Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #201
Platinum Member

I have, but not current crop. The 2003-2006 MB Cruisers had them in the passenger side rear on the floor with door cutout of the side of the van. My buddy just bought a 96 Coachmen class b with the genset under the couch.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #202
Platinum Member

I also looked at an offbrand rig from mid 90's that had gen on passenger side midship with door cut out of van.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #203
Platinum Member

I'm sure you can find generators other than from under the van but the criticism was specifically aimed at the Travato and currently there are no other converters I am aware of not offering Onan generators mounted under the B today. Thus, I just think the criticism was uncalled for and I doubt you will be able to find a way otherwise in the new crop of unibody vans that can't be easily cut open.

Same with AGM batteries. My last B had wet-cell lead acid batteries. Those indeed had to be checked frequently thus an accessible box to get to them. AGMs not so much but I have to admit I am leary of them kind of hanging in the open underneath. But if you want the most economical new B on the market those are the kind of cost cutting features you are going to get. No frills just to make you feel comfortable in that regard.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #204

Bob, I crawled around a 2016 59K at the dealership today. I think it will take a while to achieve the normal Winnebago fit and finish as this one was a bit on the crude side. I drove it around the parking lot and it has a nice feel except the steering wheel is a bit awkward. Putting up the shower curtain with every shower will take a bit to get used too but what the heck it isn't a 40 foot pusher either. Got to remember to close the toilet paper holder, so it won't get wet, as it is mounted on the door. I had 2 Rialtas and the bath room on the Travato is far superior. I was told that the diesel version doesn't have a generator. I measured the clearance under the batteries to the ground and it was 7 and 3/4 inches but the rear axle is about a good inch lower so that leaves about 6+ inches of road ground clearance. I fail to understand why they have an inside water fill as well as outside. The twin beds are very comfortable with an elevated head bracket.

Lee and Margie Parmeter on our 16th RV- 2008-View profife
losone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #205
Platinum Member

The diesel version does have a generator - it's just that it's LP and not deisel. Surprised you didn't see it if you crawled under the van.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #206
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losone View Post
...I fail to understand why they have an inside water fill as well as outside...
That feature is handy for me on my 59g. At home I can fill through the hose port with a hose, but when I'm visiting my BIL, his water is so bad I wouldn't wash a dog with it, let alone fill my tank, so I buy 5 gal of water from a store and fill my tank using the inside gravity fill.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:08 AM   #207
Platinum Member

Losone-what part of the 59K did you think was poor quality. The one I looked at seem to be fine.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:37 AM   #208
Bronze Member

I spent a fair time on a K and G today, and had a similar perception-
- Velcro that holds the head rest on the G's dinette seat installed with "male" Velcro on the head rest and wall so it won't attach.
- edges of dinette seats not sewn, the foam visible from the passenger seat
- floor covering wrinkled up in corners
- wires and water lines run helter skelter, loose and not captured in their clamps
- insulation on the exterior wall (visible through the access panel under the bed) crooked and loose
- back door chain in the rear bath K hanging loose
- shower curtain snaps so tight I couldn't attach the curtain let alone unsnap it
- numerous rubber gasket material hanging loose from around the windows
- sewing on the mattress cover in the K uneven and poorly finished

There were a few other items my wife mentioned that I forget.

Kudos to Winnebago for making a B van so focussed. It is just what we want and we will order one. We will be patient to let then get the line perfected, and hope to take delivery in Iowa and will expect to wait through the process of getting it right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exechobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #209

I looked over and crawled under a gas 59K and listened to the salespeople with a total of 6 weeks experience. An LP gen set is reasonable as many diesel B's have them. The frig is an interesting model. It has a real compressor operating on 110/12V and no propane. Spot on about the batteries needing no service. They are mounted in the standard fashion and I feel the rig should be driven on some boards to allow room to lift them as they are quite heavy. I think I would do that even to check the gen set oil as it is a tight squeeze for a 6' foot 200 pounder under the coach. The water heater is is an "instant style" of electric water heater like they use in Europe.
losone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #210
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exechobo View Post
We will be patient to let then get the line perfected, and hope to take delivery in Iowa and will expect to wait through the process of getting it right.
Exechobo

Can you order a Winnebago from a dealer, but then take delivery at factory in Iowa? Or can you order direct from factory? Does this save the delivery charge? Do dealers allow this? Don't they usually (at supposed to) go over anything wrong/missing on delivery and fix it? What happens when you take delivery in Iowa, find things that need to be fixed on way home and then take to your dealers
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #211
Platinum Member

Losome. The 59k has the Trauma gas/electric water heater/cabin heater.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #212
Platinum Member

BobB.perhaps Exechobo means they might buy ftom Lichtsen rv near the factory.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #213
Platinum Member

Quote:
I spent a fair time on a K and G today, and had a similar perception-
- Velcro that holds the head rest on the G's dinette seat installed with "male" Velcro on the head rest and wall so it won't attach.
- edges of dinette seats not sewn, the foam visible from the passenger seat
- floor covering wrinkled up in corners
- wires and water lines run helter skelter, loose and not captured in their clamps
- insulation on the exterior wall (visible through the access panel under the bed) crooked and loose
- back door chain in the rear bath K hanging loose
- shower curtain snaps so tight I couldn't attach the curtain let alone unsnap it
- numerous rubber gasket material hanging loose from around the windows
- sewing on the mattress cover in the K uneven and poorly finished

There were a few other items my wife mentioned that I forget.

Kudos to Winnebago for making a B van so focussed. It is just what we want and we will order one. We will be patient to let then get the line perfected, and hope to take delivery in Iowa and will expect to wait through the process of getting it right.

Actually, the velcro is supposed to be like that. It's not the light duty velcro you normally see - one half plastic pegs and the other fuzzy - this is an industrial strength locking velcro where both sides are the "male" interlocking pegs. The problem though, with applying it to the seat backrest is that it's very difficult to press it in so it will lock. I ended up doubling the velcro tape on mine so I'd have more surface area to work with and get it to snap into place. You can buy the stuff at walmart on the hobby aisle.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #214
Platinum Member

stanw909,

Ah! Forgot that there was a dealer really close to factory. They are a good source of parts for my Winnebago EVC

I see Exechobo is from Washington. What is the experience of others with buying from a dealer far away and then when you need service or warranty work taking it to a local dealer?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #215
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
stanw909,

Ah! Forgot that there was a dealer really close to factory. They are a good source of parts for my Winnebago EVC

I see Exechobo is from Washington. What is the experience of others with buying from a dealer far away and then when you need service or warranty work taking it to a local dealer?

I'm going to find out, or I hope never to find out. I bought in NM but I live in ID with the Winnebago dealer about 10 miles away. The savings was almost $17k but they wouldn't budge.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #216
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I'm going to find out, or I hope never to find out. I bought in NM but I live in ID with the Winnebago dealer about 10 miles away. The savings was almost $17k but they wouldn't budge.
$17k is a lot trips!

I would think Winnebago (corporate) will not be too happy if a dealer would not honor warranty issues and I would think the dealer would like your $ to service it.

I don't know how RV business works, but with car dealers, a big chunk of their profit comes from the service, not sales. However, the next biggest chunk comes from financing the purchase, so if you were going to finance your rv, that may have been a bigger issue than the selling price.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #217
Platinum Member

They will not refuse service. But they will put you in the back of the line behind their "good" customers. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they won't care, but be prepared in case they do.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #218
Bronze Member

Yes BobB we would consider using Lichstinn if our "local" dealer won't let us take delivery for ourselves. We live about 3 hours from a dealer, so don't really get concerned about having to see them very often once we have taken a unit home- I do the work myself. After seeing how coaches are abused sometimes on the delivery journey we just can't bring ourselves to pay for someone to do this to ours. On our last RV we went to Ohio to pick it up. Wherever we take delivery the van and we will be on the road for at least 6 weeks before returning home, so we take days to get it right before leaving the lot. Then it is 6 weeks or more playing as the "visiting team" if we need service on the coach or chassis! We are semi-full timers.

Wincrasher you may have it right- I didn't examine it closely, as the dealer's van man was the one trying to get the headrest to stay put- after his repeated attempts I didn't want to handle it. I know what you mean though, I use some of the hard plastic Velcro on other things.

Eric1514, when I have bought from a non local dealer, and that is always my case, ( my home base changes every few years), I find no one, not even those dealers the factory claims will service my rig, will do so. There are a few shops regionaly though who make a living doing factory warrantee work, who help if it is required. Otherwise I do my own and while I'm not a lucky person, I am skilled. I have found that slide outs are beyond me, but other than that plumbing, cabinetry, electric and mechanical work is all within my skill set. Then I don't have to bring my RV home and finish or redo the job to my satisfaction!

While on the road I have always found dealers and RV service shops helpful, although they aren't performing warrantee work.

Exechobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #219
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
They will not refuse service. But they will put you in the back of the line behind their "good" customers. Sometimes you'll get lucky and they won't care, but be prepared in case they do.
That's what I'm expecting. It's CampingWorld and they're very busy in all departments so hopefully the service dept. is used to "walk-ins".

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #220
Platinum Member

Quote:
...Otherwise I do my own and while I'm not a lucky person, I am skilled. I have found that slide outs are beyond me, but other than that plumbing, cabinetry, electric and mechanical work is all within my skill set. Then I don't have to bring my RV home and finish or redo the job to my satisfaction!...
That's me, also. I've replaced furnaces, A/Cs, refrigerator parts, cracked plumbing and fried electrics. I think I'm a better and more conscientious worker than the average guy at the dealer, or the manufacturer. For instance, is it really that difficult to put the bezels for the outside 110v outlets on straight and level? Winnebago thinks so.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g