Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #241
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exechobo View Post
We considered the Trend, but the Travato. 59K offers the smaller size and openness we are seeking. We call it the Neo-Vanagan. If we considered the Trend we would also consider other "B+" vans like the Prism and View 24V. Then we are going too far away from what we want. So no, not really.
I'm also considering the View, but as you say are you getting away from the original intent. However you can pick up a brand new View for $90K which doesn't put you far from the price of anew Travato with a lot more features/room. Just have slightly more difficulty driving and parking, but don't see any issue with fitting in the same campsite the Travato does.

Also if you truly want to go remote boondocking, the View has a lot more ground clearance.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #242
Platinum Member

I think you're comparing a discounted price on the View and MSRP on the Travato. They're really not that close.

And if you think watching TV is awkward in the Trend, try it in a 59g.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #243
Platinum Member

A 2015 View/Navion can be had for $90K now that the 2016s are out. The Travato 59K will be in the low 70s. So a difference of $20K. So figure $20K for the Sprinter and al the rest of the room thrown in for free.

I was surprised how well the Views/Navions did on depreciation. Going used price for a 2007 is in the 50Ks. So 5K a year depreciation is not bad although the 2007s were a lot cheaper new.

I'm wanting to like the Travato, but you do give up a lot for the small size. I'm afraid I'll wish I had gone larger with a Trend or a View after buying a Travato.

I change my mind on a weekly or sometimes daily basis
Old 07-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #244
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
A 2015 View/Navion can be had for $90K now that the 2016s are out. The Travato 59K will be in the low 70s. So a difference of $20K. So figure $20K for the Sprinter and al the rest of the room thrown in for free.

I was surprised how well the Views/Navions did on depreciation. Going used price for a 2007 is in the 50Ks. So 5K a year depreciation is not bad although the 2007s were a lot cheaper new.

I'm wanting to like the Travato, but you do give up a lot for the small size. I'm afraid I'll wish I had gone larger with a Trend or a View after buying a Travato.

I change my mind on a weekly or sometimes daily basis
The new View/Navion is advertised for around $108k where the new Trend/Viva is advertised for around $66k.
Source: lamesarv.com
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #245
Platinum Member

The View is more than a foot taller and more than a foot and a half longer than the Trend. The widths are the same but still wider than any B. The View starts to exceed a lot of places a Class B can travel and camp and even the Trend. The Trend might still be able to squeeze into some of the limited length National Forest campgrounds. Even if the View could they most likely will find most sites impossible to use. Winnebago considers both the View and the Trend Class Cs. The Winnebago MSRP lists the View about $27,000 higher than the Trend.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #246
Bronze Member

We have a bar for "nimble". My 2005 f350 dually. It turns like the Missouri. I drive it on the city, but not with relish. It is actually larger than the old Views. I want smaller and more nimble. Promaster or Sprinter fill the bill. We will adapt to the size, after all, we come from ultra light backpacking experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exechobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #247
Platinum Member

I've found the Trends carry clearance pricing most of the year. My local dealer basically is giving them away. He doesn't discount on the Navions as much. They are definately a nicer rig with better equipment. So bang for the buck, I think you are getting more for the money with the Navion. If I ever wanted a C, I'd definately consider one of those (without the cab over bed).

What kind of rig that would suit you is really a function of your travelling style. I just don't spend much time sitting inside. That's not why I'm out and about. I have a huge house I can sit in if I wanna be indoors. When I'm traveling, the important thing is to get in close to where the action is, and then get out and enjoy it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #248
Platinum Member

Since the widths are about the same (9" difference) then the height (1-2"ft) and the length (3-4') are the difference. In a camping or parking spot height won't make a difference usually so are you saying a 3-4' difference in length is going to make a huge difference? There's a bunch of Sprinter class Bs that are 24' long. From View/Navions owners this doesn't seem to be the case. In fact with the road clearance of the View, you can go where class Bs can't. The major difference is driving where the extra 2 feet will be affected by the wind. From what I read the difference in driving the Trend and a class B is negligible.

I think the idea that the View/Navion is a lot harder to park/drive, is more because it looks bigger, so it must be harder and not from personal experience. I'm not saying there is no difference, but not as great as Class B owners make them out to be.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #249
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I've found the Trends carry clearance pricing most of the year. My local dealer basically is giving them away. He doesn't discount on the Navions as much. They are definately a nicer rig with better equipment. So bang for the buck, I think you are getting more for the money with the Navion. If I ever wanted a C, I'd definately consider one of those (without the cab over bed).

