Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 04:21 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Educated buyers aren’t paying MSRP, but rather ~ 30% off.
I am not educated in this field, my loss. Must be at least a PhD level. I see the price and pay or not.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
The primary reason for us taking the DIY route was lack of product on the market which we wanted...
Agreed. Exactly why I researched. Until a mass manufacturer got as close to a design as I needed to be, it was my only option.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:43 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
...In 1977 my VW Westfalia was $7k, so was the Volvo. In 1985 my VW Westfalia was $20K, so was the Volvo, today Volvo is $50K, well, VW Westfalia is missing in action but close cousin from Winnebago is $96K.
Now there is an interesting comparison.
I know nothing about Volvos, so I'll take your word for it, but just for kicks, I went to their website and "built" their midpriced model (which starts at 61K), I was up to my (more realistic) 67K number in just a couple clicks. But I do get your point, the pandemic, or "Van Life" craze, or whatever, does seem to have things a little out of whack.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #44
Silver Member

Enjoy your travels!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Now there is an interesting comparison.
I know nothing about Volvos, so I'll take your word for it, but just for kicks, I went to their website and "built" their midpriced model (which starts at 61K), I was up to my (more realistic) 67K number in just a couple clicks. But I do get your point, the pandemic, or "Van Life" craze, or whatever, does seem to have things a little out of whack.
Comparison was to Volvo station wagons, like V90 today, no Volvo SUV in 77 or 85. In 1977 Volvo was a great good family car so we evaluated both, chose Westfalia for camping. Very often we made the decision to go to Yosemite on Friday, no reservation, just pack food and go, it wasn't too far from Bay Area.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
George your prices are pretty far off from what I am seeing. When I build a Van on RAMS site, I repeatedly come up with $45,000, not $35,000. Anyone who has been around a bit knows that practically NO ONE buys a Winnebago at MSRP, and 30% discounts are there for the taking - that would put the Solis Pocket at $67,000. That's a difference of $22K for the build, NOT $60K as you quoted. For $67K you can't buy a Suburban these days, and I'm guessing you'd also be hard pressed to find even a cheaply built small class C, which you can ONLY use for camping (they don't really double as a 2nd car).
For $22K one gets operable windows, screens. window covers, a galley, dinette, bed, plumbing. batteries, solar, electrical, insulation, a floor, ceiling, walls, water tanks, air conditioning, heating, a fan, solar, etc. For those who are intimidated, or just do not want to build a Van or deal with a custom builder to get one built, I'd say the "value" might be better than the picture you paint. The 18' length puts it in the 2nd car category, which could have appeal for many.
I personally have been looking for a Promaster as a daily driver - RAM does not make a passenger van (and I don't really need one anyway, I need the cargo carrying ability and a mobile office). Outfitters that make nice passenger Vans are well above the selling price of this pocket.
Scott, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on all fronts. I too am looking for a Promaster to buy and build. And $40k is closer to the number for a 2500 136.

I just posted a question about them in fact, and asked about the new Pocket before I saw this thread. So, I'll contribute to what I found out after visiting a Solis dealer yesterday. The price was $72k not $95k. I asked him about the published prices and he said that they were MSRP prices, not their price. I actually had him write out what it would cost me down to dealer prep and taxes. All in was about $80k.

I'm pretty handy and have a nice wordshop in my garage. I've restored boats and old trucks. So, I've been looking to build out my own van. But, I'm still working so taking on the 500 hour project seems less likely in reality.

So....I spent a lot of time looking over the 159 Solis to get an idea of what to expect with the 136 Pocket. What I found overall was workable. Not the best, but I wasn't finding any builder to do a nicer job for $32k.

However, the Pocket came up a little short, no pun intended, in a couple of crucial areas for me. The most important, the 110 AC will only run if plugged into a 30 amp breaker, so it does limit you to RV sites if you want to run your AC....which is a lot of the time in Florida.

The second issue, which I asked about in the other thread as well, was is the 1500 enough van to pull a decent size boat, or motor up and down mountain passes? I've see people post that they wished they had gone with the 2500 instead of the 1500. Is this a factor? Should I be looking for a 2500 instead if I'm going to be pulling a 3,000 boat from time to time? The rep said they both had the same towing capacity.???

I am looking for a builder, or possibly I could go with the Pocket, but they won't be available until the end of August, but if I had to wager it will probably be in Sept or Oct.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a builder for a simple van layout, but one that I can run AC off the grid?

I look forward to being part of the Class B community.
BWick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:52 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Come over to Promasterforum.com to ask your question about towing capacity. The engine and transmission are exactly the same from 1500 to 3500.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Come over to Promasterforum.com to ask your question about towing capacity. The engine and transmission are exactly the same from 1500 to 3500.
Thanks, I’ll do that. I like your build, very well done.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:38 AM   #49
Platinum Member

The standard advice for towing capacity of a converted Promaster... 2500 and 3500... is about 2000 lbs. That has been the number since they started converting them in 2015.

That pretty much leaves you with a motorcycle or a Smart Car.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:42 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWick View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a builder for a simple van layout, but one that I can run AC off the grid?
If you have a significant bank of Lithium batteries, you might get 2 to 4 hours. An Onan generator will run your AC. Also the second generator used in Roadtreks will run the AC, but you have to keep your engine running the whole time.

Realistically speaking, if you want air conditioning... like for all night... you better be plugged in.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-27-2021, 02:18 AM   #51

Thanks for the response. If not batteries running the A/C all night is it more common to have a set up where your Van’s motor auto- starts to charge the batteries?
Old 05-27-2021, 02:56 AM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response. If not batteries running the A/C all night is it more common to have a set up where your Van’s motor auto- starts to charge the batteries?
That would be possible, but not advisable to idle a Pentastar engine for prolonged periods like that. "Fast idle" I would assume is just as bad, and noisy.

The New Quieter Fuel-injected Onan Generator would use less fuel and can have an additional fuel line share the same tank as the PM.. That is how WGO does it in the Travatos and Solis'.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:08 AM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Scott, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on all fronts. I too am looking for a Promaster to buy and build. And $40k is closer to the number for a 2500 136.
I don't know, I come up with the same number EVERY time I try:

Around 45K, and that is before adding windows...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (65).jpg (133.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Roadtrek used a system called "voltstart" to do just this. When the battery bank reached a certainly level, the engine would start 5 times and idle to recharge the batteries. It is definitely not common with any other converter that I know of... and I chose to avoid the option for lack of need. That said, the new owners of Roadtrek have stopped offering this because it can be problematic, and I suspect that Ram corporate may have squawked about it. Sprinter wouldn't allow it... don't know that it was ever tried with a Transit.

So... people who wish to run their AC all night have two realistic options... plug in at a campground or install an Onan. Roadtrek does have a propane Onan on its only current Sprinter model. Not an option on its Promasters that I can see on their website. Pleasureway has an Onan on all of its models I believe.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #55
Bud
Platinum Member

"So... people who wish to run their AC all night have two realistic options... plug in at a campground or install an Onan."

Mumkin, maybe I took that quote out of context, if so sorry. You know that there are folks out there running the a/c overnight with only batteries, and batteries with the engine starting during that time.

I don't understand.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
However, the Pocket came up a little short, no pun intended, in a couple of crucial areas for me. The most important, the 110 AC will only run if plugged into a 30 amp breaker, so it does limit you to RV sites if you want to run your AC....which is a lot of the time in Florida...
Thor's Promaster 18ft Rize and Scope models would be an alternative for short wheelbase Class B van with standard generator and AC.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #57

Thanks, I actually saw this van at La Mesa in Ft. Pierce yesterday. It's pretty nice but my wife is steadfast against sleeping in the popup. But, the idea of the A/C is something I've started to research, much like the zerobreeze, but they don't look like long term solutions, but toys, where tools are needed. But, if you can section off your sleeping area, which is essentially what we'd be needing, maybe one of these "toy" air conditioners would be all you'd need.

Does anyone have any experience with running these plug and play 12-volt systems?
Old 05-28-2021, 01:36 AM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"So... people who wish to run their AC all night have two realistic options... plug in at a campground or install an Onan."

Mumkin, maybe I took that quote out of context, if so sorry. You know that there are folks out there running the a/c overnight with only batteries, and batteries with the engine starting during that time.
I did say "realistic options" not the only possibility.

Yes, I did discuss people using Roadtrek's voltstart, but it is no longer offered. I would imagine that other converters... (Advanced?)... may have developed a similar system that is out of most of our leagues. lol There is certainly no cheap and easy, off the shelf option that I have heard of anyone using. Though I imagine that are a few techie types that may have wired one up...

And there are very few... a handful maybe?... that have a massive enough battery bank for them to do it on their own. But are any of them on a Promaster? Space and weight would certainly restrict the van options to... maybe extended Sprinters? E-Treks?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-28-2021, 01:40 AM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

Yes, I did discuss people using Roadtrek's voltstart, but it is no longer offered. I would imagine that other converters... (Advanced?)... may have developed a similar system that is out of most of our leagues. lol There is certainly no cheap and easy, off the shelf option that I have heard of anyone using. Though I imagine that are a few techie types that may have wired one up...

And there are very few... a handful maybe?... that have a massive enough battery bank for them to do it on their own. But are any of them on a Promaster? Space and weight would certainly restrict the van options to... maybe extended Sprinters? E-Treks?
With front drive Promaster what is the common place for Onan? not much room under the floor.
Old 05-28-2021, 02:09 AM   #60
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

mumkin, I did misunderstand to some extent. I did not realize after your post then George's. I do agree that Roadtrek etek had issues. Now, I have no idea either.

But Winnebago offers a/c overnight, alternating charging stuff Standard on two Promaster Models, along with Sprinters. Then there is Coachmen with the Beyond and the whatever Sprinters and then............................. Lots of it out there.

Sorry about my confussion with the emphasis on smaller. But anything is possible at most any price/size.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote