Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Travato new model # 59K

Winnebago Travato 59K is shown in this video from Lichtsinn Motors

[youtube:2w7hvjtz]l0Kn4kQFbIw[/youtube:2w7hvjtz]
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Travato 59K

You beat me to the punch. Here is what I saw from that vid...

The good:

Open floorplan.
The bathroom is in the rear, so if ventilation is absolutely needed, one can open a door.
Looks like a decent amount of bed space, either as two twins or mashed together as a wide king.
The clear aisle would allow for bicycles or other items to be stashed inside. Plus, with separate beds, one can use the bathroom without having to jump over the other person.

The bad:

Other than overhead compartments and drawers, not much storage space. For example, a wardrobe... and stashing clothes in the bathroom doesn't count.
The fridge is a standard "B" size for a rig 2-3 years ago, but most newer models have at least a 5-7 cubic foot fridge/freezer.

The ugly:

I wonder if the gray water drains from the shower pan via gravity, or if it needs a pump like the other Travato floorplan. I also wonder if it has a LP gas water heater, and not an electric.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Some screen captures from the video:

Looks like possible articulated bed for reading or watching TV etc. Hard to know for sure. Anyone remember that idea from Benny (Rolacoy) and in the LTV FreeFlight? Link: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...12&t=108#p2374
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winnebago Travato 59K.jpg (106.9 KB, 3097 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago Travato 59K 2.jpg (86.3 KB, 3097 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago Travato 59K 3.jpg (73.3 KB, 3093 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago Travato 59K 4.jpg (62.2 KB, 3094 views)
Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The beds appear permanent and not convertible from a sofa setup and probably don't come together for a full size bed. The width looks pretty ample and I am guessing a full 30" wide. The articulation is for the neck only it appears and not from waist up. It is hard to tell if it raises electrically to any position or is a mechanical lift up. Those buttons on the wall might indicate electrical.

That kitchen galley reminds me of the old Forest River MB Cruiser Sprinter with the back bathroom.

You can park a bicycle between the beds but then that would cut you off from the bathroom while on the road and it would have to be moved in the campground. Go to TheFitRV.com and see how James and Stefany put their bike in the sliding door entrance and also see their highly modified MB Cruiser. It appears there may be a couple of bikes on the back end. It is definitely appealing to the active young couple. No way I can get kayaks down off roofs anymore.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
........................ I also wonder if it has a LP gas water heater, and not an electric.
Press Release indicates it is a combo LP & Electric heat and hot water from Truma.

Quote:
Travato 59K (Class B) -- Features innovative advances in technology and comfort systems. This is the first Class B in North America to feature the new 97% efficient Truma-Combi heating and hot water system that provides quick hot water recovery, quiet, consistent air delivery throughout the coach and an electric-heating element that uses campground electricity to take the chill off a brisk morning.
Link provided by wincrasher: http://www.truma.net/us/en/home/index.php
Old 12-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks, I just found that link. I'm blown away -- Truma actually is selling their cool stuff in the US now. I've grumbled that on rv.net a lot, and apparently, they are actually playing in the US market.

Now, if they would get their VeGA propane fuel cell here, it would be nice. Would completely kill the need for an absorption fridge.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
Thanks, I just found that link. I'm blown away -- Truma actually is selling their cool stuff in the US now. ................
Yup, you suggested it needed a Truma Combi unit back in June 2013 http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...p=15218#p15218
Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Really surprised there is not a back cushion to use those beds as sofas. Seems really impractical. I assume there is huge storage underneath those beds.

With the bath way in the back, one can only assume the tanks are also back there. So does the kitchen need a pump to get the water to the back, or vice-versa? Most likely not.

But if the tanks are out back, then where does the generator go?

Lots of questions.

If they are adding floorpans, then I suggest they copy the Shire and give us a front lounge model.

