Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #141
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Travato new model # 59K

Interesting. It's probably not alot of space - most likely a narrow space between the tank and the outer wall of the van.

But what this tells us indirectly is that both beds must lift up to access the areas underneath, which is not what I was originally thinking.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #142
Platinum Member

Tank and wheel well on outer (van sidewall) side. Storage space is on the inner (aisle) side.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #143
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I wonder if they are installing any kind of sound/heat/cold insulation in those under bed areas. They use nothing in the ERA's. Just all bare metal....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:29 AM   #144
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
I wonder if they are installing any kind of sound/heat/cold insulation in those under bed areas. They use nothing in the ERA's. Just all bare metal....
At the price points they want to meet, I doubt it. The plain simple truth is most people most of the time don't do much B camping in cold weather. Go with the odds of need. Why saddle everyone with that cost only a few hardy souls will use?

I'm surprised they are using the Frolio system. Of course they could be trying to offset that cost with a cheaper mattress. Does the ERA use the Frolio system?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #145
Platinum Member

Here's a link previously posted by Wincrasher - The Travato: a behind the scenes look - http://winnebagolife.com/2014/07/beh...th-the-travato

It's the 59G not 59K but it shows insulation being installed at the factory.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:10 PM   #146
Platinum Member

No Frolio in ERA, yet....

Old 01-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #147
Platinum Member

Yes, I remember that post.

The wheel wells are not covered with anything on the inside. If you look outside, there is some kind of insulating spray/coating. I think this is how they come from Dodge.

Some people would have you believe that W is building the Yugo of campervans. That is just not the case. They make some odd design decisions, but the coach isn't really built to an ultra-low price point. The chassis gives significant cost savings. The coachwork is just like their other products. Maybe not the very best out there, but good enough for it's intended usage.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:38 AM   #148
Platinum Member

If I went to Sportsmobile and had them upfit a ProMaster, it would be in the same price range as the Travato. The fit/finish/materials Winnebago uses are decent (definitely a lot better than 90% of all travel trailers and some "C"s), and Winnebago has excellent plumbing and electrical documentation.

I think the first Winnebago floor plan was trying to get their factories used to the PM's layout. However now that European appliances are making their way across the pond, more mainstream floor plans can be done.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #149
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
If I went to Sportsmobile and had them upfit a ProMaster, it would be in the same price range as the Travato. The fit/finish/materials Winnebago uses are decent (definitely a lot better than 90% of all travel trailers and some "C"s), and Winnebago has excellent plumbing and electrical documentation.

I think the first Winnebago floor plan was trying to get their factories used to the PM's layout. However now that European appliances are making their way across the pond, more mainstream floor plans can be done.

Sportsmobile is less or the same as a manufactuers msrp-i doubt it meets an actual negotiated price.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #150
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Quote:

Sportsmobile is less or the same as a manufactuers msrp-i doubt it meets an actual negotiated price.

I'd agree. It's very likely you'd pay a bit more for a Sportsmobile that buying a Travato off the lot because of the discounting from such a volume manufacturer.
But on the plus side, you'd get one customized exactly to your wants and desires, and that has a value, doesn't it?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #151
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile has a lot more variables. For example, the price of the base van may be different, especially if someone can buy it on a discounted plan from the vehicle maker. The layout upfit cost can vary by floorplan, and then there is the cost of the added stuff one wants to add. One price advantage of Sportsmobile is that there is no dealer involved, and in my case, no delivery charge, as I can walk to the SMB factory.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #152
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sportsmobile has a lot more variables. For example, the price of the base van may be different, especially if someone can buy it on a discounted plan from the vehicle maker. The layout upfit cost can vary by floorplan, and then there is the cost of the added stuff one wants to add. One price advantage of Sportsmobile is that there is no dealer involved, and in my case, no delivery charge, as I can walk to the SMB factory.
I still think you are going to end up with a Transit Sportsmobile of some design. We have talked about this and like a lot of the same layout variations.....shoot, that across the street advantage is worth a bunch

Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #153
Silver Member

Wow I really like this! Kudos to Winnebago for trying something different. The only thing is I wish it had 2 sofa beds that go into one king instead of just twin beds with seatbelts, so you could drive it with more than 2 people if you needed. But they look much nicer and more comfortable with the ability to adjust the softness, than in the Era 70A. Also a bigger gray tank. But I think it's very very cool.
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #154
Platinum Member

It wouldn't be that difficult to do as a mod. (not sure about extra seat belts though)

The SVO Embassy has a similar bed setup:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVO Embassy lounge.jpg (40.6 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg SVO Embassy king.jpg (42.7 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg SVO Embassy bed.jpg (43.2 KB, 373 views)
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #155
Silver Member

We liked the new MB Coachhouse Arriva when we saw one, and this is similar to that, tho the Arriva is probably close to twice the price, has a bigger fridge being a little longer, etc. If the 59K had sofa beds with seatbelts instead of twins, I honestly would consider changing my order. I like the short length of the Travato. We have an Era 70X on order, I didn't know about this one when I ordered end Nov. I wonder if I can at least get that fridge put in ours. When I call Winnebago they don't seem to want to do anything different. Love the solar option also.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #156
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscott
We liked the new MB Coachhouse Arriva when we saw one, and this is similar to that, tho the Arriva is probably close to twice the price, has a bigger fridge being a little longer, etc. If the 59K had sofa beds with seatbelts instead of twins, I honestly would consider changing my order. I like the short length of the Travato. We have an Era 70X on order, I didn't know about this one when I ordered end Nov. I wonder if I can at least get that fridge put in ours. When I call Winnebago they don't seem to want to do anything different. Love the solar option also.

call your dealer. see if you can change your order. if ithasn'tbeen started to be built who knows. you have to ask.tough to deal direct with a manufacturer
Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 PM   #157
Platinum Member

Quote:
Winnebago won't make changes like that on the line. It would have to be a dealer installed/modified deal, or yourself. In other words $$$$.

That's the biggest gripe I have with that company. No changes allowed from the standard options. We did get them to change our countertop color on our order from the standard black that was to come with our interior, to the light color that came with the other interior color at the time.....like pulling teeth though, and cost us an extra $200.00

Old 01-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #158
Silver Member

Yup I hear you on that one Bobojay. Winnebago gave us a link to their department that states it does modifications, and yet no mod we wanted could they do. Like solar. So my husband asked them what changes you CAN do and they couldn't answer. We'll keep trying. ;o} We talked to Flagg RV who we are buying it from. Flagg said something about adding solar after it comes in, on top of the air conditioner, that sounded weird. Maybe we'll talk to someone else at Flagg. Flagg is also getting the 59K in. Maybe it'll be there when we go to pick ours up in Feb, would love to see it in person. I just learned from these sites they have something called flexible solar panels that can even be glued on? Interesting. PS: I also LOVE the lighter color countertop, glad ours is coming with it. We saw the Era with both darker and the lighter counter and the lighter to us made a huge difference with the unit feeling open and airy. That was something I didn't like about the Roadtreks, they felt dark and more closed in inside, most had that dark gray seats, etc. wasn't a fan of that, tho now they have a tan color that looks nicer. The Era has pretty colors inside of it. Maybe it's a girl thing but I'm really aware of the décor, colors, etc., when shopping for my RV and drove my husband crazy.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #159
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yup I hear you on that one Bobojay. Winnebago gave us a link to their department that states it does modifications, and yet no mod we wanted could they do. Like solar. So my husband asked them what changes you CAN do and they couldn't answer. We'll keep trying. ;o} We talked to Flagg RV who we are buying it from. Flagg said something about adding solar after it comes in, on top of the air conditioner, that sounded weird. Maybe we'll talk to someone else at Flagg. Flagg is also getting the 59K in. Maybe it'll be there when we go to pick ours up in Feb, would love to see it in person. I just learned from these sites they have something called flexible solar panels that can even be glued on? Interesting. PS: I also LOVE the lighter color countertop, glad ours is coming with it. We saw the Era with both darker and the lighter counter and the lighter to us made a huge difference with the unit feeling open and airy. It was something I didn't like about the Roadtreks. They felt dark inside, most had that dark gray seats, etc. altho now they have a tan color that looks nicer. The Era has pretty colors inside of it. Maybe it's a girl thing but I'm really aware of the décor, colors, etc., when shopping for my RV.
cjscott-when i saw the flaggrv i thoughtdoes he live in massachusetts. I live in springfield erea-how are your dealings with them
Old 01-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #160
Silver Member

Honestly, we loved them. We live in NY and there are 3 dealers closer to us, a Camping World, Colonial RV in NJ, and Crowley. Crowley was the only other that met Flagg's price. Colonial RV was THE WORST in every way imaginable. Flagg let us drive a Pleasureway Pursuit, an Era (didn't like the colors so waited on ours), A Navion and a Travato. They handed us the keys and off we went by ourselves. It was a busy day, don't know if that's the norm. It was a very relaxing experience, Steve Flagg was very nice. They also had food there hehe. Beautiful dealership. We did haggle a bit but were persistent and it paid off. Very nice family run business. It feels honest, that's what you feel when you deal with them and peaceful. Flagg is also giving us a FANTASTIC price on our trade. So far I can't say enough good things about them. Highly recommend. He also went out of his way to bring another Era in for us without us even asking, but it had the right outside but wrong inside color. I forgot also about Fretz in PA, they are also a couple hours away and slightly closer. They couldn't touch Flagg's price, they offered us a 2014 around the same price and that was after much haggling, and still wouldn't go near what they're giving us for our trade. And Flagg is getting that 59K in, I think their site says with diesel. So if anyone is interested I would really recommend them.