Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 01:19 AM   #741
Platinum Member

Default The K is best for only two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
Winnebago is stepping it up...but...my beef is they only supply lap belts for the bench seat behind the driver in the 2019 Travato...the target audience deserves to be able to properly secure their grandchildren and loved ones.

Wish they take an extra step towards passenger safety instead of pushing me to wait for a used Aktiv to come on the market...
Winnebago has been quite clear in their communications that the K was designed for two people. For those with a need to carry more passengers the K is probably not the best choice. I think adding two lap belts on the driver's side bench is probably better than nothing for short trips and/or occasional use. If more than that then the G or another coach would be a safer choice.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #742
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
If more than that then the G or another coach would be a safer choice.
The K does not have a bench seat behind the driver...the G does and that only has lap belts. So the G is not a safer choice and that is what I am whining about...
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #743
Platinum Member

My bad, I wasn't clear about the two seats/twin beds in the K. Some call them couches, some beds, some benches. It's all so confusing - just kidding.

I did not realize the G has only lap belts in the dinette area/seat - that seems like an oversight since the G floorplan can be for more than two people. That's worth a whine.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:15 AM   #744
Platinum Member

Quote:
The K does not have a bench seat behind the driver...the G does and that only has lap belts. So the G is not a safer choice and that is what I am whining about...
Pre-Truma Gs have shoulder harnesses for the bench seat. The Truma required removing the large steel structure that held the harnesses.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:23 AM   #745
Bronze Member

Quote:
Anyone know if a Travato can be ordered without items...to help bring the price down? For example no propane, stove, refrigerator, or black tank???

Travatos, particularly the new lithium series, are very well equipped RVs. They are also longer than 20' and, in the case of the L series, rather expensive. I am hoping Winnebago will move down-market and create an RV to compete with the Hymer Carado series. The VW camper sure introduced a lot of people to RVs. Adventure is your 2nd car! Carado's with lithium have a substantial 2000 watt inverter. Travato L's feature a 3000 watt inverter! How about a smaller unit with scaled-down features Winnebago? I could live with a 1 burner stove and a single Lithium battery.
DougB
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #746
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbaty View Post
Travatos, particularly the new lithium series, are very well equipped RVs. They are also longer than 20' and, in the case of the L series, rather expensive. I am hoping Winnebago will move down-market and create an RV to compete with the Hymer Carado series. The VW camper sure introduced a lot of people to RVs. Adventure is your 2nd car! Carado's with lithium have a substantial 2000 watt inverter. Travato L's feature a 3000 watt inverter! How about a smaller unit with scaled-down features Winnebago? I could live with a 1 burner stove and a single Lithium battery.
DougB
Travato is already down-market compared to it's competitors-roadtrek-pleasureway etc are more expensive. why do you think travato is the biggest seller. Price is a big reason.

The L series is actually a different category
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #747
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbaty View Post
DougB
How much is a 1-burner stove going to save you? $9.95?

A single Lithium battery is not cost effective. This has been discussed in other threads. What is wrong with 2-AGM batteries?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #748
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

A single Lithium battery is not cost effective. This has been discussed in other threads. What is wrong with 2-AGM batteries?
roadtrek went to 2 minimum ecotreks because 1 would not work correctly
Old 04-12-2018, 03:02 PM   #749
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

+1 on both counts.
You might delete a burner for the sake of space, But not cost.

As for batteries, lithium makes huge batteries feasible if you want or need them, but at significant cost, both financial and in complexity and hassle of ownership. It makes little sense to use Li in applications where AGM will suffice.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #750
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
+1 on both counts.
You might delete a burner for the sake of space, But not cost.

As for batteries, lithium makes huge batteries feasible if you want or need them, but at significant cost, both financial and in complexity and hassle of ownership. It makes little sense to use Li in applications where AGM will suffice.
So Pleasureway really screwed it up?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #751
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So Pleasureway really screwed it up?

Bud
Lithium batteries are the 'in thing'. can't fight a wave
Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #752
Platinum Member

Default One but not only reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Travato is already down-market compared to it's competitors-roadtrek-pleasureway etc are more expensive. why do you think travato is the biggest seller. Price is a big reason.

The L series is actually a different category
Price is one reason the Travato is a best seller, and perhaps even the main reason. But, there are other issues for sure. Winnebago has stepped up their innovation big time with the L series. Embracing Truma Cobi systems, the Revel, dual pane windows, etc. is putting Winnebago B Class vans out in front in many ways.

