Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Default Window Screens

Hey Folks! Long time no post. We've been out and about and just come back from 10 days in PEI where we were met with maybe THE worst fly infestation I've ever experienced. Pretty sure they were livestock flies or what we used to call 'face flies'. Anyway. They sure put our window screens to the test. And guess what? The SUCK!

We have a 1998 Leisure Travel with the aluminium integrated screens on the side doors but the (just about USELESS) pull up screens on the passenger side and back/bed windows; with nothing on the main back window.

I looked at our factory install ones and it seems relatively trivial to construct something similar for the remaining windows. Only I don't know what I'm looking for! Is there a company that sells the hardware? (aluminium track/screen) Or premades, maybe? Even a company name or a pointer in the right direction would be AWESOME!

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jword View Post
Pretty sure they were livestock flies or what we used to call 'face flies'. Anyway. They sure put our window screens to the test. And guess what? The SUCK!

Thanks!
When I think of livestock flies or "face flies" I think of large flies - like green heads and deer flies, which standard 20x20 mesh will easily stop.

How big (or small) were these flies that your screens did not help?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

Bob it was the lack of screens that was the problem as well as the inadequacy of the pull up ones. I'd like to make or purchase similar screens to our factory installed ones but can't seem to find any info about them. was hoping someone knew te company name or where I might find replacements.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Shan and I are in the process of making screens for our unscreened windows on our van.

possible we will get an ADCO 2500 series windshield cover ( $50 usd)- as the 2400 series we have is aging. this has roll down solid panel over the door windows with screening, the 2500 is not sold as 'insect proof, but 1 owner says it works well.

making a screen for the cargo door with a $5 as seen on tv self closing screen--- this thing is cheap and won;t last long- but for $5 it's a proof of concept and we can make something based on this experience

the other windows we are going with pieces of petticoat cloth ( fabric store) and magnets. ( most hardware store screening can damage paint)

none of these may be really effective against black fies/gnats/ noseeums, but that is not much of an issue in our climate and when we go North it will be later in the season. so mosquitoes, and flies are our enemies

costs so far are about $30- if the front side window screens we make don;t hold up, then add $50 for the adco cover.

there are ready-made products but no way on earth I'll buy the ones I've seen online for $50 a window!

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jword View Post
Bob it was the lack of screens that was the problem as well as the inadequacy of the pull up ones.
For your front doors, you might want to look at "Skreenz" slip over screens. We made ones similar, but out of no-see-um netting for our VW.

They also have screens for side and rear doors that might work
Old 08-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Our Skreenz work very well indeed. Price was worth it for us not-so-handy-with-a-needle types.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:23 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I have some "Skeeter Beater" screens, they are magnetic.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Our Skreenz work very well indeed. Price was worth it for us not-so-handy-with-a-needle types.
My next project is to make some Skreenz-type screens with seam tape instead of sewing. I'll let you know how it turns out.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Oops! I meant Skeeter Beater-type screens. Skreens look much more complicated.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote