Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #121
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Travato new model # 59K

Anytime you stick a bathroom at the very back of a Class B van you kill a lot over versatile storage options, especially for outside item storage. In order to recover some storage you end up resorting to using inside space for dual function of storage and living creating a logistics problem of where you put things at night or when parked. Parking a bike(s) between twin beds is such an example. That is simply a design limitation of a narrow van vs. a Class C which can be wide enough to overcome some design limitations and provide more functional and much larger outside access storage boxes.

Then if you resort to a storage box you increase the length of your B by at least 3 feet with something you cannot see and judge distance on the back while maneuvering. That will get you 16 cubic feet (Stowaway2 the most popular) vs. an extended van of 16" (the Sprinter example) which gets you about 48+ cubic feet, or three times as much more convenient storage in less than half the extended distance.

Example: A Promaster at 20'-11" + 3 ft. box is 23'-11" or about the same as an extended body Sprinter van of 24'-1".
Example: A RB Sprinter at 22'-9" + 3 ft. bos is 25'-9"
Example: A Ford Transit at 22'-1" + 3 ft. box is 25'-1"

BTW, I have a Let'sGoAero 20 cubic foot storage box with landing gear I'll sell. I used it on one trip.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #122
Platinum Member

Actually the box is not a problem as far as maneuvering goes. You can see it fully in the camera (and there are distance lines on the display). You don't feel the weight back there either. It's also VERY convenient at camp to have that stuff in an easy access container already outside.

To say you might as well get a larger van is misleading in my view. A bigger van has it's own drawbacks, including much increased weight and turning radius and you are still not getting additional storage for your outside items unless you are willing to put stinky or wet stuff inside your cabinets or under a sofa.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #123
Platinum Member

Not a problem...

Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #124
Platinum Member

So no one gets confused - that's not a Travato.

Curbside clearance on the Travato passenger side looks near stock - basically at the center line of the wheel hubs.

There's storage in the rear of the Travato 59K for your fresh water hose, 30 amp electrical cord & a sewer fitting if stored in a sealed tub. Sewer hose storage is already outside.

Might be able to fit a Coleman stove in the floor storage. I also thought of shoes & hiking boots etc. Shoes could go in the rear wardrobe also.

Two fold-up-in-bags chairs could go in the overcab area plus some other stuff maybe.

Lots of overhead cabinetry.......

Looks like there's a cabinet over the sink in the bathroom.

And drawers in the wardrobe.........

We haven't seen under the beds either! I expect to see the fresh water tank and the Truma unit but that could still leave tons of under bed storage. That might be a good place for something smelly like a used portable BBQ if you put it in a Rubbermaid tub first to contain the odors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Travato curb clearance.jpg (44.0 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg Travato 59K storage.jpg (58.3 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg Travato 59K shoes maybe.jpg (35.4 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg Travato 59K over cab.jpg (39.9 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg Travato 59K upper storage.jpg (40.1 KB, 832 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #125
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Travato new model # 59K

It was posted before that there is no under bed storage. These are all equipment areas.

So where would you put a grill? A folding table? Folding rug?

You'll need that area above the cab for window coverings.

That space in the floor would be great for shoes and maybe some hiking gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #126
Platinum Member

I wonder why they didn't raise the beds on the 59K? They didn't provide backrest or aisle width for the traditional dinette double duty and the beds at 30" wide are too deep for sitting (21-22" to backrest is standard). If they had raised the beds they could have gotten a tremendous amount of storage underneath. Maybe they will go through a "Doh!" moment and raise them next year like the did the 59G bed.

I may have said this before but this 59K plan mimics a little bit the old Forest River MB Cruiser plan on the T1N Sprinter circa 2004. The MB Cruiser had a dry bath which has been a primary reason for locating a bathroom in the rear on a Class B van (ERA, Arriva and Free Spirit SS).
Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #127
Site Team

It is also reminiscent of our old T1N-based 2005 Airstream Interstate front sleeper, which also had a rear bath. But, it shared the rear space with the galley, with the wardrobe in front of it. The big advantage of this layout is that you get a marvelously open feel with the unobstructed front windows on both sides. This is great and we miss it, although the tradeoffs are obvious.

