Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #441
Silver Member

Yes, 10/10 would buy adventure sprinter, but there are not as many of us as we would like to think...
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #442
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
For instance, it seems that several ARV's are used for dog shows and have custom crates, etc. for that purpose... an ARV seems perfect for that kind of person that needs reliable AC off grid, and space and comfort for fancy dogs. I for one would struggle with coming in from a rainy hike with mud all over the place and step foot in most of the ARV's I have seen with the beautiful wood and leather... looking at those interiors I feel like I would need to use a coaster for my beer let alone leaving a trail of mud everywhere. I would prefer something much easier to clean... OSV is more my speed but way too expensive. I have a feeling our next van would be built by Van Specialties and be similar to an OSV style finish to the interior but with an enclosed bathroom or maybe WGO will build their Adventure Sprinter and I would buy that.
You have some misconceptions about Advanced RVs. Only a couple ARVs have been built with custom crates at the request of the owners. The idea is if the customer desires something they can express that desire and ARV can generally deliver. As for finishes the owners have carte blanche to pick just about any finishes they desire. There is no set design finish criteria foisted on you. I set my beer down without coasters because I have the most durable counter tops you can get in a B.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #443
Silver Member

ARVs are legit. They say they pick the interior finishes not for fanciness (word?), but for durability. Can't say I disagree.

That said I still think I would be more particular of my behavior in an ARV that the old WGO war wagon!

Advanced makes the best B in the business, for those seeking the best B.

I treat mine more like a bic lighter. a temporary solution to my current problem. Its certainly a step up from a pickup with a cap on it...
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #444
Platinum Member

Yes ARV's are awesome for sure. If I were full time I would most likely buy one, but for now it's too expensive. Just saying not everyone needs one or a van with all that capability and a van of lesser capabilities can be just as awesome and useful to the people that bought it if it fits their needs.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #445
Bronze Member

Default Info on the Travato 2017 1/2 54K and 54G

https://youtu.be/0I1FT28IrTE
jbxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #446
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplips View Post
I am pleased 59G owner (16)

21,000 Miles of mostly off the grid camping with a 3 year old.

The limiting factor for us is water and black tank, but we are straight up camping...

We use absolutely zero 120 volt. the two AGM batteries easily gets us through a day with solar, or maybe the occasional idling of the motor to top off after dark so that we can run the truma in Gas mode.

we heat one tank of water a day to do dishes, rarely take real showers, the men use nature's bathroom when convenient.

As a camping vehicle, the stock Travato excels.

I have no interest in bringing all of the comforts of a modern home into the wilderness, but the sleeping arrangements, propane fridge, indoor dining options, and lavatory make extended stays in the wilderness much more comfortable with young kids.

Now, having said that, we hate crowded camp grounds and only use them as a necessity when traveling the interstate. If we find electric, we hook up, but if not no sweat at all. We have never even turned the TV on...

The stereo uses almost no power, nor does the all led lighting system. We stayed parked on a trout stream in CO for 4 days before we thought maybe we should top off water. our propane was barely impacted even with nights in the 30s. the black tank was a 3/4.

Like i said, thats 3 people.

After 4 days we were ready for new surroundings, so a quick stop to dump and top off was no big issue.

As for durability, we have had no issues save for the complete POS screen door which I de-installed in Ohio and threw in a dumpster. Other than that the Travato has held up to all of the abuse a raised-in-the-wild, 3 year old complete maniac boy can throw at it.

We are looking at maybe building a 4x4 ARV or outside van, but neither one really appeals to us. We feel that the ARV is too fancy and dont think it would work for filthy nomadic mountain biker-climber-fishermen.

Also, no bed for the boy.

The outside van has no real Lavatory, which is a deal killer for the Mrs.

Each of the above examples, while super sweet in their own right, cost over $200k.

I am fortunate not to really care all that much about the cost, but I feel like the $74000 Travato is a pretty great adventure platform, for 2016 Suburban money.

If i am going to Blow 200k, I would think about the tiger RV, as the seating configs are great for kids, and they have serious Off-road chops.

The FWD configuration of the promaster is surprisingly great and the chassis is surprisingly durable.

For someone willing to CAMP it adds a surprising level of luxury, if you are truely looking for a backcountry home away from home and want a Kuereg, hair drier, 2x showers a day, i would say look elsewhere.

My point friends, Travato is a great Camper van, not really a full blown motorhome IMHO
Couldn't agree with this more. I could have written it myself; with the possible exception that MY screen door has worked brilliantly.

We have very similar use patterns; We almost exclusively boondock, go back country as often as possible, occasionally have one and sometimes TWO kids with us. We hardly ever use the generator, Air conditioner, Shower or TV, but I'm very happy to have them all!

After a year, and 20,000 miles my Travato G has held up wonderfully, and MORE than exceeded my expectations on all counts. It is an excellent "Touring Coach" and at 1/2, to even 1/4 of the price, of some other popular B's, for me, it was AND IS a no brainer.

Of course, as always; different strokes for different folks.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #447
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
I can't comment on how a 59K looks after months at a dealership. The one we looked at was OK, but we ended up ordering a new one. After the new one arrived at the dealer my wife and I did a full walk through of the RV, before retuning a few days later to pay the remainder of the cost (the down payment required to order the 59K was $5000).
We took six trips last summer - the longest was two weeks (3000 miles), and the others were a mix of 3-5 days. Most of the time we had no hookups; we only had water & electric for 3 nights total, and electric only for 2 more nights.
Howard
Can anyone recommend a dealer from whom we can order a Winnebago Travato 59K? Not concerned so much about traveling to a particular dealer in the US or the dealer service because we will be keeping the vehicle in the Carolinas and / or CA throughout the year.

This will be an all cash deal so we are looking for a dealer who deals fairly and has a good reputation based on someone who has purchased from the dealer.

The dealer who advertises their distance from the manufacturing plan in Iowa was our first choice because they deal with a lot of out of state purchases but I'm not aware of their reputation from a sales perspective.

Thanks in advance.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #448
Platinum Member

You will pay more for ordering a RV as you would ordering a car. Expect a minimum of $5k more vs shopping around for a similar unit. Prices are tightening up now since spring in near. If you can wait, start shopping at the end of the season or in the winter. When I sold RV's, we would take a loss just to get out of the flooring costs in some cases. Great deals are out there if you have the time and self-control. Would you hold off buying one for a few months and spent hours on the phone or internet if someone handed you $10-30K cash?
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #449
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
You will pay more for ordering a RV as you would ordering a car. Expect a minimum of $5k more vs shopping around for a similar unit. Prices are tightening up now since spring in near. If you can wait, start shopping at the end of the season or in the winter. When I sold RV's, we would take a loss just to get out of the flooring costs in some cases. Great deals are out there if you have the time and self-control. Would you hold off buying one for a few months and spent hours on the phone or internet if someone handed you $10-30K cash?
Thanks for the advice. I have been to too many dealers and find the abuse to the RVs in inventory well worth paying a $5K ordering 'surcharge'.

Would you hold off buying one for a few months and spent hours on the phone or internet if someone handed you $10-30K cash?

Absolutely... If anyone knows of a dealer who maintains dealer inventory in a decent condition I would buy from stock.

Without naming names, we have looked at inventory in WGO dealers in Northern CA and Concord NC and were not pleased with the condition of inventory in stock.

Dealers who have been bought out by Camping World seem to rank lower with us.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #450
Platinum Member

First thing, find the true invoice price, add $750, that's your price. Remember, the prep and delivery is already built into the price. A salesman will settle for a $150-200 commission if her or she thinks you will walk and can't grind you anymore. A good tactic is to never sit more than 5 minutes waiting, get up and star looking at a completely different type of RV, it drives them nuts.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #451
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Can anyone recommend a dealer from whom we can order a Winnebago Travato 59K? Not concerned so much about traveling to a particular dealer in the US or the dealer service because we will be keeping the vehicle in the Carolinas and / or CA throughout the year.

This will be an all cash deal so we are looking for a dealer who deals fairly and has a good reputation based on someone who has purchased from the dealer.

The dealer who advertises their distance from the manufacturing plan in Iowa was our first choice because they deal with a lot of out of state purchases but I'm not aware of their reputation from a sales perspective.

Thanks in advance.
If you are going to keep it in the Carolinas, then you might want to check with my dealer in Greenville, SC. Bob Ledford's Adventure Motorhomes. Ask for Josh Martin. You can tell him I sent you. I think they'll treat you more than fairly. Yes, they can handle you paying in full, or not financed as the case may be. Don't know if they can handle actual bundles of 100 bills, but I'm sure they'd figure it out. It shouldn't take 5000 deposit to order a unit - that seems pretty high to me.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #452
Platinum Member

For me, there, it was $500 down in December. Still waiting though!
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #453
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post

Thanks in advance.
Lichsinn (or however you spell it), has an excellent reputation over on the FB Travato Owners and Wannabees site. I didn't personally buy from them, but have heard nothing but good reports. They are a high volume dealer and very competitive, though maybe not the absolute cheapest. I got 23% off MSRP on the sticker locally, and have heard of folks getting up to 25%. As mentioned above, time of year, dealer stock, and many other factors come in to play.. I was willing to pay a little bit to start a relationship with the closest dealer. You might want to join that site, if you haven't already, and pose the question with your approximate location.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #454
Gold Member

Default Dealers

Dayton, Ohio,Forestriver,Itasca Winnebago, RV, Travel Trailer, Fifth Wheel, Dealer, Used, Parts, Accessories, Financing,New Motorhomes, has a good rep also and is very competitive.

I will probably go with Lichtsinn RV as they can mount an extra solar panel and an inverter. I have to ask them about a clear bra. Ray Lewis said they couldn't it.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #455
Platinum Member

The dinette in the 59g makes into a bed. It's a bit lumpy but serviceable. However, there are two large cushions that you need in order to make this bed and those two cushions do nothing but take up space when not being used. Here's my solution.

Those are 3" eye-bolts with 1.5" fender washers. I have acorn nuts on the bed side of the platform and a nut on outside to cinch things up. I got 4 straps at HF. I left the straps long for now but I'll probably trim them down later. I left one cushion off for the photo.

I don't need the cushions every time I go out but even so, when they're strapped up they don't take up too much room.
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #456
Silver Member

I dont bother with the "4th cushion" the one in the water tank is plenty for a persons feet. That being said we have used the dinette bed without either cushion and used the dogs bed at the end of the water tank, so there are ways around hauling the cushions, but for those that want to bring them that is a nice mod to carry them out of the way.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #457
Platinum Member

Yes, nice simple fix if you need all the cushions.

We actually leave both cushions at home unless we are expecting a 4th sleeper.
A 3rd person (our 11 year old), can sleep comfortably on the front bed when made lengthwise: Just reverse the front seat, slide it all the way back, and drop the table. Perfect (wide) single bed for one short person - leaves the passenger seat, aisle, and door free and easy to access!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #458

My problem with this 59G has always been that dang dinette. Not only with the cushions but it is gosh awful uncomfortable and the awful table which is in the way and you bang your legs into. I wish they just put something similar to the small sofa they have in the 70A which jackknifes into a bed and then use the bench area for your feet if you are longer. Maybe a pop up table or some other kind that is out of the way. The tiny sofa in the Era 70A is very very comfortable to sit on.
cjscott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #459
Silver Member

It is my understanding that Winnebago tweaked the table and made it taller to help with banging your legs. In mine I dont have that problem. I bungee mine upright while traveling to make more space for my dogs to lay down and that works great. Recently, while on the factory tour I suggested to the plant manager they should come up with a way to have the table out of the way would be handy.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #460
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscott123 View Post
My problem with this 59G has always been that dang dinette....
That "dang dinette" is why I bought the 59G!

It's our favorite feature. Well, that, the sleeping for four, and the storage under the bed..

The newer system IS definitely better than the first version, and possibly it can be made better, but the big table (workspace) is a huge feature for us.