Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #1

Default Winnebago Travato Side Panel

Hello ,
We bought a 2016 Winnebago Travato 59k this past March from a private owner. Only had 12k miles .They said it was used for only a few trips and I think it was mainly for traveling. The body is in excellent shape but we have developed a crease in the outside rear passenger panel that started about 6 inches from the electrical outlet. It has over a month or so spread forward almost reaching where the sliding door starts . There are no blemishes, scratches or missing paint . Has anyone encountered this scenario? It seems to me to be some kind of stress the panel incurred maybe opening and closing door . The attached photo is the best I can do with the reflection on it. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C33088AB-F4F8-4B74-A251-C459C8688D2B.jpg (104.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 2E623661-0D8F-4C56-94A1-B9524611A34F.jpg (122.8 KB, 51 views)
Pleasureway ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

Nice Travato, odd crease. Not a Travato owner myself, but your's is the first of it's kind I've heard of. I'm going to guess it is not caused by the upfitted cabinets etc. since all are attached to internal ribs and not outer skin. What is directly on the inside at that area?

It's something that's not obvious unless seen at the right angle. Are you sure it wasn't there at purchase? Could something have inpacted the side while in a parking lot? The sliding door is another suspect, but you'd expect scratches in the paint and the line to be perfectly horizontal if the door was misaligned.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #3

Thanks ,
The crease wasn’t even there two months ago when I first washed it . Then I’ve noticed it spreading a little bit each week . It hasn’t been anywhere anything could have brushed against it . I guess it will stop in about 4 inches when it reaches the end of panel . I hope !
Old 06-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasureway ny View Post
Thanks ,
The crease wasn’t even there two months ago when I first washed it . Then I’ve noticed it spreading a little bit each week . It hasn’t been anywhere anything could have brushed against it . I guess it will stop in about 4 inches when it reaches the end of panel . I hope !
Ok, you've documented it as a spreading crease. I still have no idea what would cause it, but makes me think you're internal stress theory is valid. Other Travato owners here, so maybe help is on the way.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I looked up thr "K" platform layout (always forget which layout is G and which is K). That area is along the curbside bed. Nothing there that should cause your problem.

Very curious.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
Gold Member

Default 2020 Travato K59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasureway ny View Post
Hello ,
We bought a 2016 Winnebago Travato 59k this past March from a private owner. Only had 12k miles .They said it was used for only a few trips and I think it was mainly for traveling. The body is in excellent shape but we have developed a crease in the outside rear passenger panel that started about 6 inches from the electrical outlet. It has over a month or so spread forward almost reaching where the sliding door starts . There are no blemishes, scratches or missing paint . Has anyone encountered this scenario? It seems to me to be some kind of stress the panel incurred maybe opening and closing door . The attached photo is the best I can do with the reflection on it. Thanks
Hello, you had me run out and check my side panel on my 2020 Travato 59K that now has 9000 miles. I think all the Dodge Ram 3500 panels would have the crease. I will be watching this and check out our friends Travato 59G for this. Good luck and maybe the dealer could tell you something or get it fixed. I am no longer going to let that heavy side door fly open fast. LOL
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Gold Member

Default 59k owner here

What is on that side is the fresh water tank. You need to pull the bed. No easy task. It is heavy. You will need an electric screw driver as the screws are long!

To the rear of the water tank is all the electrical. Pulling the bed will expose that also.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the water tank is expanding. You have a place at the foot of the bed for adding water. Lift up that panel and unscrew the tank plug there. Any release of pressure? What does it look like in the storage compartment that is under the bed and parallel to the water? Is it bulging out?

Please keep us posted. Very strange.

Keith
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #8

I checked the water tank pressure by release Ins the cap , seemed normal . Also checked the underside bed panel and no bulging or pressure . I am taking to ram dealer on Tuesday and will keep you posted
Thanks Tim
Old 06-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #9
Silver Member

I have a 2017 Travato 59K with 23,000 miles, and there is no evidence of crease. I would do what you are doing - take it to a Ram dealer or even a body shop.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
Gold Member

Tim, the dealer will likely need the bed removed. He may do it but they charge for time.When I had my right tail light assembly leaking water I had to take the narrow cover off on the inside so they could replace it. If it was me, I'd remove the bed first.

For the life of me I can't remember if it is a complete box below the bed. Then removing the bed won't help a lot. If you go here, Plumbing Diagrams and have IE (won't run on any other browser) you can bring up an exploded view and move things around so you can see what is between the water tank and panel inside. There is some insulation which is, I think, glued to the panel inside.

Also, there is a FB group, Travato owners and wannebees with a lot of members. That would be a good thing to join and ask.

Good luck,
Keith
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I’ve been active on the PM forum since almost the beginning. I’ve never heard of the problem and would seriously doubt it is caused by anything in the base vehicle.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:22 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I’ve been active on the PM forum since almost the beginning. I’ve never heard of the problem and would seriously doubt it is caused by anything in the base vehicle.
Me too, never heard anything like this from the Facebook Travato forum. Perhaps you should pose your question there.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #13

Thanks everyone ! I have been on the Travato group and they are also puzzled . I will start with the dealer ,just so Ram will know about it and go from there . As far as fixing it ,I’d like to first find the cause so it doesn’t repeat itself . I will keep you all posted .

Tim
Old 07-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #14

Default Update

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions regarding the panel . In doing some deep research I found that the original owner on the first day they owned the Travato scraped the side panel against a mailbox post . It certainly was a great repair cover up ,for 3 1/2 years anyway . The dealer spotted, from experience the look of a repair . I guess at least now the mystery is over and I can comfortably replace or repair the panel
Tim