Update -

I found this http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource.../15Travato.pdf- scroll down in the document and they compare the specs between the 59G and the 59K. The gray tank is DOWN to 13 gallons from 15! What a non-starter!
And the propane is still the puny 6 gallons. That is a big disappointment.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There are no back cushions because those are beds,not couches.The cushions can be manipulated ( simply stand the cushions at the head of the bed straight up then push the longer cushions rearward ) to make a kind of chaise lounge which will make a very nice spot to read and watch TV..Speaking of the TV. The placement of the TV is brilliant.It can be watched from the beds (chaise lounge), the front seats and out the side door from the patio.I particularly like the omission of the table in favor of the popup table at the passenger side front seat and the use of the kitchen counter top for the drivers seat.Our table from our similar floorplan Coachmen Sarratoga is sitting in the garage until the time we sell the van in the future.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
There are no back cushions because those are beds,not couches.The cushions can be manipulated ( simply stand the cushions at the head of the bed straight up then push the longer cushions rearward ) to make a kind of chaise lounge which will make a very nice spot to read and watch TV.
Stan, I don't think it will work as you suggested. That head cushion that elevates is most likely fixed with either a mechanical lift like an adjustable chaise lounge ratchet arm or it is fixed to an electric actuator that allows you to raise it to the height you want. If it is fixed like that either way you won't be able to stand up or push the cushions. They are definitely beds not meant to be facing sofas and because of the adjustable headrest there are no back cushions to be used as fillers for one large bed. At least 30" wide as I judge them to be is pretty good for twin beds in a van. The sofa I am sitting on right now is a 22" flat surface and I have no problem napping on it.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Winnebago offers a similar chaise-like cushion in their other products. It's very simple, basically a metal arm to raise the back to a fixed position. That's probably the same thing here. Maybe good for reading before bed, but I'd probably not use it unless it was something motorized with infinite adjustment.

I think that most people that would opt for this van would probably fashion some kind of cushion or pillows to make those beds some kind of useable sofa for daytime. I know I would have something made.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I have the Dagwood Bumstead attitude toward sofas. They're for laying on to nap or watch TV. I actually like the way they are,

I find most RV twin bed type sofas with those low filler cushion backs to be rather uncomfortable compared to a home sofa or the electric bi-fold cross the back bed/sofas with high backs in RVs. The back cushions would have to be very thick in order for your back to rest against them if those beds are 30" wide as I am estimating. The maximum depth should be no more than 22" and that would mean at least 8" thick cushions.

Keep in mind it is a two person maximum van in all aspects the the two cab captain chairs turn around.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The beds do look comfortable & wide. No problem getting up in the middle of the night and navigating your way to the bathroom.
We need more photos of it.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
Platinum Member

We know the driver's side bed butts up against the galley cabinet and the passenger side is open. We don't know the length but hopefully it should be at least 74" as most Bs provide as a minimum. If 30" wide and open at the foot a tall person could use the passenger side with either a little bit of curl effect or feet hanging over unimpeded.

Airplane and RV travel has dispelled all envy of tall people for me in my old age. I've actually lost 1-1/2" in height since age 18.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I hope you guys are correct about the beds having some sort of lift mechanism. That would be great. I guess we will wait and see.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I hope you guys are correct about the beds having some sort of lift mechanism. That would be great. I guess we will wait and see.
Stan, It is only a short neck adjustment that I see that you could use in combination with a pillow. It is not going to elevate your back to a semi sit up position. On that passenger side, if you get too high, your head is going to bump the control panels. It doesn't appear as extensive as those examples MarkoPolo ressurected from 6 years ago.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I've looked at the video several times-i just don't see the back bench/bed whatever being long enough to sleep north south. has to make east/west bed
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I think it's an optical illusion regarding the bed length but definitely the drivers side bed will be for a shorter person. As far as the lift goes on the passenger side; I agree the controls should be moved higher but the act of lifting the cushion ( if it is indeed done with some sort of mechanism ) would pull the cushion away from the wall. I still wonder if Winnebago will do anything other than what I described earlier in this thread. They seem to be trying to keep the price low and sell volume. That would probably rule out an electric mechanism but not necessarily a ratchet system or even something much simpler found in lawn furniture. All of this is conjecture until Winnebago want's us to know.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Stan, Something definitely props that end mattress. We see that in the video. I only suspect maybe a dead switch because on both sides it looks like there might be deadman switches for infinite position control like the electric sofa/beds have. Either that or they are light switches for overhead reading lamps. But still it is just a pillow area/neck area prop. I'll give you a hint. I've done a lot of research on this recently.

Gerry, Those beds are not going to come together for cross sleeping. There are no filler mattresses and that head mattress adjustment eliminates that idea. They are definitely individual twin beds. How long are they? Not enough information yet but the video never shows the whole bed in one shot to judge.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I haven't quite dissected the video like the Sapruder film but will look for those switches. Very cool if correct. This is my favorite floor plan and very interesting to me. I don't have the funding nor the inclination to buy anything new but ten years from now it may be in the running as a used coach.