Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
But on plans like the Zion you still need to store the table and back cushions when you want to sleep. It would be so easy to set up a table that could be used in the front or back. Why not two tables. You can store easily at least one under the passenger side bed as I saw in a video a RV dealer was able to fit a portable solar panel case under that same bed.

For a few tradeoffs, the 59K Travato brings to the party what the others don't which is an usable bathroom. I could even live with the 59G even though I think upfront is too crowded. For around $70K, both 59G and 59K have great great value.

I was not impressed with the Zion when I saw it. The only think I would like from the Zion is the engine generator. The ERAs bathrooms are too small. The Pleasureways although nice are too expensive. I'm not into for paying for nice cabinetry.

I just wish these Bs would figure out a way to get bigger holding tanks. For me as a single it's not an issue as I can probably go a week using water conservation before dumping.

Of course others will and do have other opinions.
Zion does some nice things, but yea overall I dont like it.

I think the 59G has a better bathroom then the 59K. The 59K is just odd. A rear wet bath was a bad choice to make. You have to use that awful curtain to shower. 59G has nice space and even if using the curtain to block off the toilet its far easier and probably more roomy.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
59g is an excellent rv but you will end up in those front chairs eventually if you want to use the TV because you can't see it from the dinette. I suppose you could watch from the ottoman. My advice is to sit in both for a long time and go through the motions of how you would use it. One definite advantage of 59g is that you can bring two more people along and that could be nice.

The TV placement is awful. But if I remember right, theres hookups for a TV somewhere around the galley, which makes me wonder why it didnt go there in the first place. The single benefit to the current positioning is being able to peek at it quick from outside if a game is on or something.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:25 AM   #23
Platinum Member

I was thinking about that curtain in the 59K. I was thinking about fabricating curtain rod that protects just the rear and front door plus the cabinet. After you are done you just bundle the curtain to one side. Something like this

Should be easy to find one and then you don't have to fiddle with snaps. Problem solved.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #24
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k
Default Spare tire

I've decided to fabricate something for a spare..do any of you think it will overload for weight if I put something in the receiver hitch???
Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Nope, not a problem in the van. Plenty of GVW left

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:34 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Default RV Cover

Anyone have a recommendation on a cover for a Travato?

I've always kept my RVs covered. I want to keep my new Travato covered (I just bought one). They're not fun to put on and off. put they really protect your investment if you can't garage it.

TIA,
Eric
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:41 AM   #27
Site Team

My opinion is that covers do more harm than good. Causes abrasion due to wind and grit. Modern finishes are very robust to sunlight.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:49 AM   #28
Platinum Member

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this point. My last RV looked as good when I sold it (today) as it did the day I bought it. The uv damage of an Arizona summer is unbelievable and a properly fitted cover tied down properly on a clean auto, will not (or didn't) scratch. The sun would destroy a cover every three years.

If I have the room, I want to build some sort of structure, but the HOA may kill that thought.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:04 AM   #29
Site Team

I can say the same about my uncovered-for-10-years vehicle. However, I will concede that there may be a material difference between Pennsylvania and Arizona.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:39 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Oh man! That Arizona sun is merciless. Something needs to cover it

Old 06-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Your best bet down there is a carport. Not too costly, and you can make them tall enough to get a van under. I'd think on a Travato, with all the antennas and stuff on the roof, getting a cover on and off would be very fiddly.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Your best bet down there is a carport. Not too costly, and you can make them tall enough to get a van under. I'd think on a Travato, with all the antennas and stuff on the roof, getting a cover on and off would be very fiddly.
Agree, VERY fiddly!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
But on plans like the Zion you still need to store the table and back cushions when you want to sleep. It would be so easy to set up a table that could be used in the front or back. Why not two tables. You can store easily at least one under the passenger side bed as I saw in a video a RV dealer was able to fit a portable solar panel case under that same bed.

For a few tradeoffs, the 59K Travato brings to the party what the others don't which is an usable bathroom. I could even live with the 59G even though I think upfront is too crowded. For around $70K, both 59G and 59K have great great value.

I was not impressed with the Zion when I saw it. The only think I would like from the Zion is the engine generator. The ERAs bathrooms are too small. The Pleasureways although nice are too expensive. I'm not into for paying for nice cabinetry.

I just wish these Bs would figure out a way to get bigger holding tanks. For me as a single it's not an issue as I can probably go a week using water conservation before dumping.

Of course others will and do have other opinions.

we leave the zions cushions at home. my wife sleeps on the permanent bed side and i sleep with the couch out. there is a 6 inch gap with for getting up in the night. works for us the zions fresh water tank is 36 gallons/gray 23/black 10
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Most vans can carry enough water for a week - it's just a matter of how good you are at conserving. I'm not very good at it, but there are tricks. Plus you can always carry some jugs.

Almost all vans have a 10 or 11 gallon black. That also is pretty good for a week for most people.

It really comes down to the grey tank. To me, the 13 gallons on the 59k is borderline unacceptable. I feel really constrained by only 15 gallons in my G. It's especially frustrating, when you crawl under the van and discover there is actually room for it to be a bit bigger.

Not to say I'm above dumping the grey on the ground when in an appropriate place. Using the right soaps, it doesn't stink or is environmentally harmful in any way.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Most vans can carry enough water for a week - it's just a matter of how good you are at conserving. I'm not very good at it, but there are tricks. Plus you can always carry some jugs.

Almost all vans have a 10 or 11 gallon black. That also is pretty good for a week for most people.

It really comes down to the grey tank. To me, the 13 gallons on the 59k is borderline unacceptable. I feel really constrained by only 15 gallons in my G. It's especially frustrating, when you crawl under the van and discover there is actually room for it to be a bit bigger.

Not to say I'm above dumping the grey on the ground when in an appropriate place. Using the right soaps, it doesn't stink or is environmentally harmful in any way.
Probably a good case for a "composting" toilet. You could combine grey and black. In my Promaster conversion I have 40gal fresh, 32gal grey, no black tank.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Jostalli.Is it possible to show us your conversion? Sorry if I missed any threads on it. Did you go composting, portapotti , cartridge or good old 5 gallon bucket and bag ?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:08 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
Jostalli.Is it possible to show us your conversion? Sorry if I missed any threads on it. Did you go composting, portapotti , cartridge or good old 5 gallon bucket and bag ?
I could start a build thread. Are those common here?

I'm not finished yet. I chose the Separett Privy 501 so I could build it into the cabinetry. After using a Nature's Head I knew what I wanted. The Separett is the best I have found.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:45 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Default Refrigerator on 12v

The last 3 way refrigerator I owned was in a trailer and we never used it on 12v when traveling down the road as it used more power than the tow vehicle could replace. Wire size and distance were the culprits I think.

Do you think the refrigerator in the Travato 59g could be run in 12v mode while traveling or should I just use propane?

I haven't taken possession of my MH yet, so I'm just curious and can't run any tests myself.

TIA,
Eric
Old 06-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Yes it can run on 12 volt while traveling and it is recommended that fridge be turned off if running on propane during refuelling to be safe from igniting gasoline vapors.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #40
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

I agree not to cover outside..difficult and wearing..lucky enough to have inside storage from November to April in Massachusetts. Winters here worse than summer.

Making rear tire carrier out of old Yakima fold-down bike rack that goes into receiver hitch.

Wife loves double bed. Chassis chairs fine with foldout tables...can see TV from anywhere..even outside.

Wacky transmission likes to downshift going down hills..wish it didn't.

2200 miles so far..everything going ok... Wayne from Mass