Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33
Default Windshield wipers

Driving on freeway in bad rain storm and wipers quit. Old not see to pull off road and it being night could barely see any lines in the road. Finally came across someone who either does not like to drive at night or just the rain going 60 kms in a 100 km zone so followed for the hour hoping no one was going to plow into me.
Ok no knowledge of much mechanicL so - do I need a new wiper motor? And if so where in ontario can I find one 1992 ram 350 roadtrek - no model but 17'
Thanks for any help
Ann
sewright33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewright33 View Post
Driving on freeway in bad rain storm and wipers quit. Old not see to pull off road and it being night could barely see any lines in the road. Finally came across someone who either does not like to drive at night or just the rain going 60 kms in a 100 km zone so followed for the hour hoping no one was going to plow into me.
Ok no knowledge of much mechanicL so - do I need a new wiper motor? And if so where in ontario can I find one 1992 ram 350 roadtrek - no model but 17'
Thanks for any help
Ann
Wipers are almost always on an automatic resetting circuit breaker, so they should have come back on, and maybe gone off again after a while. If that didn't happen, the breaker would be suspect, if they do go on and off, it could be the breaker or the motor pulling too much power and both are common.

Mechanic should start with a new breaker to see if they run, if they haven't been when cool, and then check the amps the motor is taking. If it is just going on and and off, they would need to check the amps drawn to see which piece is the problem. If they see power to everything, either the motor, or the ground from the motor to the chassis.

There is also an outside chance water got into something and shorted it, to trip the breaker. If so, it will usually work again after a couple of days of dryout, unless there was salt in the water which could damage things.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

When you turn your wipers on, do you still hear the motor running? You will need to be outside the van and listening to the vents right below the wipers.

If no, check fuses and breakers. You can find them listed in your owners manual. If fuses and breakers are good then check for power. If you have power then the motor is bad, if there is no power then you blew a fusible link.

If yes, then I just had this issue. It's a pain in the butt and can be done at home, but if you're not comfortable taking things apart then go see a mechanic.

Cost? Approx $2.00 if you do it yourself. Probably in the $150 range for a mechanic.

Under the cowl (the part directly below the windshield) is where the wiper armature is located. The wipers are connected to the armature which in turn connects to the motor. The armature and the motor are connected by a plastic bushing. This bushing wears out and suddenly the wipers stop moving but the motor still runs.

This video shows you how to do it. Yes it says for a Dodge Dakota but is the same thing for Dodge Ram trucks and Ram vans.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33

Thanks so much will do first thing in morning.
Ann
Old 02-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Gold Member

And it probably goes without saying, but if you need a mechanic, don't look for a RoadTrek dealer. Just find a Chrysler/Dodge dealer, or even Canadian Tire.
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member

No motor noise at all from the wipers and no diagram of the fuse box in glove compartment
Ann
Old 02-08-2016, 01:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewright33 View Post
No motor noise at all from the wipers and no diagram of the fuse box in glove compartment
Ann
As I mentioned in my first post, wipers are usually on a circuit breaker that resets automatically, so there will be no fuse. The breaker can be in the fuse box, in the switch, under the dash, or even in the motor itself.

You will need to start checking for voltage to things at this point, I think, and if you don't have a meter and know how to use it, you will have to go see the mechanic.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:05 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I just did a bit of looking, although finding good information on a 1992 is kind of tough sometimes. I couldn't find any wiring diagrams that you didn't have to pay for. Maybe somebody has a manual from that era that has a wiring diagram, as they are likely very close to the same.

I couldn't find any references to a standalone breaker, so it would probably be built in to something else.

What I did find is that there is a part called "intermittent wiper relay". Information was conflicting about the symptoms it would give. Some said totally no wipers, others said they would run on high or low, but not in between. No detailed information on where it would be, but other models have it mounted in the harness under the dash in a plug in socket.

The relay is over $50 so not a replace to check part, and motor $200, so it will need to be troubleshot before buying anything
Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #9
Platinum Member

next time just PULL OVER.

if you cannot see you are hazard to other drivers.

in 1986 I saw a station wagon without lights going slow on the 401 near London...I watched a big truck approach from behind and roll over top of the car.

I suppose that driver couldn;t see a spot to pull over either.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote