Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #101
Silver Member

Default I like absorbsion fridges

I have been seeing a lot about compressor style fridges and it seems this is as much of a "libtard trend" thing based on being all battery power as opposed to fossil fuels all based on the manmade global warming hoax.

I have had many RVs. Class b, c, a, trailers, and fifth wheels and I currently have a class b, a, and a fifth wheel.

I have always had great luck w absorbsion fridges and they will run on a few gallons of propane for.MONTHS. which is much less grief than trying to run 12 volts.
My fridge is cold and the freezer will freeze a half gallon of water in 5 hours.

It of course also runs on 12v or 110. Yes they are expensive but if you are ever off grid for any length of time, then a three way(propane) is the way to go for simplicity and security of your food.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #102
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
I have been seeing a lot about compressor style fridges and it seems this is as much of a "libtard trend" thing based on being all battery power as opposed to fossil fuels all based on the manmade global warming hoax.

I have had many RVs. Class b, c, a, trailers, and fifth wheels and I currently have a class b, a, and a fifth wheel.

I have always had great luck w absorbsion fridges and they will run on a few gallons of propane for.MONTHS. which is much less grief than trying to run 12 volts.
My fridge is cold and the freezer will freeze a half gallon of water in 5 hours.

It of course also runs on 12v or 110. Yes they are expensive but if you are ever off grid for any length of time, then a three way(propane) is the way to go for simplicity and security of your food.
I guess it's different strokes. I've lived with absorption fridges and now have an efficient compressor unit. I'll go back to an absorption fridge when Smith & Wesson makes a gun with a barrel big enough to force me to do it.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:54 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
I imagine you got rid of your refrigerator in your home being that it is probably an evil compressor type.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:49 PM   #104
Silver Member

There's nothing wrong w a compressor fridge. They work great. My point was that it's hard to beat a propane powered absorbsion style fridge when. U are off the grid as they will run forever on very little propane and obviously can also be run on 12v and 110.
To run a compressor type off grid becomes difficult(or expensive via coach engine or generator) quickly when boondocking.
Not to mention cooking and heating w propane is efficient as well.
I find that a lot of folks r trying to go all electric and solar because the "save the world" silliness.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
There's nothing wrong w a compressor fridge. They work great. My point was that it's hard to beat a propane powered absorbsion style fridge when. U are off the grid as they will run forever on very little propane and obviously can also be run on 12v and 110.
To run a compressor type off grid becomes difficult(or expensive via coach engine or generator) quickly when boondocking.
I find that a lot of folks r trying to go all electric and solar because the "save the world" silliness.
The choice for energy source is truly an individual need and either all electric or propane are good if they are matched with desires. My personal reason to choose electric compressor refrigerate was to eliminate any need for levelling. I had many LPG fridges, they work great but they need to be levelled to last. Having diesel van, I opt for water and space heating being based on diesel so I didn’t have to bend down to fuel an LPG tank.

I don’t think that political beliefs drive folks to pick one or another energy source for RV, so no reason to resort to flat Earth beliefs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #106
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

Why would you want to get propane refilled when you can get a carefree continuous running compressor fridge. Those libtards must know something you don't.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:16 AM   #107
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's the first I heard of that reason and I know probably more Class B RVers with all electric Class Bs than most people.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 AM   #108
Platinum Member

Quote:
You run in unusual circles. I've never met an RV owner who believed they were saving the world. But I've met many who enthusiastically embrace the idea of not making it any worse than it is. There is a difference.

The introduction of compressor fridges to RVs was delayed because they were pretty inefficient. That challenge was successfully met in the marine industry for passage making sailboats and that technology has gravitated to the RV industry. The current crop of compressor fridges are remarkably efficient.

That said, your point is taken that with small battery capacity and no solar, the use of a 3 way fridge is the better choice. But the clear trend in consumer demand is for higher battery capacity and solar support and if they are in place on an RV, IMO, the compressor fridge is clearly the better choice. They cool down much faster, they stay cool pretty much independent of outside temperature and are indifferent to pitch and of absolutely critical importance, they freeze ice cream rock hard. There is little doubt in my mind that in the future, propane will disappear entirely from RVs.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:29 AM   #109
Platinum Member