Also, while not the highest quality by any means, at least their products seem intelligently designed/tested and reasonably well put together. And perhaps the biggest thing is they have thoughtfully designed floorplans.

We could afford a Roadtrek or Pleasure-Way but every time I step into an Agile I get hives from the claustrophobic layout and the dark ceiling to floor fake wood cabinetry. They're built on a MB chassis, not a DeLorean, so they don't need to look like the 1970's. And I'd don't get the bath. If you are going to put a bath in B then make it a usable one. I guess if you are really tiny the Agile bath might suffice but jeez. Winnebago and P-W do better here.

The P-W is a nice layout, very good quality, but for us still feels old fashioned. It's too luxurious for what we want to use a van for, driving down dirt forest services roads and having our big dog inside and cooking up a storm. A Travato would be better at all those things with the big exception of poor ground clearance and no 4X4 option.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #753

Default Thanks for this

Exactly what I was looking for.
Willustrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:33 AM   #754
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willustrator View Post
Exactly what I was looking for.
Glad to help. Over 3000 miles test and it was rock solid. Easy to drop to open the back doors. Clears the ladder. Notice that the Curt tire mount is for the front. The tilt angle is not as severe.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:33 AM   #755
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
The 2019 Travato has dual-pane windows as an option. I think that is a nice thing to have, because it deadens noise quite a bit.

It is nice to see improvements in models that are not just some new trim or just useless gewgaws. Having dual pane windows is a big step up.
I would think carefully before ordering this option. Not only is it expensive, IMO, it's not ready for prime time. The window is not glass but acrylic and is prone to scratching and also yellowing with time if exposed to UV outside for lengthy periods. I'm familiar with tail light warranties but WGO takes it a step further - their warranty for this option is: ZERO. Lichtsinn will not order this option for their inventory and apparently will supply them only if the customer demands them. Smart move.

See 15:30 and 16:48 on the link.

https://www.lichtsinn.com/product/ne...59gl-861718-13
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 AM   #756
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I would think carefully before ordering this option. Not only is it expensive, IMO, it's not ready for prime time. The window is not glass but acrylic and is prone to scratching and also yellowing with time if exposed to UV outside for lengthy periods. I'm familiar with tail light warranties but WGO takes it a step further - their warranty for this option is: ZERO. Lichtsinn will not order this option for their inventory and apparently will supply them only if the customer demands them. Smart move.

Are they the standard Seitz windows?

Here are some tips on keeping them in good shape...

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/...nd-a-few-tips/
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #757
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Are they the standard Seitz windows?

Here are some tips on keeping them in good shape...

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/...nd-a-few-tips/

I don't know whether they are Seitz windows. But when a vendor expresses their reluctance to sell a profitable dual pane window other than as is and where is, I'm inclined to take that as a tactful message to steer clear.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:18 AM   #758
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post

This is correct. Ron L. will not order these windows unless it's a customer order and then only after a good schooling about them. That dealer has seen too many 3-4-5 year old trade ins and others that these windows are almost too scratched and yellowed to even see through. (I've seen some on their lot)

WGO doesn't warranty any of the equipment they install. It's the manufacturer of that equipment that warranties them. WGO warranties the install of the particular item as do most other RV manufacturers

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:25 AM   #759
Bronze Member

while I don't own these windows I have had acrylic windscreens on motorcycles and maintained acrylic type aircraft windows - yes they require more care and maintenance but the trade off is being able to fully open them even when its raining - their is a weight savings as well I would guess - I have been lurking and wanting a travato and personally would not get one without these new windows
RickNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 AM   #760
Platinum Member

Looking back at TheFitRV's video of the 59GL and comparing the windows to Dometic's S7 acrylic windows, if Winnebago isn't using the Dometic they're using a convincing knockoff. I haven't been able to find anything on whether those windows have any UV protection or not.

While I'm a bit apprehensive about what could happen to acrylic windows in the long term, I've never liked the glass side windows that came with the Travato or the Paseo. Whatever shortcomings these acrylic windows might have, at least they open in a way that the rain will run off & not into the interior when left cracked open, which is something I do frequently.

It will be interesting to hear the reports of owners who choose the acrylic windows over the next several years.