Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #501
Platinum Member

I have Stow-Away 2 so based on my personal experience and seeing the video below I would likely choose the Rola System because:

1. It seems that Rola seems to swings farther away than Stow-Away so the rear/right Sprinter door could be fully opened, needs verification.
2. The latching mechanism on the Stow-Away is prone to heat warping, needs some gymnastics to function normally.
3. The Rola box can be removed easily, Stow-Away not.
4. The Rola can be stored easier in the garage because of easy separation of the box from the hitch. The box could be left at the campsite with some security.
5. Rola is 1 CF larger.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #502
Platinum Member

Partially inspired by James@FitRV, here's my version of the back wall storage "cabinet" on my G.

Exploratory hole.

Cut out.

Finished and partially filled.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #503
Platinum Member

Oh, that's really clever! I didn't realize there was that much of an air gap between the back wall and bathroom.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #504
Platinum Member

That is nice!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #505
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
I think solar panels may interfere with use of the moveable ladder. The ladder, when detached and moved, hangs on the rack. It looks like the 80W panels, so near the edge, would interfere. In the panel/obstruction/shadow jigsaw, there is now a ladder access piece to fit in.

I'm glad to learn rack mounted panels can be more efficient. Maybe we will get something more out of the ladder/rack beyond just carrying our our chairs!
I just wanted to report that two 100W Zamp panels fit on the WBO rack on the back of a 2017.5 Travato 59K. They "just" fit when we finally got them up there. They clear the protrusions (2 vents, bath fan and Zamp connection box) on the roof fine. The ladder isn't a problem. The WBO provided Zamp panel is next to a 100W Zamp panel having the new mounting channel. The panels are about 10 inches behind the AC unit. Because they are raised on the rack, only about 6 inches of the monster AC towers above them.

This configuration would get shade from AC during late or early hours, if at all. Alternatively two Zamp 80 watt panels can be mounted on each side of the AC. Even though these panels add more wattage I think they would net less due to shading since they fit so directly adjacent to the AC shroud.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #506
Silver Member

Hi Saldar, would it be possible to get a picture of the roof with the two zamp panels? Also, if you have the new style Winnebago made bicycle rack, do you see any possibility of relocating it to a higher position on the door to allow room to use it and a reciever mounted cargo box at the same time? Thanks.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #507
Silver Member

Sorry Saldar, I re-read your earlier posts, so please disregard my bike rack question.
I had a closer look at a few pictures I took at the dealer. The Winnebago Bike Rack looks like it would be difficult to remount higher on the rear door. Also, it looks like the mounting points for the rack would be in the way if you went to install a Fiamma Bike Rack later.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #508
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruch View Post
Hi Saldar, would it be possible to get a picture of the roof with the two zamp panels? Thanks.
Here are the solar panels on our 2017.5 Travato 59K on the WBO rack. They are side-by-side with the long dimensions of the two 100W Zamp panels parallel to the long dimension of the van. There is basically only one way to hang them.
Attached Images
File Type: png panels_top.png (648.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: png panels_side.png (490.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #509
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here are the solar panels on our 2017.5 Travato 59K on the WBO rack. They are side-by-side with the long dimensions of the two 100W Zamp panels parallel to the long dimension of the van. There is basically only one way to hang them.

You have one mono and one poly panel.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #510
Silver Member

Thanks for the pictures Saldar!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #511
Silver Member

Saldar, Thank you for the pictures!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #512
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
You have one mono and one poly panel.
According to the original Zamp stickers on the backs, each panel is mono. They have slightly different specs however. The black one came with the WBO package.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #513
Platinum Member

Quote:
According to the original Zamp stickers on the backs, each panel is mono. They have slightly different specs however. The black one came with the WBO package.
Monocrystalline cells are cut from silicon round ingots and have distinct contour. Your passenger side panel could be polycrystalline or even a thin film, difficult to see it on your photo, it is very unlikely that is monocrystalline. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocrystalline_silicon
Old 10-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #514
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Monocrystalline cells are cut from silicon round ingots and have distinct contour. Your passenger side panel could be polycrystalline or even a thin film, difficult to see it on your photo, it is very unlikely that is monocrystalline. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocrystalline_silicon
This is the new expansion panel from Zamp (the same one the poster used and the same one our neighbour has). The Zamp link and the back of the panel both say mono. Just trying to understand why you(s) don’t think it’s a mono panel???

https://www.zampsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-kits/
Roxy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:16 PM   #515
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
The obliqueness of my photo makes one panel look flat black. Zamp has updated the cell shape and possibly the reflectivity of the glass. Here are ads for the new and old style panels. Both touted as mono, and I think accurately. I hope they both are because these USA panels are quite expensive -- but plug and play if you can get them up there.
Attached Images
File Type: png old_zamp.png (50.8 KB, 179 views)
File Type: png newZamp.png (102.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 AM   #516
Platinum Member

Monocrystalline cells are cut from a cylindrical silicone ingot and have distinct square shape with cut corners. It would be very expensive to cut rectangular shape due to wasted Si material. Polycrystalline cells are usually square but without cut corners.

Another way to differentiate mono versus poly crystallin is their surface, single color on mono and thin film and crystalline on polycrystalline.
Difference between monocrystalline polycrystalline and Amorphous thin film solar cell? | GlassCity.in-promotions of new technology. Technology of the future and its controversial fact.

I don’t see monocrystalline cells on the passenger side panel (post # five zero eight), could be reflection due to a different AR coating, but at least squares should be visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (40.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #517
Silver Member

I had no idea this solar panel thing was so complicated. After reading these comments, I have a few questions about solar panels and the Travato. As I understand it, a Travato equipped with a solar package comes with a 100W Panel, a controller, a plug in terminal connector on the roof that allows for two more solar panels to be connected to the system, and, a plug in terminal on the passenger side of the Travato to allow for an additional solar panel to be connected to the system. Do all panels connected to the system have to be the same size, type of construction, and have the same output as the original 100W panel that comes with the Travato? Is there a risk of damage to the system if you mix size and type of panels? At what point are you overloading the system with too many panels? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #518
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
I had no idea this solar panel thing was so complicated. After reading these comments, I have a few questions about solar panels and the Travato. As I understand it, a Travato equipped with a solar package comes with a 100W Panel, a controller, a plug in terminal connector on the roof that allows for two more solar panels to be connected to the system, and, a plug in terminal on the passenger side of the Travato to allow for an additional solar panel to be connected to the system. Do all panels connected to the system have to be the same size, type of construction, and have the same output as the original 100W panel that comes with the Travato? Is there a risk of damage to the system if you mix size and type of panels? At what point are you overloading the system with too many panels? Thanks.

YOu can connect panels in two ways:

1. in parallel
2. in series

When in parallel, the panels can be of different wattages, but they should be the same voltage.

When in series, the panels should be the same wattage.

ps. the connector box on the roof allows for parallel connection. Same as the socket on the side of the RV.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #519

Last year we came very close to jumping on a Travato 59K. We visited the dealer 3-4 times, over a period of 6 months, and kept coming back to that model. The sticking point, however, was that the driver seat didn't recline sufficiently for my back issues, and since then the prices have been upped, but we still like the layout with all the windows.
RVNoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #520
Platinum Member

Quote:
……………………… Is there a risk of damage to the system if you mix size and type of panels? At what point are you overloading the system with too many panels? Thanks.
This risk doesn’t exist with an MPPT or a PWM charge controller programmed correctly.