Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #861
Silver Member

Gosman, After everything I had read about the Travato, I was planning on installing the resonator as well. When I picked up my 2019 K and ran the generator, I was really surprised to find that the sound of the generator running was nowhere near as annoying as I had read. Maybe (or maybe not) it's because the 2019 has a little more insulation, or maybe it just didn't bother me as much as other users. I would suggest trying out the generator before buying the resonator and see what you think.

Also, I found that I could run a small K-cup coffee maker, a small toaster, and a hot water boiler with the 1000 watt inverter (one at a time) that comes in the 2019 Travato.
So there is no need to start the generator to make breakfast.

If you plan on boondocking a lot in the Summer, you may need to run the generator for longer periods of time for AC, maybe the resonator would be helpful then. I have not had the need to run the generator much at all. Good luck with your new Travato! I would be interested to see what you think abut the generator noise when you try it.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #862
Bronze Member

Fruck, let us know how you like sleeping on those double beds and taking a shower in that messy bath! Is that bath hard to clean afterwards? Is the shower drape hard to use? Give us your impression.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #863
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
Fruck, let us know how you like sleeping on those double beds and taking a shower in that messy bath! Is that bath hard to clean afterwards? Is the shower drape hard to use? Give us your impression.
Messy bath?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #864
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Messy bath?
Yes- it has a rear bath system with drawers for clothes and the whole bath is wet when taking a shower! You have to then wipe off everything to get rid of the droplets! Seems cumbersome.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #865
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes- it has a rear bath system with drawers for clothes and the whole bath is wet when taking a shower! You have to then wipe off everything to get rid of the droplets! Seems cumbersome.
You are misinformed.

There is a curtain that goes around the shower stall.
The bathroom is very roomy; it must be the biggest bath of all Class Bs.
I think you will enjoy it.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #866
Platinum Member

Quote:
Fruck, let us know how you like sleeping on those double beds
Every review of the Travato G or K I've ever read has positive comments on the beds and the support system. Your experience has been otherwise?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #867
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
You are misinformed.

There is a curtain that goes around the shower stall.
The bathroom is very roomy; it must be the biggest bath of all Class Bs.
Gosman is still waiting (his previous post) and in 12 posts he already doesn’t like it, wrong purchase. He should pull the plug.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #868
Silver Member

Gosman, The double beds are very comfortable, we put quilted (std.twin size) mattress pads and (std twin) fitted sheets right on the factory mattress. Works fine.

We set up the conversion where you change the twin bunks into a queen size bed (once) using the table and the bolster pillows, it wasn't worth the trouble. It closes off the aisle and makes getting out of bed and to the bathroom or front area harder. We also found that the setting up the table for actual table use isn't worth the trouble. Its very tight. Now the big table top and bolsters stay home.

I made two smaller tables to use with the table poles but we don't use them much. We find that swiveling the drivers and passenger seats and using the counter/ cutting board and airline type folding table much easier to set up and break down, and they are very comfortable.

The bathroom / shower is very functional and easy to clean. You can open the back doors and clean it while standing outside the truck, it's easier on your lower back.

The shower curtain that comes with the Travato is very functional and easy to use. You will probably want to get a few of those pawn shaped magnets to stick the shower curtain to the metal areas on the back door, this really makes the shower space bigger. When you put up the shower curtain, face the wardrobe and draws and start putting up the shower curtain on the snap at the top left corner of the wardrobe, there will also probably be one snap on the left below the wardrobe doors and above the draws. Next just snap the shower curtain into place over the wardrobe to the rear doors, then over the rear doors, then, if you want, over the medicine cabinet. You can then put the magnets in place on the back doors to expand the shower area, you can figure out where you want them.

I do not set up the shower curtain over the medicine cabinet wall, I just leave the part of the shower curtain that would normally cover the medicine cabinet in the corner on the left side of the medicine cabinet. You can then shower with the bathroom sink in the down position and use it as a shelf for soap or shampoo.

We did make a new shower curtain using the original as a pattern. We made it so it ended in the back corner by the medicine cabinet and we wouldn't have the excess hanging in the corner. It works good enough, but the material that the original shower curtain is made of is much nicer as it sheds water and drys faster. If I can find that material I will make another.

When we are done, we leave the shower curtain hanging by a few snaps on the back corner to the left of the medicine cabinet until it drys.

Here are a few tips:

When you get done using the shower head, and the water on/off switch on the shower head, do NOT forget to return the the handle that you regulate the hot and cold water for the shower to the OFF position, or pointed straight down. If you forget, water will leak out of the shower hose connection every time you flush the toilet.

When you fold down the bathroom sink, you will find that there is metal on either side of the latch at the top on the inside of the wall opening. It's a great place to store your pawn shaped shower curtain magnets.

Make sure you have all of you shower stuff, (soap, shampoo, towel) on your bunk BEFORE you put up the shower curtain over the wardrobe and draws.

If you read this long winded comment all the way to the end, sorry it was so long.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:05 AM   #869
Platinum Member

23jun18
Jaharu,
The generators certainly provide a level of noise none of us are crazy about. The good news is these generators are better and a bit less noisy than older ones but totally silent or at least close to it is of course, what we all wish for. I think CUMMINS/ONAN have probably done about all that is reasonable to curb the gas, propane and diesel powered versions of these gen sets. As for the exhaust, that is not the main source of the noise. If the engines were water cooled, meaing they have a water jacket (secondary casting wall) like a car engine, that would help a lot. Less mechanical noise and lower temperature is all good (although a bit worse for emissions). Besides the double wall with liquid between them, the engines can also be run at half the RPM because the the amount of air that must be sped around the engine requires the crank shaft mounted fan to move really fast.

So we might wonder why a liquid cooled engine is not offered. The engine size grows a bit. The weight grows noticably. And so does the cost. Air cooling is simpler, lighter, smaller and cheaper so it makes sense to use it even though it is much louder.

Now if we had the room around the outside of the gen set to create at least a full anechoic chamber, then the only sound left would be the muffler. I suspect then we would find that most people would not bother with a resonator/secondary muffler as the noise that is left really isn't much. Of course it can still help as long as the back pressure on these relatively low horse power engines is not impeded to the point of negating the performance and engine heating.

Unfortunately there is little room around the generator housing to add an effective set of sound deadening cones. Certainly not underneath or on top. Maybe on the sides. But then new problems are introduced. Air flow, especially for the air cooled engine and to some degree, the generator unit itself could be affected negatively; not good. Other issues which are easily solved would be to make the cones fire retardent. The cones would also have to be on removable panels to allow servicing or removal/install of the gen set. Kind of kills the idea, doesn't it? If someone has a quality Sound Meter and access to a lot of egg cartons, it could be interesting to see if placing and spacing a pair of panels of these for a very, very temporary test on the forward and aft sides of the gen set had enough of a lower decibel result to matter. This would have to be a short time-test of the generator so nothing overheats. Having an egg carton based fire started under your umpteen thousand dollar RV will likely not be looked upon favorably by your insurance carrier let alone your family and neighbors. But a VERYH as in just a few minutes would prove if even two panels instead of a fully enclosed chamber around a gen set provides any worthwhile effect. If it does, then can more effective cones that are fire resistant be engineered for permanent installation on at least that RV model? Would the same physical air space exist in say, all other Class B's with an underside ONAN gen set to allow the solution to be applied to all that might purchase this as a self-install kit? Proper cone surfaces eliminate sound better than flat absorbant panels. I think the gen sets already have sound absorbing panels on the interior walls of the gen set cabinets. Cones of the right size and materials, external to the gen set can trap a lot of what sound makes it out of the cabinet.

Food for thought. Likely to have a lot of holes shot into this idea by those that know more about the subject of generator engineering as it applies to those that have them hung under our Class B RV's in particular. I would certainly want to know the pros and cons before attempting any sort of test to make sure it could be safely done which includes zero inhibition of carbon monoxide from the exhaust system.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #870
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storysrvwego View Post
I think CUMMINS/ONAN have probably done about all that is reasonable to curb the gas, propane and diesel powered versions of these gen sets.
I don't think that this is close to being true. As best I can see, all of these engines are crude, 20th century designs that show little evidence of recent engineering investment. I doubt that this will change, since I am sure that these are seen as legacy products, soon to be be obsoleted by more exotic alternatives. ICEs are unlikely to attract much R&D money in any of their forms, least of all in a niche market like this.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #871
Platinum Member

You are right that the design can be improved. KAWASAKI and HONDA are two excellent examples that are still mainly conventional designs but with some improvements. Both are known in their commercial models for their long and smooth life. KAWASAKI did have (not sure if still available) a very compact liquid cooled engine that was used in at least a JOHN DEERE lawn tractor (LT) for some years. One of these in good condition today sells easily on the used market. Definitely quieter. No longer sold in an LT because it simply got too expensive to retain market share versus B&S and other similar old guard air cooled engines. So we know there are at least some improvements that could be/could have been implemented if price were no object.

Given the price of the new Lithium based power systems that are best done with greater than 12 volt alternators, an advanced "conventional" gen set might fly now. I just do not know if an engine exists or could be manufactured that is physically no larger than the ones used in the gen sets today with the desired attribute of low noise, fuel consumption rate and reasonable emissions with the hp/torque required.

Given the significant pros of a well engineered system like the L option of WINNEBAGO and some others, if the price comes down, this could be the standard in the future. Space, weight and price of the capacitors (currently Lithium based batteries) is the primary challenge to whittle down now. I am sure advancements in capacitors will happen. Maybe even a practical sized and safe fuel cell system. For now it looks like the conventional noisy and fossil fueled gen sets will continue to dominate the market. Uggh.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #872
Platinum Member

Default What did those Sumo Springs do for your ride in the back??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharu View Post
That's great information, @teck13!
I totally agree with you on the bumpers!
However, I am a little surprised that Lichtsinn treated me a little differently than they treated you. They were absolutely adamant on the full-body paint.
And I wasn't too thrilled about paying the $2K more.

I am also on the same page with you on the resonator. Without it, it is positively obnoxious
I am just curious as to how much the labor is on the Sumo Springs and resonator installations.
I plan to do both
I was told that I should skip the Sumo Springs.... that it would make my vehicle even rougher...of course.. my Sprinter is NOT the same model..

What's your experience so far.?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #873
Platinum Member

We added a resonator to our Onan QG2800 gas generator, on a Coachmen Crossfit (I think Travato uses the same). Did not have before measurements, but Aug 2015 FitRV tested un-modified gas generator under no load on their Travato. 10 ft = 76 dBa; 50 ft = 60 dBa

Used a NIOSH app on iPhone to measure sound. Results were:

10 Feet away = Onan 65 db; Van engine 62 db

50 feet away = Onan 51 db; Van engine 48 db

Recorded 12/2017 after putting resonator on. Readings taken from passenger side. Onan exhausts from Driver’s side.

It appears that the resonator may reduce the DBa readings by 9 Db. I believe this is significant and we are considering adding another to the end of the tailpipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator Muffler 1.jpg (237.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #874
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
We added a resonator to our Onan QG2800 gas generator, on a Coachmen Crossfit (I think Travato uses the same). Did not have before measurements, but Aug 2015 FitRV tested un-modified gas generator under no load on their Travato. 10 ft = 76 dBa; 50 ft = 60 dBa

Used a NIOSH app on iPhone to measure sound. Results were:

10 Feet away = Onan 65 db; Van engine 62 db

50 feet away = Onan 51 db; Van engine 48 db

Recorded 12/2017 after putting resonator on. Readings taken from passenger side. Onan exhausts from Driver’s side.

It appears that the resonator may reduce the DBa readings by 9 Db. I believe this is significant and we are considering adding another to the end of the tailpipe.
The db scale is a little deceptive. 3db doesn't look like much but a 3db decrease constitutes a 50% decrease in the sound level.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #875
Platinum Member

Default Generators are noisy...no question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The db scale is a little deceptive. 3db doesn't look like much but a 3db decrease constitutes a 50% decrease in the sound level.
The most impressive thing I recently discovered is that the Roadtrek E-TREK doesn't even have a generator... doesn't need one.... AND, you can run the air conditioning for about 5 hours on the batteries alone...... plus, when the power goes down the engine will quickly recharge the battery system...

Unfortunately... I can't afford a $165,000 Class B.....so, I'll have to put up with some inconveniences ..... glad I still have my private home.... much quieter there...
When I'm out on the road...we spend a lot of time outdoors ... and there's campground noise everywhere.... not just from generators......you can't avoid it.....

Here's my advice...if you want a quieter environment....stay home and close your double pane windows..... Double pane windows really make a huge difference....

OR.... take your RV to a remote location... away from people..... the most beautiful locations are not RV parks and full featured campgrounds with swimming pools... etc...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #876
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
The most impressive thing I recently discovered is that the Roadtrek E-TREK doesn't even have a generator... doesn't need one.... AND, you can run the air conditioning for about 5 hours on the batteries alone...... plus, when the power goes down the engine will quickly recharge the battery system...

Unfortunately... I can't afford a $165,000 Class B.....so, I'll have to put up with some inconveniences ..... glad I still have my private home.... much quieter there...
When I'm out on the road...we spend a lot of time outdoors ... and there's campground noise everywhere.... not just from generators......you can't avoid it.....

Here's my advice...if you want a quieter environment....stay home and close your double pane windows..... Double pane windows really make a huge difference....

OR.... take your RV to a remote location... away from people..... the most beautiful locations are not RV parks and full featured campgrounds with swimming pools... etc...
I don't understand what any of this has to do with the pros and cons of a Travato. But, what the hell:

A well equipped Etrek can be purchased for $135,000. Those that pay $165,000 provide an indisputable validation of Darwin's theory.

The ECO800 system in the Etrek is also available in the 210 Popular which can be bought fully loaded for about $118,000 and includes a bullet proof Chevy V8 engine that never has and never will will have you limping home.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #877
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

Please, you are making a fool of yourself. The etrek's problem is well known in this forum as well as other forums on the web.

By going Off-Topic on a Travao thread, you are inviting people to "reply" to your misinformation, and making both Roadtrek and etrek look even worse.

Maybe you should spend some time reading the past posts of this forum, get yourself acquainted with the products first, before you make an off-topic post praising an embarrassingly problematic product.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #878
Gold Member

Quote:
I was told that I should skip the Sumo Springs.... that it would make my vehicle even rougher...of course.. my Sprinter is NOT the same model..

What's your experience so far.?
Hi @Roadtrek Adventuous - I have not been able to install the Sumo Springs yet, so I am not able to answer the question effectively.

Maybe @teck13 can provide some info?
jharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #879
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
We added a resonator to our Onan QG2800 gas generator, ... I believe this is significant and we are considering adding another to the end of the tailpipe.
Thanks for the great picture!

I also saw a video on YouTube where "Gary" demonstrates that using a resonator is better.

I have two questions regarding the resonator...
a) If you added an elbow facing down after the resonator, would there be any adverse effects from the back pressure developed therein?
b) If you got it welded as shown in the video - how much are we talking in terms of labor?

Thanks for all the great posts
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #880
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruch View Post
Gosman, The double beds are very comfortable,
The bathroom / shower is very functional and easy to clean. .
I agree with @fruch.
For me, the point of going with the Travato 59K was the bath.
It is excellent - albeit there is a small rattle from the metal shower collapsible "doors" - it is roomy, almost luxurious.

I have also tried the beds. They are *very* comfortable.
It is always nice to carry a memory foam mattress topper - if you are going to fill in the middle and make it a King.

I tried the beds on the Roadtrek Zion. They were not nice at all.
And the center bath was also claustrophobic