I mentioned in my opening comments on this thread, the Hymer Grand Canyon in Europe is a very similar layout to the Aktiv but is built on the Sprinter chassis and can be optioned as a 4X4. Baffling why that build is not available here. I wish Hymer North America would explain that and let us know what their intentions are for the U.S. market.
The Grand Canyon was on the Fiat Ducato originally and they recently added a Sprinter model. You would think that they would start introducing the Hymer Sprinter models at some point maybe after they get their act together on the Ducato/Promaster vans. Getting 4wd Sprinters seems to be a big issue at the moment with delays for that option.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #97
Platinum Member

Quote:
i'm old-i meant before the wall fell
Before the wall fell EU was about 14 times bigger than New England which area is about 1/3 of France.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #98
Platinum Member

Quote:
They manage to put in roughly 280-300,000 Semi Trucks per annum Gives you an idea how crowded it is when the US produced 269,000 Semis this year
Overall vehicle EU sales 17 million vs 17.6 million in the US
Difference is many European vehicles are sold Globally, not the case in the US
One reason you have the Europeans dominating Semi sales globally as they have a healthy EU market and their trucks can be found anywhere outside NA
Too add insult too injury they own most of the Asian and US heavy truck manufacturers
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #99
Platinum Member

Quote:
Before the wall fell EU was about 14 times bigger than New England which area is about 1/3 of France.
LOL- it sure seemed smaller when i was on my 14 day bus tour in the 80's. was in 9 countries

what do i know-i never actually looked it up
Old 03-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #100
Platinum Member

Quote:
LOL- it sure seemed smaller when i was on my 14 day bus tour in the 80's. was in 9 countries

what do i know-i never actually looked it up
Travelling high speed on German autobahns could change the perception of travel distances being seemingly short versus going 55mph in the New England state.

Tags
4x4, agile, grand canyon, revel, travato