I echo the statements of many above. I never meant to generate any kind of political discussion with my query. One of the things that I like about this forum is that it is devoid from politics; just people who love RVing. That said my query was from the perspective of one, if you've read my posts on another thread, whose 20 year old Dometic 3-way appears to be biting the dust. Right now it's being tested by passing the thermostat. We'll see but I'm not optimistic. So it comes down to with a 1997 van that has one group 24 battery, do I replace it with another 3-way? The answer to that question lies partly in what it would cost to upgrade electrical to meet the needs of a compressor fridge. I know NOTHING about what it would take. Hence my reason for posing the question. It's an old B. I bought it from my father in law for $1 and invested c. $2500 in getting it in shape. It's been flawless and taken us c.10k miles of travel in 3 years. Has 55k on odo.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:14 AM   #110
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
So it comes down to with a 1997 van that has one group 24 battery, do I replace it with another 3-way? The answer to that question lies partly in what it would cost to upgrade electrical to meet the needs of a compressor fridge. I know NOTHING about what it would take. Hence my reason for posing the question. It's an old B. I bought it from my father in law for $1 and invested c. $2500 in getting it in shape. It's been flawless and taken us c.10k miles of travel in 3 years. Has 55k on odo.
Current compressor fridges are pretty efficient but without more ah capacity than your 85ah battery will provide, I don't think it's a practical option. IMO you're better off either replacing (assuming a replacement is still available) or alternatively overhauling the fridge. There are shops that can do a complete rebuild of your dead soldier so it will operate like new. I think having a reliable fridge in an RV is well worth that investment.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #111
Silver Member

Gallenh,
If u plan on boondocking a lot, like say camping on the beach in South Padre island tx for free for 2 weeks, then u will want a 3 way fridge(cause the propane option), unless you want to spend a lot of money on solar panels/controllers/batteries and r ok with all the added weight and used up space as well as the large cost, and u will still risk being screwed if it's cloudy for a few days, hense why the propane option is better.
Now, if u only boondock for a day or 2 and can't afford the 3 way or the solar, then get an inverter at harbor freight and a small 110v chest freezer and a decent cooler. You can use the freezer as a freezer and as an ice maker and the cooler as your fridge w the ice that u make.
U can even add more styrofoam inside or outside the freezer(or just use shipping style foam coolers inside) to keep stuff frozen/cold for even longer when youre not driving w the inverter going.
As a retort to the "flatearther" jab at me; it is the global warming hoaxers that r the flatearthers of our day.
I mentioned the warming hoax because not only do I see many utube videos of people PROUDLY saying their reason for going electric is earth saving nonsense, but I meet these people on the road too, and I want people here and everywhere else to be informed with reality so that they can make practical decisions for themselves based on their actual needs.
KING HOAXER AL GORES jet that he uses to fly around and tell us that we should be forced by government to drive deathtrap electric priuses... Well his jet uses FIVE THOUSAND POUNDS of kerosean(jet fuel) just to get off the ground and about a half gallon PER SECOND to fly level, as well as jet engines dump raw fuel as well as exhaust !! So him and his hoax and fellow hoaxers can go f-ck themselves. global warming is a political scam of cultural marxists to gain more control over the sheep and nothing more. In fact, the good Dr Ron Paul just tweeted a HILLARIOUS cartoon demonstrating the evil of cultural Marxism just today if y'all haven't heard about it...as the libtards(cultural marxists) have already been melting down in tears about it all day !! Lol
Old 07-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #112
Silver Member

Oh, and the suggestion to have yours fixed is also a good idea. I think there is a place in Missouri w a good reputation that rebuilds the cooling units to better than new for a few hundred.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:32 AM   #113
Silver Member

Oh, and gallenh, I didn't mean my reply to insinuate that u made the flatearther comment to me. I realize that it wasn't u.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #114
BBQ
Platinum Member

What is wrong with the fridge?

Maybe all it needs is a burping? (google youtube video)

Maybe all it needs is a new burner? (>$100)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #115
Platinum Member

One of the big factors that I don't think has been mentioned on this thread is that propane fridges are sensitive to road jostling. Even the best propane fridge is not going to work well 10 or 12 hours into a drive. Not only that, we saw our tiny Dometic RM 2351 eat propane at amazing rates in high summer on the road under those conditions. Up to a gallon per day as it constantly ran full blast trying to keep up with conditions. Given that most of the smaller propane fridges are produced without integrated thermometers, I'm not sure how many users are aware of the extent of on-road degradation that does take place.

Now, if someone is instead driving 3 hours to a hunting shack or wherever and then sitting still for five days, I doubt this effect would be noticeable and the fridge would probably do just fine. But 10-12 hours of driving per day five days in a row? Those fridges were not designed to handle that. Truckfridge.com sells 18 models of various fridges and coolers for long-haul truckers. Not one of those products is propane powered and there's a reason for it. There'd be plenty of room in a sleeper to plumb propane if they had a compelling reason to do so. Instead, they struggle with their own DC supply issues.

I've had plenty of people tell me, "If you are driving 750 miles per day, day after day, then you're doing it wrong." They don't appreciate the fact that my husband and I are employed persons, not retired, and we can't fiddle-fart around on road trips. We have to get to and from destinations fast if we are to have any time left to enjoy them.

Depending on the destination, propane can be very scarce. We have been as much as a 500 mile round trip from the nearest propane filling station, which is one of the big reasons why we opted for a Vitrifrigo marine fridge.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #116
Platinum Member

Default InterBlog

Good comments. I read through some of your posts on your fridge dilemma and several things come to mind. It appears that the Dometic units that failed were RM 2351s, which either run on LP or 120v. My oldie is a 3 way and when we were driving, putting on miles, we had it running on 12v, not LP. This seemed to work: the alternator charge appeared to keep up and keep my miniscule 24 charged ok. I deduced from your comments that you upgraded your electrical. Out of curiosity.....and if you'd be so kind...can you tell me more specifically what you added to have the capability to run a compressor fridge? Thanks!
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #117
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
.... Out of curiosity.....and if you'd be so kind...can you tell me more specifically what you added to have the capability to run a compressor fridge? Thanks!
We spec'd a solar and electrical system to run my off-grid office (large computer, second monitor, peripherals), plus my husband was adamant that he wanted to be able to run the microwave oven off grid. It just so happened that those mods left us in the perfect position to also run an electric-only fridge. We've got 300 watts of solar, a 2,000 watt inverter, and 300 amp hours of lithium battery, plus the rest of the system updated to account for the lithium.

To date, I've managed to write two of four blog posts summarizing the retrofit - Part 1 here and Part 2 (AC system) here. And here's a general arrangement diagram. It was extremely important to us that we splice the system into existing void spaces in the van. We can't afford to lose any storage space. It was very time-consuming work to make all this stuff fit:

Old 07-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #118
Silver Member

In regards to the comments about over the road trucks: I am in the trucking industry. The laws for trucks don't allow for large canisters of propane(unless they are propane powered themselves) so it is impractical for trucks to run anything propane powered. This is why they run only 12v. In addition, a typical semi truck has 4 large batteries, a big alternator, and is never sitting for more than 8-12 hours, so it doesn't make sense to add propane or other heavy and bulky alternate fuel sources when they already have overkill on the 12v systems, and further, many states now require them to have alternate generator packs w it's own 12v alternator to run for heat or a/c while they are sleeping so they don't idle their 10-16 liter engines. The idea being to reduce smog(and it also saves money for the truck). All said, it's simply not practical to run propane on semi trucks, however, theoretically they could make a diesel powered absorbsion fridge, but 12v is cheaper and simpler.
I agree w the post that said it's better to run 12v while driving. It's possible for the propane pilot flame to blow out and it's also better to shut off ALL propane at the tank before driving if you don't intend on using it underway because in the event of an accident it is very easy to rupture one of the many propane lines(furnace, fridge, water heater) and then have a huge explosion risk as propane blasts out of the line filling the air space wherever the break is and any spark or flame can ignite it. The tank itself is thick strong steel for high pressure, the lines throughout the coach are not.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #119
Silver Member

Default @ interblog

Very nice setup and threads on it !!! How has it been working so far ?
Have y'all attempted any a/c use and if so how long will it operate ?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #120
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree w the post that said it's better to run 12v while driving. It's possible for the propane pilot flame to blow out and it's also better to shut off ALL propane at the tank before driving if you don't intend on using it underway because in the event of an accident it is very easy to rupture one of the many propane lines(furnace, fridge, water heater) and then have a huge explosion risk as propane blasts out of the line filling the air space wherever the break is and any spark or flame can ignite it. The tank itself is thick strong steel for high pressure, the lines throughout the coach are not.
The lines downstream of the regulator are relatively low pressure. The incidents of propane mishap of which I'm aware generally involve the fill line, not the distribution lines. And the lines that penetrate the living space are copper, not flex, so they are harder to break.

Propane lines are said by industry reps to have an expected working lifespan of 5 years. This is a long thread and I can't recall whether I posted this already, but here is a blog post describing how I replaced my lines, that having been prompted by several other forum users who developed bad leaks.

Tags
110v, inverter, refrigerator