I actually don't mind the idea of the wardrobe sharing space with the shower. In such a small van it is a reasonable tradeoff--better than the unreasonably tiny shower in our old interstate. They could have provided some access into the wardrobe from the living area rather than the shower, though. I also agree that the fixed, low beds are pretty wasteful.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #128
Platinum Member

I'll confirm whether or not there's any storage under the beds and report back. Maybe someone already asked a dealer. Best chance for it would be under the passenger side bed. From what I can tell the freshwater tank is under the passenger side bed but it and the wheel well doesn't take up all the space. The Truma unit would be under the drivers side bed. That plus ducting and wheel well may take up the effective useable space.

I don't know where the converter/charger and AC & DC panels are.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #129
Platinum Member

I think your best bet for any under bed storage is at the incline end of each bed - that space could be open, as there is some kind of mechanism to raise the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #130
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
I think your best bet for any under bed storage is at the incline end of each bed - that space could be open, as there is some kind of mechanism to raise the back.
At this time since it is not a back lift but more of a neck support pillow lift that they would not put a lot of complexity in it and that it would most like be a ratchet bar like a lawn chair lounger. You could easily raise those beds as much as 8 inches and then make the top platform a trunk lift with a huge storage area no matter what is currently under the beds.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #131
Platinum Member

My current rig is essentially the same floor plan except it has a chair in the doorway in a 96 Dodge. We love this floor plan and use it like this layout suggests. We use the front seats( side door chair and passenger seat turned around) for dinning area if we dont eat outside but we dont have the nice pull out tables and use an ice chest between the front seats as a table and whoever sits in the doorway chair uses the kitchen counter to set drink with plate in hand. I don't take the big long bolster/backrest on my bed anymore but wife insists on having hers even though she basically puts her pillows and bedding at the aft end of the bed as a back rest and puts her feet up on the cushion(lounging style) to watch tv and read. At bedtime I have to put her bolster into the cab area. That is until she realizes eventually how silly it is to carry around and it joins its sibling in the garage. Marko had a great idea about bedding bags which will tame the unruly bedding and give us bolsters for daytime use. I hang out for movie time in the side door chair because I'm a little too tall to sit like my wife does due to low cabinets. Other than tank capacities this Travato would be great for us. I would add a spare tire and carrier on the back and hang my chairs off of that as I do now. I would just set them in the shower area while traveling with something covering them so they couldn't mar the cabinets until I got the spare tire setup.I'm very excited to see one in person.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #132
Platinum Member

I should add that the ice chest is not used as such but rather for chips, bread and other various sundries. I was going to use storage tub but realized if the fridge were to poop out, we could get ice and move fridge contents to the ice chest until the fridge could be repaired.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:34 AM   #133
rtz
Bronze Member

View of under the bed:

rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #134
Platinum Member

I heard on some forums that the Froli system is really great. Wish I could remember where.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #135
Platinum Member

http://youtu.be/-oeTsr_wuU0 Froli setup video
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #136
Platinum Member

Not cheap. http://www.nickleatlantic.com/service.html
Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #137
Platinum Member

Accrete commented about the Froli System here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...p=18441#p18441

I saw it in the Westfalia Columbus that New-West RV in Québec was planning to import http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=2243 but I didn't take photos or try the bed.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #138
Platinum Member

Much to my kids embarrassment , I always try the bed. Even salesmen are surprised. I explain that you spend 8 hours a day in it so it better be comfortable.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #139
Platinum Member

Accrete was the member I was thinking of. I don't know if I could talk wife into spending $350.00 to upgrade our beds but it does show that Winnebago is not skipping on this new rig.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #140
Platinum Member

Re: under bed storage in the new Travato 59K

Confirmed. There is storage under the passenger side bed. The fresh water tank and the wheel well take up the outer part of that space but the inner portion is storage.
Also confirmed: The "space under the driver side bed is occupied with systems" so no storage there.