Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 11:10 PM   #881
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
For example, they recommend against the pricy dual pane acrylic window option.
I started shopping in Northern California and Oregon.
Nobody even came close to Lichtsinn - they were at least $5K more - for the same vehicle, same wait times.
But then again, I would have to fly to Minneapolis and drive it back - so there was a hidden cost.

Lichtsinn was professional enough and gave me a quote over the phone.
But the salesman I was dealing with (Reed) said that there was no way he could order one without the full body paint. That was apparently their "standard" order

My neighbor from 2 blocks down suggested I try Ray Lewis in Dayton, OH.
Yes, I would have to pick it up, and they had a silver with full body paint on the lot - which was $2000 less than Lichtsinn. But the silver wasn't a good-looking vehicle.
But the granite was indeed in short supply, so I have to wait. But they came in $2K less than Lichtsinn. I went back to Lichtsinn, and they said they could not do it. They have too much business, I guess!
jharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #882
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharu View Post
I started shopping in Northern California and Oregon.
Nobody even came close to Lichtsinn - they were at least $5K more - for the same vehicle, same wait times.
But then again, I would have to fly to Minneapolis and drive it back - so there was a hidden cost.

Lichtsinn was professional enough and gave me a quote over the phone.
But the salesman I was dealing with (Reed) said that there was no way he could order one without the full body paint. That was apparently their "standard" order

My neighbor from 2 blocks down suggested I try Ray Lewis in Dayton, OH.
Yes, I would have to pick it up, and they had a silver with full body paint on the lot - which was $2000 less than Lichtsinn. But the silver wasn't a good-looking vehicle.
But the granite was indeed in short supply, so I have to wait. But they came in $2K less than Lichtsinn. I went back to Lichtsinn, and they said they could not do it. They have too much business, I guess!
Try this shop. Internet sales are run by Cheryl Travers.

https://www.rvone.com/albanyrv/build...to-Pure-3/4878
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:55 AM   #883
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the great picture!

I also saw a video on YouTube where "Gary" demonstrates that using a resonator is better.

I have two questions regarding the resonator...
a) If you added an elbow facing down after the resonator, would there be any adverse effects from the back pressure developed therein?
b) If you got it welded as shown in the video - how much are we talking in terms of labor?

Thanks for all the great posts
I can't answer about the backpressure from an elbow, but we paid about $50 in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is a pretty pricey neighborhood. DH took the pipe off of the generator and delivered it to the welder along with the resonator so the cost was just for the welding.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #884
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I can't answer about the backpressure from an elbow, but we paid about $50 in the San Francisco Bay Area, which is a pretty pricey neighborhood. DH took the pipe off of the generator and delivered it to the welder along with the resonator so the cost was just for the welding.
That's fantastic info!
I am close to where you are - so that gives me a good idea of what to expect.
Thanks again!

I have to apologize - I did not understand the acronym "DH"
Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 PM   #885
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

I have to apologize - I did not understand the acronym "DH"

DH = Dear husband
Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #886
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi @Roadtrek Adventuous - I have not been able to install the Sumo Springs yet, so I am not able to answer the question effectively.

Maybe @teck13 can provide some info?
I pick up my Travato next week with rear SumoSprings installed by the dealer in Iowa. So as of yet, no direct experience. However, everything I have read, which is a lot, and my experience with auto suspension tells me the Sumos do indeed stiffen or firm up the rear suspension a bit. On rough roads this might roughen up the ride a little but will also help with more abrupt bottoming of suspension that can happened with the stock bump stops.

A lot of this is personal preference. An analogy, some prefer the softer, quieter ride of a Buick and other prefer a bit stiffer but more response ride from say a BMW. Neither is better, it’s personal preference.

The one clear advantage of adding rear SumoSprings is it raises up the coach about 1”, providing a touch more ground clearance.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #887
Gold Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
DH = Dear husband
Old 07-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #888
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
I pick up my Travato next week with rear SumoSprings installed by the dealer in Iowa. So as of yet, no direct experience. However, everything I have read, which is a lot, and my experience with auto suspension tells me the Sumos do indeed stiffen or firm up the rear suspension a bit. On rough roads this might roughen up the ride a little but will also help with more abrupt bottoming of suspension that can happened with the stock bump stops.

A lot of this is personal preference. An analogy, some prefer the softer, quieter ride of a Buick and other prefer a bit stiffer but more response ride from say a BMW. Neither is better, it’s personal preference.

The one clear advantage of adding rear SumoSprings is it raises up the coach about 1”, providing a touch more ground clearance.
Nice congrats! I picked up my 2019 TG last week. Ordered the Sumo’s for front and rear. On back order so should be on by the end of the month! Hope I have time to get installed before a road trip to Canada! Did you upgrade the tires? I’m thinking of going with a larger AT tire.
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #889
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
Nice congrats! I picked up my 2019 TG last week. Ordered the Sumo’s for front and rear. On back order so should be on by the end of the month! Hope I have time to get installed before a road trip to Canada! Did you upgrade the tires? I’m thinking of going with a larger AT tire.
I probably should have done front Sumos too but I’ll see how it handles with just rears first. Can add when I get home to NorCal. I did a sh_t-ton of reading and research on tires. A lot of good discussion on Facebook Travato group. I. am going to switch to K02’s when the factory tires wear out. And for good or bad I read factory tires last 40,000+ miles. I will go with stock size when I switch. Slightly wider will fit with light trimming of rear wheel well protectors but stock tire is absolute max width recommended for stock wheel width. Taller/Higher series tires offer ground clearance advantages but bring a host of issues/problems.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #890

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I think the 59K beds are fine. For day time use you should be able through the use of pillows convert them to couches.

As far as tables, don't seem that hard to mount a table between the beds or in the front of the van.
I use our 2017 K that way. I use the front "podium" table for office space, sitting in the cab seat (my dog sits in the other cab seat). I use both the podium table and the slide-out "cutting board" as counter space when I'm preparing food. I sit on the bed as if it was a couch to watch TV or read, and sometimes put the supplied long center table between the beds to eat or organize a project. I agree that the shower curtain is clumsy, and many people have "modded" that. I don't really take long showers in the K because of the small gray tank; I do spray off a bit, and the shower works fine. The K doesn't have a great place to store big pieces of gear (plastic fence panels for our dog pen), so we are putting a Stowaway cargo carrier on the trailer hitch for the big stuff (chairs, rug, etc.). Although my spouse finds it a bit tight, the K suits me just fine!
EmmaJoy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #891

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on a cover for a Travato?

I've always kept my RVs covered. I want to keep my new Travato covered (I just bought one). They're not fun to put on and off. put they really protect your investment if you can't garage it.

TIA,
Eric
We like our Travato uncovered because of the roof solar. Because of parking restrictions in our neighborhood, we need to park our Magic Bus in an outdoor lot without shore power. The factory 100w roof solar keeps our house batteries charged all winter without any need for attention (although we do drive the van a bit every now and then to keep the engine and generator happy). But we don't have the scorching Southern sun all winter up north, so your situation may be different.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
um... numerous times every day?

I would prefer it next to the bed area though.
Several times a day, indeed! And during the night, too
Travato K rear bath leaves that open feeling up front, which was a big selling point for us. By putting the wardrobe cabinet in the K's rear bath, many necessities are available right where they are needed. The only downside is the odd shower curtain, which many K owners have modified.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:46 PM   #893
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJoy53 View Post
We like our Travato uncovered because of the roof solar. Because of parking restrictions in our neighborhood, we need to park our Magic Bus in an outdoor lot without shore power. The factory 100w roof solar keeps our house batteries charged all winter without any need for attention (although we do drive the van a bit every now and then to keep the engine and generator happy). But we don't have the scorching Southern sun all winter up north, so your situation may be different.
I totally agree. In addition to all the things you said, there is also the fact that covers tend to grind in dirt as they flap in the wind. Makes much more sense to put effort into blocking windows to protect the interior from the sun. May be worth covering the wheels, too. The sun doesn't really affect modern automotive paints. Ground in grit does.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #894

Default locking racks emergency answer

I don't have a class B (working on getting one), but I have run into the problem of locking gear to racks that can be easily removed and I came up with an emergency solution on a van until I could find a permanent one, which is to lock everything together - ladder, racks, bicycle, etc. - so that if someone did try to take something, it would be so unwieldy that they couldn't do it. It's not a perfect solution, but a good temporary one until you figure it out. Otherwise you'll be worried sick just leaving your vehicle to go into a store or restaurant. I never came up with a permanent one (sold the van), but I quit worrying every time I left it alone.
graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #895
Platinum Member

Default Security concerns......

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphite View Post
I don't have a class B (working on getting one), but I have run into the problem of locking gear to racks that can be easily removed and I came up with an emergency solution on a van until I could find a permanent one, which is to lock everything together - ladder, racks, bicycle, etc. - so that if someone did try to take something, it would be so unwieldy that they couldn't do it. It's not a perfect solution, but a good temporary one until you figure it out. Otherwise you'll be worried sick just leaving your vehicle to go into a store or restaurant. I never came up with a permanent one (sold the van), but I quit worrying every time I left it alone.
Valet parking??? NO.... just kidding......

My question is WHERE are you parking your vehicle that has you so concerned?
I would try and AVOID places like that and don't know what you're carrying that's so likely to be stolen?

If it's that valuable...I would consider placing a camera on the vehicle that you can access from your cellphone... like a "Ring" that you typically find at people's residence.....I'm sure it can be done... Every time someone comes to our front door the cellphone alerts me and keeps a video record... Very cool....

You're going to need several cameras for multiple angles.

You shouldn't have to go through all this worry.. kinda takes the fun out of the trips....

Good luck.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #896

This makes me wonder if I ever want to post a suggestion on this forum again.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #897
Platinum Member

Default Sorry... didn't mean to offend you

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphite View Post
This makes me wonder if I ever want to post a suggestion on this forum again.
Sorry about that... listen... I'm very sensitive to where I park my vehicle....it's value is close to $100,000.. I get it...

Recently, we had an occasion to stay at a hotel on a road trip.....I pulled into one parking lot looked around and decided I wouldn't even leave my RS Adventurous there let alone stay at that hotel....

SO... when I say "avoid" places you're not comfortable....I mean it...it's a gut feeling...

If you are always concerned about what might get stolen or vandalized.. you can't be comfortable.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #898

I was making a suggestion to people who were looking for an answer to locking racks to their RV and offered a temporary solution. I owned a van once and one of the reasons for it over a pickup is so I could lock stuff in it (tools, outdoor toys, bikes, or whatever) and no one would steal from me. But I don't assume that people who always lock their cars are always paranoid about someone stealing stuff in their cars. Just about everyone I know locks their car when they park it in public places no matter where they are.

But I accept apologies
Old 09-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #899

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJoy53 View Post
Does the battery disconnect switch have to be in the on position for the solar panels to keep the batteries charged all winter long? We just bought a 59G, and did not get much helpful information about this system in the walk-through. It will be parked in our driveway for the winter, but won't be connected to shore power, and I don't want to kill the batteries by either over- or under-charging them. Any information that anybody can give about this would be helpful.
Cotton Hawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:51 AM   #900
Platinum Member

My Toy Hauler
IMG_1172.jpg

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote