Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default wind noise Chevy express 2004

I've got most of the squeaks and rattling while driving down the freeway eliminated, and am left with wind noise. It is not very loud, it sounds like the window is not quite all the way up. The gaskets and seals look fine. Anyone else have this same problem and resolved it?
Old 10-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauscs View Post
I've got most of the squeaks and rattling while driving down the freeway eliminated, and am left with wind noise. It is not very loud, it sounds like the window is not quite all the way up. The gaskets and seals look fine. Anyone else have this same problem and resolved it?

You may want to get a ride in another similar year Chevy to see if is different or not from what yours is. It is a commercial truck, basically, and I know ours isn't as quite as most cars are.

I have seen on that had a loud wind noise but the van had been hit on that corner of the from so there was a minor door misfit and old gasket was compressed for the door used to be. The owner put a short length of clothesline type rope under the seal and it get quite and sealed again. That is a trick that has been used for many years.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:26 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I'll give that a try, thanks!
Old 10-10-2021, 03:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

You could tape over the door to body join to see where the noise is eliminated and work from that.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Close the door on a sheet of paper to see if it can be easily withdrawn. That reveals an air leak/turbulence point.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Out of the blue on my recent trip, my driver's door ('2011 Express) latch got a bit out of alignment making the door a bit difficult to close fully. Sometimes this resulted in a door that was closed enough that no "Driver Door Open" message appeared, yet it wasn't fully closed since on these occasions I could hear more wind noise and work my fingers between the weatherstripping at the top of the door. This didn't happen when I forcefully slammed the door.

Bottom line is, I intend to dig out my torx socket and readjust the strike latch on the door frame. I need to move it slightly up so it lines up to the door. I will also experiment with moving it slightly inward for a tighter door seal.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Default Wind Noise In RV

Quote:
The RV has several vents to outside especially the huge refrigerator vent.
When I replaced my propane refrigerator with a compressor refrigerator immediately the wind noise went away.
I had covered the refrigerator exterior vent from inside and placed a sound board for insulation. The RV is now warmer in winter and cooler with air conditioning and wind noise is gone
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

IMO it’s normal. My 08 has wind noise. No biggie. Remember, as someone else mentioned, it’s a work van/cargo
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:15 AM   #9
Platinum Member

thanks again to all for the ideas!