Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago On A Roll

Looks like Winnebago has come up with a cohesive marketing strategy for the touring and Class C segment with prices to suit a broad range of customers.
  • RAM promaster - Entry Products
  • Ford - Middle Range
  • Mercedes Sprinter - Premium Segment

In addition, the Winnebago Go Life site is a very good online source for information. They are partnering with current Winnebago owners (Fit RV and others) to offer lifestyle content as well as product content.

I like the format and it showcases the Winnebago products in a purposeful and creative way.

Russ Garfin did a good job in the video below and should do more. Winnebago was appearing kind of stale and not relevant to a younger demographic. Glad things has changed. The video has upgraded product information as well.

https://youtu.be/kwzYvnneypk
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I think Russ is the spark that has driven them to be no. 1 now in "B" sales with his forward looking ideas compared to their previous meager efforts.
At least on the surface it looks that way

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think their demographic has always skewed a bit younger. Their offerings have mainly been about value and for family camping. They went a bit awry with their Class A's in the last few years and sales have suffered.

It takes time to build a product lineup. What we are seeing now probably represents 5-6 years of hard work. I think they are close now to having something for everyone - covering almost all of the price spectrums and product segments. They are in a good place for the time being.

But the market is fickle and times can change overnight. Hopefully they make hay while the sun is shining.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

So, are you up next to put your WGO story on GoLife with FitRV, Damon and Ash, and Don & Terry? If you played your cards right you could be the Mike Wendland of WGO South East and bring in boatloads of advertising revenue.

My consulting fee is .000001% of the site ad revenue for the concept.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

LOL. I doubt there is any real money to be made from WGO. Only Roadtrek seems to pay.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I think that putting the Transit in for the midlevel line is a really smart move. I think it would be a good idea even if it cost of a Transit is almost the same as a Sprinter. It keeps them from having a perceived premium van in other than the premium line and keeps those that want the Sprinter in the high margin stuff. It also will appeal to the past V10 owners who want to have power similar to what they had before.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think that putting the Transit in for the midlevel line is a really smart move. I think it would be a good idea even if it cost of a Transit is almost the same as a Sprinter. It keeps them from having a perceived premium van in other than the premium line and keeps those that want the Sprinter in the high margin stuff. It also will appeal to the past V10 owners who want to have power similar to what they had before.
I agree here. Some people just are not interested in Mercedes (or the RAM), for whatever reasons, yet need the towing capabilities, duallies, or brand loyalty, of the Ford. Ofcourse, the more "midlevel" the pricing, the better. Only Winnebago can decide how big the market is, and how many different platforms make economical sense. If I were looking for a heavier duty B or C, I would definitely be interested in a Ford. The RAM is a perfect economical B, and the Mercedes appeals to the "luxury" crowd.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It will be interesting to see how WGO handles batteries and charging systems going forward.

RT jumped in the deep end with their transition to LiFePO4 and is dealing with some glitches in that roll-out. PW has now gone LiFePO4; no reports of issues (yet), but it is early in the roll-out.

I suspect WGO will offer LiFePO4 soon, either as option or as a standard. However, I suspect they will double-check it more than a few times before roll-out. Latter part of 2016, maybe? With under-hood generator option?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I agree here. Some people just are not interested in Mercedes (or the RAM), for whatever reasons, yet need the towing capabilities, duallies, or brand loyalty, of the Ford. Ofcourse, the more "midlevel" the pricing, the better. Only Winnebago can decide how big the market is, and how many different platforms make economical sense. If I were looking for a heavier duty B or C, I would definitely be interested in a Ford. The RAM is a perfect economical B, and the Mercedes appeals to the "luxury" crowd.
Scott, being a retiree from GM after 34 years, a car geek from childhood, and having owned 2 Sprinter RV's, mostly because at the time there was nothing else out there, I never have understood the "luxury" term in relation to the Sprinter. The RV makers are the ones that make that vehicle into any kind of "luxurious" terminology. The bare chassis and the cab from MB are sure not anything other than entry level or special.....of course I always look below the surface fluff involved.

But that's not the subject of this thread. I believe the Transit will change the MB product into a much lower volume "specialty" chassis eventually

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
I never have understood the "luxury" term in relation to the Sprinter. The RV makers are the ones that make that vehicle into any kind of "luxurious" terminology. The bare chassis and the cab from MB are sure not anything other than entry level or special.....of course I always look below the surface fluff involved.
I think 'Premium' is a more appropriate description than 'luxury' and the Sprinter chassis may have a higher upfront cost compared to the others. I do feel the Mercedes drivetrain (engine, transmission, 4x4 option) and safety features does represent a premium and possibly a higher price point.

Given the higher price point, we may soon see advanced battery tech arrive in the Sprinter chassis products 1st and trickle down to the other chassis products as customers may be more willing to pay for a $6K upgrade where other customers want more space and greater perceived value for their money.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

bobojay and ClassB4Me, Yes, I'm not exactly sure what the correct term would be; "Luxury", "Premium", or maybe just ... "Pricier" But Mercedes IS the most expensive, RAM IS the least, and so it seems only fitting the Ford will fall in the middle.. I was just commenting (and agreeing) that I think Winnebago has all the bases covered..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote