Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Why are the major class-B manufactures so out of touch and behind in U.S. market?

Let me elaborate.
Where the heck is the 4X4 Class B van made to get to mountain bike trail heads and then allow two to be comfortable and recharge after a long ride. No rock crawling or serious off-roading but a van that can easily go down most fire roads and forest service roads. White Rim Trail capable in Utah or maybe exploring Alaska one day meaning it’s also four seasons.

The market demand for Class B’s is changing but with the exception of Winnebago (kudos to them) the current class B offerings would not look that out of place in the 1970’s. Sure, the interior colors have changed and most have options for solar and lithium batteries but the interiors look more like a grandmother’s small apartment than a 2018 Camper or Adventure Van. Explain why I want the inside of my van to be covered in laminated, fragile “fake” wood cabinet doors everywhere? For goodness sake there are even vans with areas covered with pile carpet. Really? At least most of the cabinets have locking mechanisms but none have modular storage solutions so stuff won’t move all around as you drive along. Hello, stuff wants to move, even fly, around once the interstate and RV park are in the rear view. Yeah, I know, I can buy a hundred baskets to put stuff in – flexible sure but ad hoc too.

As many have noted, some of the European vans have much better and more contemporary styling inside but they are missing much of the functionality we American’s do like – microwaves and TVs and beds big enough for two larger folks. Then there is the brilliant Hymercar Grand Canyon but we can’t get it here.

And how many major manufacturers make a short wheelbase (144”) 4X4 class B for the U.S. market? Two. Roadtrek, offers one yet they combine it with wall to wall cabinets, galley on the driver’s side, and mixed quality. How do two couples hang out in an Agile, jam three across the back Sofa? Come on, at least make the wardrobe a delete option. The Ascent is a much better design (still too grandma like) but much more open and usable, plus higher quality. Alas, no 4X4 option.

The Revel is cool. A little surprising coming from Winnebago but totally the right direction. I can see hard core adventure types gobbling theses up and I guess they are. Insane long wait to get one and not going to be much in the way of discounts until supply catches up with demand. The target for the Revel is hardcore adventure types and that make sense but I wonder how many Millennials or Gen X’ers have that kind of disposable income outside of the lucky ones coding for a living? Boomers would probably like an option to actually cook in the kitchen, store a few things, and maybe a way to keep Fido cool if he needs to hang out in the van. Plus, if I have to take the bikes out of the “garage” to put the bed down where do the bikes go – on a bike rack – OK but then what’s all that space for - the portable propane stove and microwave to be able to cook (only half kidding)? Just hoping Winnebago adds some more options in the 2020 version.

If I was king for a day I’d start out with Pleasure Way’s basic layout which seems to make the right compromises, galley side kitchen, usable sized bath, comfortable seating for four in back. Add 4X4 with capable tires and wheels. Add Roadtrek’s solar and lithium batteries and “VoltStart” system with under hood generator. Add Revel’s cool rack and ladder system on top expect with rollers so there is a way to actually easily load and unload a kayak or SUP. Critically, add Revel’s or Sportsmobile’s insulation and winter proofing designs/builds for all season use.

How about an interior that is more dirt, dog, and adventure resistant than grandma’s place? More metal, real wood, and cool made-made materials. Make the interior more form follows function, a mini version of the Unicat or Unimog. Comfortable but tough and more life, adventure and dog proof. Somewhere between an Advanced RV and the Revel. Finally, since it seems just about everyone takes their bikes with them, how about building in an air compressor – I know, now I am just asking for too much.

Most frustrating is that Roadtreks’s parent company, Hymer, makes the brilliant Grand Canyon for the European market but we don’t get that unit here, we get our grandparent’s Agile. The Grand Canyon can be ordered with 4X4, includes double pane windows, some suggest it’s reasonabley winter ready, a usable two burner cooktop, a really great sized fridge AND a bathroom of usable size. Plus, once the bed is folded up, a place for a Kayak/SUP or a bike or two. When folded down there’s still room underneath for a dog. The only thing missing is a microwave and with all that’s included who cares. Why the hell can’t we get that model here. No one knows. Or least no one is saying. We need to sell our high margin Roadtreks, thank you anyway.

What’s crazy is that the custom adventure van companies (Sportsmobile, Outside Van, Advanced RV, etc.) have one to two year waits for their vehicles but majors keep cranking out the same ol’ stuff. That will work a few more years until most of the Boomers drive off into the sunset. Then what? I don’t think the U.S. government is going to bail out the RV van companies for lack of foresight and shoddy long-term planning. Somebody, and right now it looks like Winnebago, is going to figure this out and own it and make zillions in the process.

Unfortunately, I am a Boomer so not sure I can wait that long for the majors to get it together. I must either settle for something available now or order something custom and spend just crazy money. Neither is appealing.
Anybody have any good suggestions of thoughts regarding the best way to proceed? Wife, our big white dog and I would appreciate it.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, agile, grand canyon, revel, travato