Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
EJ2

Default Why is my exhaust fan running

Greetings all,
This morning while putting out the garbage, I noticed a whirring sound coming from the back side where the exhaust vents are. Upon inspection inside, I could tell the exhaust fan under the back right side bench is running. Why is this happening? It has drained my battery. How do I shut it off? It's a 1992 Dodge RoadTrek Independent 190. Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why is my exhaust fan running

don't know about 1992. do you have abattery disconnect switch? if you do turn it to off then no coach battery power will be going to coach devices.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sounds like it could be the furnace. The old thermostat in my van has two controls; one is for setting temperature and the other is an on/off switch.

Like Gerry says, if you have a battery disconnect switch then also shut it off when you are not using the coach.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
EJ2

I unhooked and removed the coach battery. But, I can't find any switch for furnace or battery disconnect switch. And, by accident, the two cables for the house battery touched and I had sparks. So, I'm guessing the motor battery must be sending charge signals through these. This is all new to me. If anyone knows about the 1992 or similar RoadTrek 190 Independent and knows where I can find these switches and how to turn them off, please advise.

I managed to use a small charger to get the car battery boosted enough to start the engine. I'm going to park it, remove the car battery and leave it till next season.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
EJ2

Just a follow-up. The RV is now stored for the winter, but I'm thinking about what to do next spring. I'm not sure about the purpose of the house battery. Usually, I try to camp where I can hook up to an electrical outlet. When I do camp without electricity, I'm not missing anything because, I do not use the furnace, onboard toilet, shower or hot water because I do not fill the water tanks. I keep it simple. So, I'm wondering whether I really need the house battery and all the connects that could drain the motor battery. I'm guessing that I need to secure and insulate all the wire leads that connect to various terminals on the house battery. Any thoughts on this would help. Thanks again.
Jim
Old 10-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

a 1992 vehicle probably( i said probably) has an old style 3-way fridge without a circuit board. I think the modern 3 -ways need 12 volt battery power for their controls to work-yours is old enough that that might not be necessary. other than that you probably get away with it.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Re: the sparks - were you plugged in at the time? Any chance that you have two coach batteries?

This post will give you an idea of what a typical typical charging setup looks like: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...&t=3165#p21102

An isolator or battery separator is needed to prevent the chassis battery from discharging when running coach lights, fan, furnace etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Your fan is probably the furnace fan, as the temperature drops, your thermostat is telling it to turn on, check at the bottom of your thermostat, there is usually a very small on/off switch, push it to the left, itwill turn off your furnace fan after a few minutes, hope this helps
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote