Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 02:25 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
With front drive Promaster what is the common place for Onan? not much room under the floor.
As someone who hates even the thought of again dealing with an Onan and wouldn't have one even for free... lol... I must admit that I haven't paid any attention to where Pleasureway puts its generator on its Promasters. My pure guess would be back around where the spare usually goes?

So... I went and checked out the PW website and I see the exhaust pipe coming out behind the rear wheel on the driver side. But this is on a 3500... might not be space there on the 1500 and short 2500.

I haven't paid much attention to Winnebago options either. I only recall we were all struck when their lithium option was priced at $30K. gaaakk...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
So... I went and checked out the PW website and I see the exhaust pipe coming out behind the rear wheel on the driver side. But this is on a 3500... might not be space there on the 1500 and short 2500.
This is the normal location on all PM's.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
........................ I only recall we were all struck when their lithium option was priced at $30K. gaaakk...
For $30K I would prefer a double function pack with 3,300 Ah, towing a Nissan Leaf would give you 2 functionalities - a car and the battery pack.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:15 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
This is the normal location on all PM's.
Yours is a 1500, right? Would one fit back there on yours?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-29-2021, 03:48 AM   #65
Platinum Member

Wink

The Travato L models (G&K) Include the auto start option with the Pure 3 lithium system by Volta. It is a good 48V system by most accounts, with huge power output, and an additional alternator, its own battery heaters etc, but it IS pricey - more like 20K, not 30, but still nuts for my purposes.
Its main selling point is for people who just can't stand a generator, or who have pets they leave in the van in hot climates. The new Onan fuel injected generators are multiple times quieter than the last version and make the cost even harder to justify in my view, but it's still a generator.
Personally, I've never had a pet worth 20K, and if I did, I wouldn't bring him along camping...
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yours is a 1500, right? Would one fit back there on yours?
If it goes between or behind the rear wheels and would fit under a regular 159”, it would fit under mine, because that area is identical. The 1500-2500-3500 distinction is irrelevant. I have no idea whether it would, though I’ve read of people putting a generator where the spare tire goes.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
The Travato L models ... but it IS pricey - more like 20K, not 30, but still nuts for my purposes.

...The new Onan fuel injected generators are multiple times quieter than the last version and make the cost even harder to justify in my view, but it's still a generator.
I could be wrong... what with age not improving my memory... lol... but I thought it was 30K when it first came out. But I agree still nuts at 20K... though we are ignoring Winnebago's hefty discounts from MSRP.

My extreme hatred of Onans has nothing to do with the noise, but the constant need for "exercise" when one stores the rig far from one's home. A second engine to maintain, and worst of all, the constant requirement to replace the parts that fail... annually... and it is impossible to get in to that far away Onan authorized service joint unless you want to leave it there for the 2 or 3 or 6 weeks it might take for them to get to it. Not terribly convenient when it is your only vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
If it goes between or behind the rear wheels and would fit under a regular 159”, it would fit under mine, because that area is identical. The 1500-2500-3500 distinction is irrelevant. I have no idea whether it would, though I’ve read of people putting a generator where the spare tire goes.
The 3500 extended that most of the RV converters are using does have more space back there. I wonder if they get to keep the spare. Having to slap your spare on the rear of the van takes away so many other carrying options besides making you longer.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-30-2021, 01:51 AM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
I could be wrong... I thought it was 30K when it first came out. But I agree still nuts at 20K... though we are ignoring Winnebago's hefty discounts from MSRP....
No - you were right, it is near 30K, but closer to 20K WITH discounts.

Quote:
My extreme hatred of Onans has nothing to do with the noise, but the constant need for "exercise" when one stores the rig far from one's home. A second engine to maintain, and worst of all, the constant requirement to replace the parts that fail... annually...
I would think new fuel-injected model should alleviate the monthly exercising as the carb won't gum up since it no longer has one (though, so far, the manuals still read the same as before). I can't speak for all, but I have gone 5 years without having any parts fail...

Quote:
The 3500 extended that most of the RV converters are using does have more space back there. I wonder if they get to keep the spare.
In my 3500 (2016 Travato) G, there is no room for a spare under the rig.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
In my 3500 (2016 Travato) G, there is no room for a spare under the rig.
So your Onan replaces it? Or have they put something else there too? So, you go without a spare? (I drove for 7 years without one without an issue... but have one now)

Good that the new ones don't have the carb. I replaced 2 of them in 4 years... or was it 1 of them and 2 fuel pumps? Both people that worked on it complained that their parts were crap. And I religiously exercised it first two years, once a month as the manual said... the service people suggested doing it twice a month, so I did for the last two years.

I LOVE my big second alternator...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-30-2021, 01:09 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
So your Onan replaces it? Or have they put something else there too? So, you go without a spare? (I drove for 7 years without one without an issue... but have one now)
I LOVE my big second alternator...
Yes - the Generator sits where the spare was; but even if the generator were removed, there is still not enough room for a spare because one of the tanks also protrudes into that space. People that want a spare find ways to attach it to the door, or even on top. If I ever make the Alaska or Mexico trip, I will probably have to figure it out.
It would be nice to see a system with a tad more battery power and no generator that wasn't quite as extreme (and costly) as their Volta system, but we are only going to get so many options from "mass" producers. Actually, my 2016 has a 3 way fridge so the 2 AGMs are adequate, but I believe the newer ones with compressor fridges need just a little more juice if you are not driving every day or two. I rarely need A/C (a couple times in 5 years) and could do without it AND the generator, but of course everyone's needs are different...
Old 05-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #71
Bronze Member

Quote:
[Some Canadian and European designs, such as the Safari Condo XL Flex, have a better solution with a lengthwise lift bed that can be fully raised during the day, then lowered to just above the bikes/gear for sleeping at night. And the bedding remains permanently made up, a convenient plus. I would love to see that system become available in US models
Very common with Australian Class B's as well. Who wants to keep remaking a bed in a small area?
RobRyan is offline   Reply With Quote