What kind of rig that would suit you is really a function of your travelling style. I just don't spend much time sitting inside. That's not why I'm out and about. I have a huge house I can sit in if I wanna be indoors. When I'm traveling, the important thing is to get in close to where the action is, and then get out and enjoy it.
To me the Trend is very cheap looking inside and the Navion/View much nicer. So we aren't talking 40' Class As here. We are talking about a vehicle which is slightly larger with a lot more interior space as a result.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #250
Platinum Member

Quote:
Since the widths are about the same (9" difference) then the height (1-2"ft) and the length (3-4') are the difference. In a camping or parking spot height won't make a difference usually so are you saying a 3-4' difference in length is going to make a huge difference? There's a bunch of Sprinter class Bs that are 24' long. From View/Navions owners this doesn't seem to be the case. In fact with the road clearance of the View, you can go where class Bs can't. The major difference is driving where the extra 2 feet will be affected by the wind. From what I read the difference in driving the Trend and a class B is negligible.
When you get to the campsite, then the differences increase. Please note that the Navion has slides which add to the width in a campsite - the specs 7'6" does not include that dimension. The View has a side slide, too, and one floorplan shows a rear slide, so at a campsite, they are wider and longer than the dimensions listed. The Trend does not come with slides.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #251
Platinum Member

True but how many campsites are you going to be in that you won't be able to extend the slides. Of all the camping sites pictures of seen of class Bs, not one would you not be able to extend the slide. I think 99.9% of the campsites have no issues with a slide being extended.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #252
Platinum Member

Quote:
True but how many campsites are you going to be in that you won't be able to extend the slides. Of all the camping sites pictures of seen of class Bs, not one would you not be able to extend the slide. I think 99.9% of the campsites have no issues with a slide being extended.
I agree, but then I have only been in 2 NPS and 3 state campgrounds with our EVC (only bought it 1-1/2 years ago). Before that, car camping. Others, like Davydd, have more experience with many more campgrounds. NFS and BLM may be very different, i.e. tighter spaces.

But I do remember the campsite I had in Carolina Beach (NC State Park) this spring - barely squeezed my EVC (mirrors do not fold in) between the trees flanking the campsite. We do enjoy the EVC's size parking in small towns and strip mall shopping centers picking up supplies in small stores.

I think larger vehicles just cut down on your options. Just my opinion.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #253
Platinum Member

Quote:
If that is what you want to believe, so be it. It seems your mind is made up.

Anyway, you give up any chance of parallel park boondocking on the street. I do it about a dozen times or more a year. I know you wouldn't dare do it here with a slide sticking out in an already wider RV.

Hey, but it is your choice. Trust me, you will not be anything like a Class B other than in your mind, IMO. I don't understand the psychology. B owners know their limits and usually accept them. C owners seem to go through a lot of mental gymnastics to convince themselves they can be like a B or they are looking for some kind of validation. I figure if you can't figure it out, a Class B is not for you. It really is pretty simple. Everyone has different criteria. That's why there are so many different types of RVs.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #254
Platinum Member

The more I see pics of your van, David, the more I like the color. It just doesn't stick out like a light color would. If you intend to "urban" camp or stealth, a dark color I think is the way to go.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #255
Platinum Member

I appreciate your replies. I'm not a B or C owner yet, but just trying to figure out what works best. You could parallel park a View with the slide in. You still have more room to move inside than a Class B. The only issue is you'll stand out just slightly more than a red Travato I think any of the Travato colors would be fine for stealth. I think with the red you might as well as blinking Xmas lights on also.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #256
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
If that is what you want to believe, so be it. It seems your mind is made up.

Anyway, you give up any chance of parallel park boondocking on the street. I do it about a dozen times or more a year. I know you wouldn't dare do it here with a slide sticking out in an already wider RV.

Hey, but it is your choice. Trust me, you will not be anything like a Class B other than in your mind, IMO. I don't understand the psychology. B owners know their limits and usually accept them. C owners seem to go through a lot of mental gymnastics to convince themselves they can be like a B or they are looking for some kind of validation. I figure if you can't figure it out, a Class B is not for you. It really is pretty simple. Everyone has different criteria. That's why there are so many different types of RVs.
Give me a break. Class C's like a View can park on the side of the road the same as your Sprinter. Trust me, I see it everyday in San Diego. They just don't put their slide out. No big deal.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #257
Platinum Member

It is the metallic version of the dark grey which tends to act like a chameleon with the different lighting. At dusk with the backdrop of grey mountains it seems to disappear. It doesn't seem to draw a lot of attention but people do a double take when they figure out it is a motorhome RV. At the Sedona campground our neighbor jokingly (I think) asked us if we were CIA.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #258
Platinum Member

Tbirdman and Jostalli,

When I say parallel park and boondock I mean sleep. You both just mentioned leaving the slide in and handicapping yourself in that regard.

I didn't mention stealth but since you brought it up, colors or not, there is absolutely no way you can make a Class C stealthy unless you want to disguise it as a police paddy wagon to keep the hoodlums away.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #259
Platinum Member

@Tbirdman

You need to decide what you will be using the RV for and that will tell you what will do the job. Speaking only for me, if I was driving less than 100 miles to camp, I'd still have my C. But 75% of my use will be driving 500 miles or more to visit family and friends and a B does that better.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #260
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Tbirdman and Jostalli,

When I say parallel park and boondock I mean sleep. You both just mentioned leaving the slide in and handicapping yourself in that regard.

I didn't mention stealth but since you brought it up, colors or not, there is absolutely no way you can make a Class C stealthy unless you want to disguise it as a police paddy wagon to keep the hoodlums away.
Handicapping by keeping the slide in to sleep? Hardly. Also there are a lot of Class C's with no slide like the Trend/Viva. So you meant just to sleep? You can sleep in any vehicle but most city ordinances do not allow habitation in vehicles so sounds and lights will give you away no matter what vehicle you are in.