Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago 4x4 Concept Vehicle

This was displayed on The Fit RV:

For me, the good:

Shorter chassis.
Able to go offroad decently.
No TVs.
Decent bed. WGO uses fiberglass bump-outs to allow sleeping transversely.
Plenty of storage space.
The fold out dining table seems to be decent.
The cassette toilet (which is both a pro and a con) is a decent European model which rotates out of the way for a shower.)
The ladder storage is nifty.

The cons:

They are likely to go with an A/C as an option, and assume someone uses a Honda generator to power it, like some Sportsmobile models. As the rig is displayed, if I lived in a dry climate or something more northern, it would be just fine. For a hot, humid climate... no go.

No real 120 volt electric system other than adapters to charge USB devices from the 12 volt system. There is an inverter for the induction stovetop for brief, high amperage loads of 5-10 minutes to cook stuff on a single burner. The Truma heating system is used, so I am pretty sure the rig has propane... but having even a single burner, or a SMEV/Dometic sink/burner that used LP gas would be more useful than the induction stovetop, especially in a rig where electricity is so precious (just solar, no generator or high-amp alternator.) I just question the design decision to go with an induction stove, as opposed to a common LP gas range.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member

There are some ideas in this concept that will surely show up in other models. I don't have much hope for seeing this as a production model though. Market is extremely small. The rack system is definately going to be on the new Transit model and probably on the Promasters. The flooring material is also probably going to be used as the Beaufloor vinyl is reportedly problematic.

Will cassettes be in other models? Will "no A/C" become a thing?

Some people have said they want a more bare-bones model for less money. Not sure if this would be it (I'd expect price over $100k), but this would be a cool way to do it.

Now if their goal was to wipe out a company like Sportsmobile or Outdoor Van, this might be a good way to do it. Surely it would be much, much cheaper.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Re 4x4 RV

Roadtrek has delivered a few 4x4 Sprinters on customer special order.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Roadtrek has delivered a few 4x4 Sprinters on customer special order.

WGO has delivered some 4x4 Eras too, yet it must be so few as I've not seen one in the wild. They had one at Hershey last year - don't remember if it was an XL or regular length. Definately it was not a short wheelbase like this concept van.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

On the Winnebago, that bubble at the back is good. It does not look awkward at all.

One RV builder did the same thing years ago (I forgotten which, maybe Airstream?), but that one looked terrible.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

This appears to be an Airstream Interstate 4x4.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 08-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Looks like a pretty good setup with not much stuff reducing ground clearance like you would find on the typical Sprinter 4x4 from Roadtrek or on the ERA. Only thing I wonder about is the induction cooktop, if you have propane for the Truma why use an induction cooktop?

If they do something close to this I think it would compete pretty well with Hymer designs and Hymer has no 4x4 coming anytime soon to the US so they have a good differentiation. As noted, is there a large enough market for Winnebago to produce it??

Who will be the first to do a 4x4 Promaster Class B over here??
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I'd not hold out any hope for a 4x4 Promaster. At least not this generation of the US spec van.

Most people could get my with a small lift kit and some aggressive tires. So far I've come up empty looking for a 3" lift kit.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Personally I think it's great that a mainstream manufacturer is creating a short Sprinter to compete with Outside van type setups. Watching the Fitrv video the walk through spoke to how my wife and I would use a B van... Small for use as daily driver and fit in a regular spot. Inside easy to clean after muddy fishing and hiking. Ram mounts with USB throughout the van were perfect (we don't use TV). Finally a small bathroom with swing away toilet and NO sink so I can take a quick shower before work after fly fishing or a morning hike. Yay to no generator.

I wish it could be propane free but if not then I agree with above that propane cooktop (even single burner to fit the space) would be better. I live in the North East so I would go with the AC option and only use when plugged in. One thing it needs Is a screen side door like the Travatos and a rear screen.

The ultimate would be underhood generator, diesel heat/h2o but that would be a lot more expensive and not totally required for my use.

After several B Sprinter rentals this year this van ticks all the boxes for how my wife and I would use a van. I am probably more on the DIY end of layouts and features but I don't have the time or skills to build one. Also, the small custom shops (VS, OSV, etc) are expensive and on the West coast. Being able to buy one of these from a Winnie dealer with a warranty would be awesome. If I could get one for $90k or less after dealer discount I would buy one.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
...After several B Sprinter rentals this year this van ticks all the boxes for how my wife and I would use a van...
If you're interested in the 4x4 Adventure Concept van make sure you fill out the prospective customer survey Winnebago created to assess customer interest and determine which features should be included in a production unit:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/winne...venturevehicle

Definitely agree with you about liking the compact but functional bathroom, avoiding TVs and built in (ie. quickly outdated) electronics in favor of portable electronic mounts, and the benefits of a rugged and easily cleaned interior. Also agree that since propane is already available for the Truma Combi why not just include a propane cooktop and avoid the extra expense and complexity of a big inverter and battery pack just for the induction cooktop? Still overall a very functional design!

It's exciting to see a major manufacturer break the traditional American RV mold to build an outdoor adventure oriented Class B. I'll be very interested in seeing what finally comes out of this.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:32 AM   #12
Platinum Member

What I've wondered about (and this is pure blue-sky here) is something like a 2500 series Sprinter as a base, but going a different tack:

1: The A/C sized to run from a Honda eu2000i generator, and a place to secure the generator and allow it to run on one of the doors. Perhaps an enclosed box with proper ventilation holes.

2: More diesel appliances. Truma has a version of the Combi furnace/water heater in Europe that runs from diesel fuel. There are also diesel stoves. By doing this, there wouldn't be need for LP gas.

3: The option to locate a Powertech 3000 watt diesel generator underneath, with a skid wheel on the tow hitch. This is what Sportsmobile does, and it has proven itself, as the generator is above the axle, and well out of the angle of departure. Of course, it may affect 4x4 capability, but it might be a decent compromise.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:41 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I did fill out the survey. Also found a good article with some details. 35 gallon water tank and MSRP 100-110k. If the dealer discounts are similar to other Winnebagos this would be a good deal IMO for a nicely fitted 4x4 Sprinter.

Btw, the article shows a small water hose at the sliding door... I would have loved this last weekend after coming back from a hike in the rain to wash off boots and such before getting in the van. A shower at the rear is ok too but for me a side hose at the van entry makes more sense. WInnebago must be reading my mind.

Winnebago's Concept Adventure Vehicle is ready to rough it
Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Remember the target market for this is hiking and bicycling enthusiasts. Not built as an expedition class motor home. You are looking at weekend warriors at best.

For those folks, having enough battery to get thru a weekend is OK. Recharging on the standard alternator is probably OK too.

Their Sprinter products usually come with a 16 gallon LP tank. Not sure one that big fits on the short Sprinter, but assume it does, so that is plenty for a cold weekend.

If the design theme is that you are parked off-kilter enough to justify the bed features they displayed, it may also be their thinking that the electric cooktop would be preferred over LP. Although I've never tried to cook with my rig at a wonky angle, I assume it's problematic with an lp cooktop.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
Silver Member

Agree, propane cook top would be great. I don't need 400AH of batteries. 200 would be fine.
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
2: More diesel appliances. Truma has a version of the Combi furnace/water heater in Europe that runs from diesel fuel... By doing this, there wouldn't be need for LP gas...
Perhaps that's the reason Winnebago chose an induction cooktop and inverter for the Sprinter 4x4 Adventure van. If they anticipate Truma's Combi D6 (diesel) becoming available for the US market they could eliminate propane completely in the final production van.

Then the Adventure 4x4 becomes fully autonomous with just onboard diesel and solar/alternator power. That would make a lot of sense.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Perhaps that's the reason Winnebago chose an induction cooktop and inverter for the Sprinter 4x4 Adventure van. If they anticipate Truma's Combi D6 (diesel) becoming available for the US market they could eliminate propane completely in the final production van.

Then the Adventure 4x4 becomes fully autonomous with just onboard diesel and solar/alternator power. That would make a lot of sense.
The Truma reps told me at GNR that the diesel unit is not legal in the US and they have no intentions of making it so.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Full diesel would be great but for my purposes propane is fine. It would be nice to have options (like the AC) to keep costs down.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The Truma reps told me at GNR that the diesel unit is not legal in the US and they have no intentions of making it so.
Maybe WGO could use the Webasto Dual Top instead of the Truma. It's diesel and it's available in the US.
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Does WGO have a current setup with Webasto? I could see where they may not want to introduce another supplier to the mix. However if they are already working with them it would be great to have full diesel maybe as an option. Diesel appliances and systems from I have seen are more expensive than other options.

It feels to me, as well as mentioned above, that this concept is geared toward the outdoor weekend warrior and not the long term expedition user. If someone really wanted full diesel there are other upfitters that could provide all the bells and whistles (and the costs associated with them) for the user that could really use them.

This van appears to be set in the right direction toward the active user with some compromises using existing WGO appliances and capabilities. One of the key factors I see for the weekend warrior types is to keep the costs down. I for one (weekend warrior type) would love this if I could get one out the door for $90K... If i need to use WGO off the shelf products to get there that is an acceptable compromise for me. If I were planning an expedition/long term live aboard situation I would be exploring other options and accepting a different price point.